PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Recycle

Richard Madison
06-05-2008, 4:29 PM
OK I just had to attempt one of Malcolm’s ribbons. Tried to stop myself and could not. But I cleverly managed to include virtually every mistake one can make, all in this one little piece. Some may be obvious in the picture, some not so much. It’s not a space shuttle mission, but is best to get every step of the process right along the way, so that last joint will fit.

The piece is approx. 7”x7”x12-1/2”. Larger would have been easier, if you are going to try one. Mostly oak, salvaged from a pallet (hence the name “Recycle”), and a little walnut, sanded through 320, with sanding sealer “finish” and lightly buffed.

Comments/critique welcome.

Benjamin Dahl
06-05-2008, 4:35 PM
Richard, very cool and ambitious. keep up the good work.
Ben

curtis rosche
06-05-2008, 4:43 PM
thats neat, i have a friend who just made 2 riddons from cherry. they looked good but they were a little thick, i guess thicker makes it easier to glue up...... i was going to do one but then i started looking at the angle for staved construction i became confused and gave up.... if you put some white on that peice it could loot like a piano.... great peice.

Bruce Pennell
06-05-2008, 5:16 PM
Richard great piece, remember half the fun is in the learning....its great to try something new.....I like it.....Bruce

Robert McGowen
06-05-2008, 6:28 PM
Very nice Richard. You get to work on your turning skills and practice your patience all at the same time!

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2008, 7:39 PM
Great looking piece. As was said half the fun is learning.

Allen Neighbors
06-05-2008, 9:04 PM
Well done, Richard! You've got more guts than I. :D

Gary Herrmann
06-05-2008, 9:22 PM
I think it looks great. I'll have to try that some day.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2008, 9:58 PM
Impressive Richard! If you included your mistakes - you sure did a good job on hiding them! Very nice work!

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Richard, I remember well my first ribbon. I came up with the technique but until I actually completed one, I wasn't absolutely certain that it would come together. This technique really displays the effect of “cumulative error”. For those that would like to try this particular shape, it requires three bottomless bowls, all the same diameter, same wall thickness, and all with a 45-degree slope angle. The technique can be used for an unlimited number of shapes; not to mention the wood combinations.

Richard – good job; think how easy the next one will be.

Richard Madison
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Malcolm! The next one will be a whole world easier, and much better. A small local gallery wants this one, but am very reluctant to put it "out there" knowing what's wrong with it, even though it looks ok to the uninitiated. Will try to get motivated to make them a "good" one.

Richard Madison
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
And thanks to all for the kind words and support. Give it a try y'all. If I made one, how hard could it be?

TYLER WOOD
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Richard, take some advice given to me by an atr collector/dealer. Art lovers do not want perfect. They see beauty in the piece, even more when they can tell it's done by hand and not machines. The mistakes are character that makes each piece individuals. Don't hesitate to put something in a gallery when some one asks. They are asking for it because they see the potential, not the mistakes!!! If you wait for perfection or something better, you might miss out on sales befor! Good luck and put that thing in there! Nice work by the way.

Bob Opsitos
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Rich, that's awesome. Good job.

I've been wanting to make one ever since I read malcolm's book. The main thing taht stops me is having to make 3 things the same. I suck at duplicates and honestly don't have a lot of patience for it and hence don't enjoy it. That and putting a ton of work into something that might not work out dampens my desire as well.

Even with all that I really, really love that form so one day I know I'll undertake it.

Bob

robert hainstock
06-06-2008, 3:22 PM
So it looks good to me. the LOML frequently tells me that I'm the only one who will know(???) I remember reading that the second one is always the best. In any lite, those things are awesome. :D:D:D
Bob

Richard Madison
06-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks some more, guys.

Interesting advice, Tyler, and I intend to follow it. Will price it modestly and see what happens.

Bob, I rarely make more than two of anything, so 3 was a challenge. Especially trying to make them identical. They were close, but must do a better job of that next time. Knew it was going to be a lot of work and might end up as fire wood, but I had to know if I could make a ribbon, and there was only one way to find out.

Been debating with self recently re. the concept of "practice" pieces, and have decided to abandon all thoughts of "practice". Too often have heard self say "If I had known that it was going to turn out that good, I would have tried harder". So forget "practice". Do your best on every piece. A few will still become fire wood, but you can not succeed if you do not try. Just some thoughts that may not work for everybody.

Robert, my sweetie tells me that too. About half the time my second one is not as good as the first, but intend to try harder on the second ribbon.

Tim A. Mitchell
06-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Richard, looks great! I think you have good advice on the "practice piece" as well. Several times I have looked at things and wished I had done a step to my best ability, because all other aspects came out well.

Can't wait to see the next.

Richard Madison
06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks Tim.

David Newson
06-07-2008, 3:22 AM
Richard - That's a real good very arty piece, and wish you well in its sale should fetch a good price, Its always good to try different things or you never know your own capability's.

Richard Madison
06-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks David.