PDA

View Full Version : Folding outfeed table for Saw Stop or support?

jason lambert
06-05-2008, 4:05 PM
I need some sort of outfeed table or something for my sawstop. It has to be able to fold away right now I am using a cheap single roller ting that doesn't work to well. Any idears?

I saw this and it looked intresting
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20511
Anyone ever use one?

Dick Adair
06-05-2008, 4:13 PM
Jason, look under cabinet saw at this site. The last picture shows a nice one that may give you some ideas.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031225063818/home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/

jason lambert
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Perfect that is what I am looking for maybe I will try to make one. All the pics didn't show up wonder how that center leg reaches and adjusts. I also don't see a fence in his saw???

Michael Poller
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Wouldn't that be problematic to use when also using a sled or other jig that runs in your saws miter slots?

I see most all of the homemade outfeed tables extend the miter slots to accomodate the use of sleds and jigs.

That would make terrific sense of a table extension to the right or left of the blade, but as outfeed how would you account for sleds and jigs? Or are those adjustable for height once installed? They appear to bolt right to the rails with no adjustability.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Jason, I see no reason why the folding outfeed table that I have posted on my web site wouldn't work well for your needs.

jason lambert
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
jim is that the link above or can you post the link. I think I can modify t so a sled will work.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Click on my name, Jason... ;)

I used a variety of sleds on that saw with no problem. While I had extended (and wider) miter slots in the fixed portion, there is no reason you couldn't make them longer into the folding portion if your arrangement required it.

Michael Poller
06-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I like your outfeed table Jim. Pretty much exactly what I am thinking of building for my saw. I really like the idea of it being foldable so it can drop out of the way when not in use for space considerations.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 1:00 PM
Michael, that's exactly why I designed it as a folding setup originally...my shop was a lot smaller and the space needs changed from time to time.

John Cole
06-06-2008, 7:49 PM
I have used the HTC rollers on my table saw for about 5 years - works great, very conveinient. When it is in the down position there are two heights - one to move it out of the way when you re using a sled.

Eric Friedman
12-11-2016, 9:11 AM
Michael, that's exactly why I designed it as a folding setup originally...my shop was a lot smaller and the space needs changed from time to time.

Jim, are these plans still available? Your web site is not functioning

Jim Becker
12-11-2016, 9:38 AM
Jim, are these plans still available? Your web site is not functioning

Let me see if I can attach it here...

Grant Wilkinson
12-11-2016, 9:40 AM
Eric: I made one using the plans in Woodworkers Journal, originally published in 2009. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting a .pdf of the article, but I believe that the Journal makes their old issues available.

Shawn Pixley
12-11-2016, 10:34 AM

I shamelessly stole Jim's design and installed it on my SS.

glenn bradley
12-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't that be problematic to use when also using a sled or other jig that runs in your saws miter slots?

I see most all of the homemade outfeed tables extend the miter slots to accomodate the use of sleds and jigs.

That would make terrific sense of a table extension to the right or left of the blade, but as outfeed how would you account for sleds and jigs? Or are those adjustable for height once installed? They appear to bolt right to the rails with no adjustability.

I have had a couple of outfeeds with the miter slots extended into them. My latest version just sets3/8" below the tablesaw table and the miter bars ride on it. Not saying one or the other is the way to go, just stating that the fact that my outfeed is not dead-even with the tablesaw top is of no consequence for me.

Jim Becker's outfeed on his web site is probably just what you are looking for. I was going to grab a link but, the site is under maintenance at the moment.

Eric Friedman
12-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Success! Thank you sir!

Jim Becker
12-11-2016, 8:44 PM
I shamelessly stole Jim's design and installed it on my SS.

The general design lends itself to pretty much any kind of North American design saw; cabinet or contractors' style with adjustments to dimensions, etc. It worked well for me when I had a cabinet saw for sure, especially since my shop was more constrained for space at that point and being able to drop that table down to free up additional floor space for assembly and finishing was a nice feature.

Ted Prinz
12-11-2016, 9:59 PM
I was laid up this past spring and spent a LOT of time watching YouTube videos. One of the younger workers out there is April Wilkerson. She did a folding outfeed table for her SawStop. I think it is deserving of a serious look. Link is here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g66UhNaxivo

Ole Anderson
12-12-2016, 8:52 AM
Adapted this one from a Wood magazine version, made it a bit smaller than the original.

Doug Garson
12-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Adapted this one from a Wood magazine version, made it a bit smaller than the original.
I made one like that for my saw, here's the video I followed. This design supports the outfeed table from the saw not the floor therefore doesn't depend on a level floor and allows you to move the saw with the outfeed table in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6s3rzF8jg&t=124s

Bob Elliott
12-12-2016, 3:33 PM
Eric: I made one using the plans in Woodworkers Journal, originally published in 2009. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting a .pdf of the article, but I believe that the Journal makes their old issues available.

+1

I built the WWJ outfeed table last spring. I don't know how I worked without it.

My table saw is on a home-made mobile base so I can push it against the wall when I am not using it. I like this plan because the outfeed table rests against the saw base not the floor when you set it up. No floor is perfectly level so I was concerned about having to adjust legs every time I used the outfeed table if I used a design that went to the floor. The Woodworker's Journal design is perfect for my shop.

Bob

Bob Elliott
12-12-2016, 3:40 PM
BTW Rockler has the WWJ plans here:

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/building-outfeed-table-mount-table-stand-support/

Link to plans: http://www.rockler.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/OutfeedTable.pdf

Cliff Polubinsky
12-12-2016, 6:30 PM
Jason,

Look up the Craftsman 22124 and see if you can find a parts list. That saw had a fold down outfeed. I've used the bracket to make a outfeed for my Sawstop. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

Cliff