PDA

View Full Version : Corel X4 Object Manager

Justin Harrington
06-05-2008, 4:31 AM
Wonder if anyone else out there has picked this up, in X3 when you created an object it would appear in the object manager along with the details of it's fill and outline width, in X4 it only shows the object and no details as to fill and outline. Am I missing something here? Tried to find help in the Help Index but nothing there. If someone knows how to get X4 to show all the details please let me know.

Thanks

Frank Corker
06-05-2008, 4:45 AM
Actually Justin I found that there were a few things that I didn't like about X4, so much so that I have returned to using X3 because the benefits were not worth the anoyance. I run XP because Vista 'isn't there yet' and I suspect that a lot of the changes have been because of that. The most annoying things are the way it displays the fonts and when using the trace facility the graphics in the area where you can increase or decrease the tolerances, don't always show up. For those reasons I changed back and it doesn't suprise me that you have found another change!

Craig Hogarth
06-05-2008, 6:25 AM
I don't have X4 and probably would've gotten it eventually until I read this post. I can't imagine going through the object manager without any details. How are you able to find anything?

Justin Harrington
06-05-2008, 8:56 AM
It does show you what's there just not the details ie. if you draw a square it will show a square in the object manager with the word SQUARE next to it, it just doesn't show you the fill or outline details which is what you need the most. There may be a way of getting it to show but I haven't be able to figure it out???

Ed Bagley
06-05-2008, 2:58 PM
If you go to the top of your Object Mgr fly-out, theres a arrow on right side for additional options...click on it then click on Hide Object Properties...When you go to page and highlight on object, the properties of that object pop up.

Bill Cunningham
06-05-2008, 9:11 PM
Does anyone know how to make it recognize a grid created with the grid tool as a 'valid' object for the powerclip? The ability to power clip a photo into a grid, then separate it into individual tiles for engraving is now gone in x4 I have to do it in 12 or 8 then run it.. If they don't bring out a patch for some of this stuff soon, I'm going to email corel and tell them I want to swap this defective software for X3. If all this stuff works in Vista, I still don't want to 'downgrade' to Vista, and run yet another piece of defective software

Justin Harrington
06-06-2008, 4:01 AM
Thanks Ed.
For the life of me I couldn't figure that one out, shearched the entire net, just shows you why it's worth being part of this community.

Ed Bagley
06-06-2008, 4:37 PM
Bill: Like you I was familiar with X3 but playing around with X4 came up with this solution:
(1) Import picture (2) Create a table using table tool BEFORE CREATING GO TO OPTIONS AND TURN ON SEPARATER CELL BORDERS. (3) Break table apart. (4) Power Clip picture on the outer most border of grid table. (4) Lasso whole thing. (5) Ungroup all. (6) Click on arrange and Reverse Order. (7) You will notice a second picture in background, to remove click in between cells and hit delete. (8) You should have completely separated cells now.

Lee DeRaud
06-06-2008, 7:57 PM
Does anyone know how to make it recognize a grid created with the grid tool as a 'valid' object for the powerclip?You have to use the "graph paper" tool (up under one of the basic shapes flyouts), not the "table" tool. And that one works the way it always did, no extra steps required.

I have absolutely no idea what the "table" tool is for, or what the difference is between it and the "graph paper" tool...except this.

Bill Cunningham
06-07-2008, 8:08 PM
Bill: Like you I was familiar with X3 but playing around with X4 came up with this solution:
(1) Import picture (2) Create a table using table tool BEFORE CREATING GO TO OPTIONS AND TURN ON SEPARATER CELL BORDERS. (3) Break table apart. (4) Power Clip picture on the outer most border of grid table. (4) Lasso whole thing. (5) Ungroup all. (6) Click on arrange and Reverse Order. (7) You will notice a second picture in background, to remove click in between cells and hit delete. (8) You should have completely separated cells now.

GOOD GRIEF!! and 'thats' an improvement???
7 steps to do something that used to be done in 3 Make grid, powerclip to grid, break apart.. Done..

Lee I think I meant the graph tool (the one that makes a grid of x by y number of squares under one of the flyouts on the left.. I make a grid, and all the other versions will powerclip to that grid, but do exactly the same thing in X4 and you get a invalid object error when you try to select the grid as the container..

Lee DeRaud
06-07-2008, 8:58 PM
Lee I think I meant the graph tool (the one that makes a grid of x by y number of squares under one of the flyouts on the left.. I make a grid, and all the other versions will powerclip to that grid, but do exactly the same thing in X4 and you get a invalid object error when you try to select the grid as the container..Well, it works fine for me (yes, in X4). Again, note that's for the 'graph' tool, but not for the 'table' tool: both tools make very similar-looking x/y grids.

(And I'm told (but haven't verified) that the 'table' tool is positioned in the default toolbar in the same spot the 'graph' tool was in X3 and earlier.)

Bill Cunningham
06-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Hmmmm I guess I'm gong to have to take a closer look at that on Monday Morning.. Thanks Lee.. I hope it's just a simple error of choosing the wrong tool... I've never used X3, moved from 12 to X4 soooo hopefully it's just 'me'

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2008, 2:01 AM
.. I hope it's just a simple error of choosing the wrong tool...In the default toolbox for X4, the icon that looks like a square grid is the table tool. The graph tool is in the flyout under the polygon tool, the hexagon-shaped icon about three up from there.

Bill Cunningham
06-10-2008, 9:40 PM
YUP!!!! That was it... corel is using the old graphpaper tool icon for the 'table' tool.. somewhat confusing..Made my grid, and broke the pic apart.. Worked fine.. Thanks Lee!!!

Ed Newbold
06-11-2008, 7:48 AM
...I found that there were a few things that I didn't like about X4, so much so that I have returned to using X3 because the benefits were not worth the anoyance. ... I changed back and it doesn't surprise me that you have found another change!Hi Frank,

I've been using (fighting with) X4 for a couple of months now, and I just can't stand it. Even the darned toolbar icons were changed to a rotten appearance, making my job slower since I had to just about count across the icons to get to the one I wanted. The ONLY real benefit of X4 to me was the enhanced tracing capability. So I've returned to X3 too for my daily work!

Cheers,