PDA

View Full Version : Improved dust collection?

Tom Peterson
04-12-2004, 9:35 PM
I am in the process of putting my saw back together now that it is in the basement. I was wondering if I should try to seal the base to improve the dust collection. The Unisaw, it has a metal floor that is angled to the dust collection port. Where edge of this plate meets the cabinet, there is a gap that is between .060" and .125". I was thinking of cauking the gap to prevent dust from going out and improving the suction. Appropriate or overboard?

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 9:50 PM
Tom, use foil tape to seal the floor--I did this on my Jet saw a couple of years ago with great results. It will help keep fine dust from sifting under the saw and help the necessary air for dust collection to come from areas that will direct the flow from the blade to the port. HVAC foil tape is good stuff for this purpose as well as for sealing any duct work. Contrary to first appearances, "duct tape" is about the worst thing you can use as the adhesive gives way in a relatively short period of time. The foil tape will not come off without a "whole lot of encouragement"!

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Yea....what Jim Becker said.!!!! ;)

I did the same thing with a "good quality" foil tape and she works good that way. Stopping leaks is "key" to keep your CFM air flow where you need it most!