PDA

View Full Version : General Bandsaws?

Vince Shriver
06-05-2008, 9:40 PM
Anyone have experience with the General (made in Canada) 690 or 490 Bandsaws? See alot of discussion re Rikon, Griz, Euro bandsaws, but rarely if any about General. They look to be excellent tools.

Don Kondra
06-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Vince,

I've got the 490 and love it :)

I get the impression the price scares many ww'ers away, for a little less $ you can get larger resaw capacity, etc...

28 years later and it's humming like new... I had a pair of blade bearing guides gifted to me and haven't seen the need/got around to trying them yet..

Cheers, Don

Vince Shriver
06-07-2008, 1:52 PM
Thanks, Don. 28 yrs. - now that's an endorsement! BTW, nice table you built there.

Garth Hulley
06-07-2008, 9:11 PM
Vince

If you can manage the price of General tools, they are well worth the investment because you only have to pay for a tool once. Like Don’s bandsaw, my Model 130 planer is 27 year old, gets used almost daily, and has never had to have any repairs.

As for the 490 bandsaw, it is an excellent machine. I keep a ¼ inch blade on mine for everyday use. I bought it last year second hand.

With General, they do not make many changes to their machines over the years. Therefore, old machines still have parts available.

Garth