PDA

View Full Version : Jointer help

Rob Hough
06-05-2008, 8:05 AM
I've got a Grizzly 1182HW 6" jointer that I don't have a clue how to use. When I run a board through it I get a "slapping" like effect towards the end of the board. After inspecting the board I see only what I can describe as "snipe". I'm going to assume part of this is poor technique on my end but I also want to rule out any setting issues with the jointer itself. Any ideas?

Matt Day
06-05-2008, 8:07 AM
Is your outfeet table too low (below the top of your knives)?

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
06-05-2008, 8:37 AM
I've got a Grizzly 1182HW 6" jointer that I don't have a clue how to use. When I run a board through it I get a "slapping" like effect towards the end of the board. After inspecting the board I see only what I can describe as "snipe". I'm going to assume part of this is poor technique on my end but I also want to rule out any setting issues with the jointer itself. Any ideas?

Rob,

Do a search on the internet for "jointer adjustment" and you will find many usefull links on how to set up your jointer and how to use it. Here is a great link for a video on how to set your jointer knives.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2983839096587014177

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Stephen Edwards
06-05-2008, 8:58 AM
Ditto Matt's and Charles's advice.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Rob, I have litle experience with a jointer, but someone else on this site gave me the link to this article and it is very helpful in setting up a jointer. Good Luck!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html (http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html)

J. Z. Guest
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Is your outfeet table too low (below the top of your knives)?

I had the same problem as you Rob, but without the slapping. The outfeed table was indeed not level with the knives. It was an easy fix.

Now I use my jointer to make the final pass after thicknessing to remove that snipe too!

Rob Hough
06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. The outfeed table was indeed lower than the blades. I raised the table and things went much more smoothly. I still think my technique is suffering a bit but I have plenty of scraps to work with.

I started looking the jointer over a bit and noticed that the packing grease (or whatever it ships in) was still caked around the cutter head. I sprayed brake cleaner onto a rag and cleaned it off.

I also took the time to clean the both the infeed and outfeed tables, and the fence as well. I just got through waxing them all and I'm about to get ready go down and buff them.

One thing did trouble me though. I used what straight edges I had and placed it against the fence. There was nearly 1/16" different from the outfeed side to the infeed side. Is it my straight edge or it possible that fence is just that far off? I'm hoping it's the cheap borg bought straight edges I have, but I guess it could be worse...

Anyone in the Indianapolis area with a decent straight they can loan me for a day? I can't afford a nice one right now - but it just made its way to the top of my list of tools, thats for darned sure!