PDA

View Full Version : Twin screw vise questions

NICK BARBOZA
06-05-2008, 1:01 PM
I am getting ready to build my workbench. I have been reading Lon Schleining's book "the Workbench" this is a great book and i have been learing ALOT from it. One thing i am sure of for my bench is that i am planning to install a twin screw vise.

I was planning on the Veritas twin screw vise but i just recently came across the Lie-Nelson twin screw. I am leaning towards the Veritas because of the larger possible distance and the variable distance between the screws.

I am looking for input on the Lie-Nelson twin screw and twin screws in general. any thoughts and input is appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Casey Carr
06-05-2008, 3:32 PM
There's a veritas twin screw vise for sale on a popular online auction site (not sure I can call the website out). Just spotted it this morning. Was at $50, but quite a few days left on it I believe. And if it tops $100, there's a code for $20 off on the home page. I'd give a link to the actual page, but that site is blocked here at work.

Ken Garlock
06-05-2008, 4:59 PM
Hi Nick. I agree that Lon's book is excellent. You might also want to get Chris Schwarz' Workbenches book.

I have the Lee Valley twin screw in a box waiting to be installed on my "under construction" bench. I am sure that the twin screw version from Lie-Nielsen is a high quality product, but it does not appear to have the capacity of the LV vise. Another thing is that the LN vise is noticeably more costly, and the wooden handle is an extra cost item.

Some people have complained about problems mounting the LV vise. I have read the instructions that come with the vise, and they are clear with drawings and tips about installation. It appears to me that if you follow the instructions exactly, you will have a successful installation.

Cameron Reddy
06-06-2008, 12:58 AM
I love my LV twin screw vise. The difficult part of the installation was drilling the holes for the guide rods "dead on balls" parallel.

Cameron

Dewey Torres
06-06-2008, 1:05 AM
Can't speak for the LN but I haven't heard many complaints about the Veritas. I have it on my bench and I think it may be the best... if not, then certainly one of the top vises you can buy.
Dewey

John Thompson
06-06-2008, 1:10 AM
I have a LV twin screw on the end of my bench that has served me well for around 5 years. It is probably right behind the large, school type pencil sharpener on getting used everyday.

How well do I like a twin screw"... enough I put two front vises on the side of the bench that act as a larger between the screws vise with independent action. By using a tapered piece of stock in front of the jaw that runs vise to vise... I can put 32" between for canting. Works just as well with a straight piece of stock to hold very long stock for edge jointing with a hand plane also.

Twin screw are you might say... "my main ride" on the bench. :)

Sarge..

Rob Luter
06-06-2008, 6:20 AM
I love my LV Twin Screw.