PDA

View Full Version : Skateboard Finish

Curtis Simpler
06-04-2008, 9:23 PM
I am building some skateboards from walnut, mahogany, oak, etc and would like to finish them with clear polyurethane finish. I need something to put on the top side to give some grip, without obscuring the wood. Have an idea to coat one coat of poly, sprinkle whatever on to the wet finish and then spray on several more coats.
Any suggestions

Thanks

Curtis

Steve Schoene
06-05-2008, 7:51 AM
You can find a non-skid additive that consists of small plastic beads that is mixed with a coat of varnish and goes on clear. One source is marine supply stores--Interlux makes such a product.

curtis rosche
06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
i would say that these boards shouldnt be used just because they will look to good, i would be afraid of scratchin it or snapping it, isnt plywood stronger/better? try what steve said. on the bottom of the board make sure you use a really thick finish, like maybe one of the ones that is epoxy that pours, or when they are used to grind the finish on the botom will come right off

Steve Wylie
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
The skateboard builds I've seen have used high-quality plywood laminated with fiberglass/epoxy. They were longboards though, so they wouldn't have been grinding on anything. I think I remember them using regular black griptape on the top, so that's doubly unhelpful for this guy's project.

Curtis Simpler
06-07-2008, 2:20 PM
Thanks for the advice
These boards are longboards and I wont be grinding anything with them. They are more for nostalgia and looks. I am 53 years old and remember my skateboards as a young teen were flattened out roller skates bolted to a piece of 1x8 scrounged from a construction scrap pile in our neighborhood.
I saw some boards in a magazine and thought they looked nice, they were laminated maple with a veneer top. I use 1/2 in thick pieces glued together and glue a 1/2 inch thick stiffener underneath. Makes for a pretty stiff board ever for my 225 pounds. They draw a lot of attention when i take them out.

Thanks again for the ideas

Curtis

Al Wasser
06-07-2008, 2:30 PM
A few nites back, I was watching "how it's made" on TV. They did a segment on skate boards. Laminated maple, finished with a bunch of coats of lacquer as I recall. I'm too old so never got a "learners permit" for one of the things. It is amazing what kids do with them.