PDA

View Full Version : Go Wings!!!!!!

Keith Starosta
06-05-2008, 7:52 AM
Congratualations to the Detroit Red Wings for winning their 4th Stanley Cup in 11 years!!!! :D

It was a great series, that was good for hockey in general. The ratings were up, and more people that I know were talking about it.

GO WINGS!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/2552790407_e3e7524087.jpg

Peter Stahl
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Great series, what a battle they had. Both teams deserved to win but the Wings definitely were clicking as a team.

Brent Ring
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Glad you started this thread, Keith. If you had not I was going to!

It was a great series. The 'Wings showed what it takes to be a cup winner.

Lets see if we can do it again next year!

Greg Cole
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I too was going to start this, but there's not alot of puckheads here so glad someone else did.
Been a Wing nut since they were known as the Dead Things. I've lived and died vicariously every damn year. The huge highs and epic lows are well known to me & makes this year a tad sweeter.
We might lose Cheli, guaranteed we saw the last of Dom in game 4 against Nashville, but other than that... we all but have the same roster for 09.;)
Some of the best Cup playoff games in years & years for sure.
The "experts" can take their talk of A Euro led team being soft, blah blah blah and STUFF IT.

Greg

Joe Chritz
06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Games 5 and 6 were some of the best games I have ever watched.

I thought they should have given the Conn Smythe to Fleury. What a game he had in #5, in my opinion he is the primary reason there was a game 6. It is tough to beat a team that stops 55 shots.

Nobody from the Penguins has anything to be ashamed of and that Malone is one tough SOB.

I am just glad to have the cup back where it belongs.

Joe

Greg Cole
06-05-2008, 2:36 PM
I thought they should have given the Conn Smythe to Fleury.

Joe,
The only reason I'd toss him a bone is he scored the 3rd goal for the Wings and all. Z gets credit for it, but (yes pun intended).;)
Even if his can doesn't knock it in, Datsyuk was hammering away as he the only one on the ice that knew the puck was free other than the ref behind the net.
Much like the attempt by Sid with no time left... Oz knew it wasn't in the net. Cleary was standing there like "OH CRAP, NOT AGAIN"... until he saw Oz put his arms up and the blue light flashing.

Greg

Jim Becker
06-05-2008, 4:53 PM
A community member at an adoption forum I participate offered this great anecdote about a discussion they had last night with their child:

So, last night M and I are laying on my bed watching the game. He is hockey-illiterate, so I am doing lots of explaining. He asks what the team in black was called and I said, "the Penguins." He said, "I am going to root for them. Penguins are neat animals." I explained to him that they were playing the Red Wings, which is Aunt Tracie and Aunt Kristi's favorite team. He replied, "I don't really like Red Wings. They are too spicy." Took me a minute, but then I realized he was talking about hot wings! I didn't bother to correct him.

And here I also thought that Red Wings were something you trundled off to Hooters for... :D

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2008, 8:45 PM
Even though I root for the Stars, I said before that series that the Red Wings were going to win it all. So I too congratulate them. But watch out for the Stars next year!! Jim.

Keith Starosta
06-05-2008, 9:34 PM
For those Wings fans out there across the country that might be interested in watching their victory parade, Detroit's ABC affiliate will be broadcasting the entire thing over the 'net, live as it happens! I know I'll be watching!! You can get more information about it by going to their website (http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=d064610a-e442-4cfc-89c9-77d756586880).

Doug Shepard
06-05-2008, 9:40 PM
And here I also thought that Red Wings were something you trundled off to Hooters for... :D

Aren't they the boots I bought a while back:confused::confused:

Bill Cunningham
06-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Games 5 and 6 were some of the best games I have ever watched.

I thought they should have given the Conn Smythe to Fleury. What a game he had in #5, in my opinion he is the primary reason there was a game 6. It is tough to beat a team that stops 55 shots.

Nobody from the Penguins has anything to be ashamed of and that Malone is one tough SOB.

I am just glad to have the cup back where it belongs.

Joe

Actually, it 'belongs' in Canada!!! :D Oh well, even when it's in the U.S., it's mostly Canadians playing other Canadians anyway.. ha.. Go Leafs!!! Oh ya!!! they went a long time ago didn't they :rolleyes:

James Carmichael
06-06-2008, 7:47 AM
Boo, hiss!

Go Stars!

Seriously, the Wings (aka Evil Empire around these parts;) are an awesome team, it's like watching a bunch of big kids play keep-away with a hockey puck against a bunch of smaller kids.

So will Chelios please retire now.

Keith Starosta
06-06-2008, 9:07 AM
James, Cheli is telling anyone that will listen that he definitely wants to come back and play another year. Ken Holland (Wings GM) was quoted as saying there is definite interest in having him remain a player on the team. Unreal....I'm hoping to still be able to walk and spell my name when I'm 47, let alone play the most grueling professional sport out there!! ;) :D

- Keith

Greg Cole
06-06-2008, 9:29 AM
I'll be watching the parade this morning wishing I was there.....this is the first year in 8 years I didn't se a game at the Joe.:(
Cheli might be back, depends on his pride & reaction to being parked for the final 6 games. He took it well as far as we know, but during the SCPO's it's not a time to get on the soapbox and complain about ice time or being a healthy scratch.
If Cheli's done as a player, I'm thinking he'll hang around the organ-I-zation in some capacity or another. Rumors of one of our assistant coaches looking for a head coaching position started this spring, so Cheli's a shoe in for D coach. We're deep as hell on the back end and have kids lined up in Grand Rapids needing a roster slot.....
Bah, I can ramble on & on here.
I'll shuddap for now.

Greg

Jason Roehl
06-06-2008, 9:30 AM
Go Wings! I was just bummed because I couldn't watch any of the games. They used to be on ABC, but this year they were on some other weird cable channel here that our wonderful new provider (Comquacks) doesn't include in the normal packages. Oh, well, Detroit in general needs all the positive news it can get these days from what I hear...

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 9:38 AM
Jason...there is a solution. Bag Comcast. I just did for DirectTV. 'Got tired of the poor quality HD, continued loss of channels as they tried to force various "packages" and dishonesty about the true cost of adding another box. For the next year, we have substantially more programing (including many HD channels with excellent MPEG4 quality) for about $5 more than I was paying for Comcast's basic service + Digital Plus + HD. (Eventually I'll have FiOS, but that's not an option now)

Jason Roehl
06-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I've certainly considered that, Jim. But, I've been in a few customers' houses who had DirecTV, and they kept losing signal on days that were just above breezy. Annoyed the heck out of me. That, and Comcast also provides the internet for us, with Verizon DSL being the only high-speed alternative--and we don't even have a landline right now (good cell reception here, so I saw no need when we moved in). For now, Comcast isn't TOO bad, but I think that's just because there's still some legacy Insight Communications service and hardware there...

Greg Cole
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Jason,
The final 4 games were on NBC. I am guessing Comcast has that in your area....?
Unfortunatley for me, the commentators were (are) unbearable.

Greg

Jason Roehl
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Jason,
The final 4 games were on NBC. I am guessing Comcast has that in your area....?
Unfortunatley for me, the commentators were (are) unbearable.

Greg

Oops. Did not know that. I had given up earlier in the playoffs. I think I had checked on the first game or so of the finals and didn't find them on a channel I got, so I just bagged the idea of watching them. I do get NBC, though (affiliate WTHR out of Indy).