PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi router bits

Greg Magone
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
A few years back I got a nice set of Ryobi router bits from Home Depot. It was probably 40 bits or so for about $100. I finally got around to using the bits but unfortunately found they burned pretty bad when I routed cross grain on pine or hardwood, and occasionally burned with the grain on soft wood.

Is this typical for these router bits? I haven't had much experience with Oldham bits. I've used Freud router bits a lot and never had burning problems with them - and that's really key when using a router bit.

I'd appreciate any info you have.

Edit - The bits are not Oldham Viper, they are Ryobi router bits with a carbide face. My mistake

Brian Weick
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
that is like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Volkswagen beetle~ no offense to you, but they are not the best out there that is for sure, they fall along side HF router bits, although, are you using the appropriate speed on the router ~ ? just a thought, Freud bits , in my mind are top notch and very well designed and the machining is phenomenal. one brand that I have had good luck with are the MLS bits, 66 pc set ,a nice wood case with profile index labels, $189.00 I paid 3 years ago and have had no problems as of yet. I am not to sure about MLS raised panel bits and large profile bits, a little weary about those, although they may be fine , so as far as that ,I can't give you an experienced opinion on that but the 66 bit set has been good to me.
Just my 2 cents,
Brian

Doug Shepard
06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I've only got one - a 1/2 shank, rather long 1/2 single flute straight bit. Couldn't pass up the price during a going out of biz sale at the now defunct Home Quarters. It's probably around 15 years old but doesn't see constant use. I cant tell any difference in cut quality with other similar bits I've got from Amana, CMT, Eagle, Freud, etc.

Brian Gumpper
06-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't want to sound like an idiot but are you sure they are Oldham Viper. I've never known them to sell in sets like that especially at those prices. They were never known to be the best bit but your results should be better.

Charles McCracken
06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't want to sound like an idiot but are you sure they are Oldham Viper. I've never known them to sell in sets like that especially at those prices. They were never known to be the best bit but your results should be better.

I think you may be correct about the sets. If I recall correctly they used to sell Asian made sets under the Hickory brand and not as Viper.

Brian Gumpper
06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
You still see Hickory out there, they are the white ones. The Oldham Viper bits have always been yellow.

Look what I found, I doubt this is the Oldham we all know and can't imagine this doesn't infringe on trademarks unless PC licensed the rights to the name.

http://www.amazon.com/Oldham-OHMRB40-Masters-Carbide-40-Piece/dp/B00134UU20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212681712&sr=1-1

Lee Schierer
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I have a couple of Viper bits yellow) that I picked up at a wood show because of the price. I had similar problems with them first time I used them not cutting cleanly and burning the wood. I also noticed on one bit that the contur wasn't groned smoothly and it leave ridges in the cut like a jointer that hit a nail. Now I buy Freud bits, which may cost more, but have always deliuvered god burn free cuts.

scott spencer
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM
You still see Hickory out there, they are the white ones. The Oldham Viper bits have always been yellow.

Look what I found, I doubt this is the Oldham we all know and can't imagine this doesn't infringe on trademarks unless PC licensed the rights to the name.

http://www.amazon.com/Oldham-OHMRB40-Masters-Carbide-40-Piece/dp/B00134UU20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212681712&sr=1-1

Doesn't B&D now own the PC, Hickory, and Oldham names?

Greg Magone
06-05-2008, 9:09 PM
Doesn't B&D now own the PC, Hickory, and Oldham names?

I'm sorry...they aren't Viper, they are Oldham Hickory bits. My mistake.