PDA

View Full Version : My Grizzly G0514X2 Band Saw Arrived Today

Barry Reade
06-04-2008, 9:14 PM
I have posted on two or three other threads that I had ordered a G0514X2. I ordered it back on 5/15/08 and Grizzly promptly told me it was back ordered til approx 6/20 and it would be shipped shortly there after. I had spent months trying to decide on a band saw from 14” to 20”. I cruised several wood working forums and found the Creek (Yea Team Creek), made a semi pain of myself asking questions and then when I finally decided which saw was the right one for me they back ordered the stinkin thing. Oh well, Two weeks ago I called Grizzly and asked them for an update on my order and they said it was now expected on 6/6 and would be shipped out after then. Well, things get even better. Last Saturday I got a call from Grizzly and they said my saw was in Springfield, MO and would be shipped out UPS Freight on Monday. I said thank you then promptly hung up and yelled “life is good”. I got a call from UPS yesterday saying the saw would be in the terminal today and when would I like it delivered. I said I wanted to pick it up at the terminal. They said they would call me today when it was available for pick up. I got the call this morning and went and picked it up at 1 pm. They put it on my trailer and my darling wife helped me strap it down and we got it home.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307415792_Nb47i-M.jpg

Now this saw packed for shipping weighs 480 lb. I needed to get it down to under 200 lb to get it off the trailer and into the garage/shop with the people power available. The table was not installed so I took it inside and then removed the doors, the blade that came with the saw, and the upper and lower wheels.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307415197_YpCV7-M.jpg

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307415107_FhnJa-M.jpg

When it cooled off a bit I checked out the weight and my son and I were able to lift it off the trailer and get it into the garage.

I kept waiting for the back order to degenerate into a 90 days or better and then I would have cancelled the order and bought something else so, I didn’t order any Timber Wolf blades until I was sure that I was getting the 0514. I ordered five blades yesterday and they should be here next Tues or Wed. The man at Timber Wolf was very helpful and I am anxious to see how his recommendations work. I am now waiting for the mobile base to arrive and after I get that set up I will reinstall the wheels and make sure they are coplanar, check the table and see if it is flat, and check everything else. I need to go down to my BORG and get a 220V pigtail so when I can run it I will have the power. Hopefully more tomorrow.

Mike Spanbauer
06-04-2008, 9:44 PM
Congratulations. A nicely tuned heavy bandsaw such as that one is a real pleasure to use.

Enjoy it!

mike

Pat Germain
06-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Awesome, Barry. I see you too have the genuine Grizzly "Bear Head" wheels!

Do keep us posted on the progress.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats Barry! That saw was on my short list too! May it serve you well!

Don Bullock
06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Congratulations Barry.

Chris Barnett
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
You will like your saw. What is the diameter of the bearing in the wheels?

Dave Lehnert
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Congratulations!
Keep us up to date on the good or bad. A larger saw is on my list of many tools. I was thinking a 18" but looks like the 19 has a few extras with not much extra $$$$

Brian Kent
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
That's terrific Barry. Congratulations on a saw that will serve you very well.

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 7:45 AM
Awesome, Barry. I see you too have the genuine Grizzly "Bear Head" wheels!
Do keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks Pat, I would have sent it back if it didn't have the internationally famous "Bear Head" wheels.:D

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 7:46 AM
Thanks Ken and Don. When I last talked to Grizzly they said the response to this model BS has been great.

Chuck Saunders
06-05-2008, 7:53 AM
Hurray Barry, I am going down to Springfield on Saturday to get my 513x2. Already called and made sure they had some in stock. I didn't even know about the bear head wheels.

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 8:12 AM
You will like your saw. What is the diameter of the bearing in the wheels?
Chris, I just did a quick check and the O.D. is 1 13/16" and the I.D. is 7/8"

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307684878_n8GSy-M.jpg

Yes, those are the Bear Head Wheels.;)

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 8:16 AM
Hurray Barry, I am going down to Springfield on Saturday to get my 513x2. Already called and made sure they had some in stock. I didn't even know about the bear head wheels.

That is a great looking saw Chuck. Make sure you take enough straps as it is vertical in the crate. I poked holes in the plastic so I could get my straps around the frame of the saw. The crate is rather flimsy.:eek: I imagine that Grizzly will help you load it and get it tied down properly

Brian Kent
06-05-2008, 9:16 AM

Chuck, check carefully on that. I got mine a couple of months ago. No bear heads. May have to return or upgrade;).

Chris Barnett
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks for checking the size, the same here. I have significant vibration. Looking at your wheels I don't see the rivet heads in the wheel for the balancing weights on the backside. Perhaps I got a preproduction saw :(.

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 1:15 PM
Thanks for checking the size, the same here. I have significant vibration. Looking at your wheels I don't see the rivet heads in the wheel for the balancing weights on the backside. Perhaps I got a preproduction saw :(.

Chris, this first picture is of the lower wheel backside. They drilled for balancing.
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307785440_7tSAm-M.jpg
this next shot is of the upper wheel and you can see the rivets for holding the weight on the backside.
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/307785281_wFL9m-M.jpg

When I took the blade off I checked the upper wheel balance and it was dead on. I will check the lower wheel without the belt on before I reinstall it to make sure it is balanced.

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 1:27 PM

I have two different Band Saw books and they do not have anything on the factory service manual except for color pictures. All the data is there for setting up and trouble shooting your BS.

This was out of my manual. So instead of asking if you did this or that have you checked all of the possible causes?

Symptom:
Machine has
vibration or
noisy operation
when running:

Possible Cause:
1. Blade weld hits guides or teeth are broken.
2. Bent or worn out blade.
3. Motor or component is loose.
4. V-belt worn or loose.
5. Motor fan is rubbing on fan cover.
6. Pulley is loose.
7. Machine is incorrectly mounted or sits unevenly
on floor.
8. Motor bearings are at fault.
9. Worn arbor bearings.
10. Wheels not coplanar/aligned correctly.
11. Tires incorrectly installed on wheels.
12. Wheels out of balance.

Possible Solution:
1. Replace blade (Page 42).
2. Replace blade (Page 42).
3. Inspect/replace stripped or damaged bolts/nuts, and
re-tighten with thread locking fluid.
4. Inspect/replace belts with matched set (Page 49).
5. Replace dented fan cover and loose/damaged fan.
6. Realign/replace shaft, pulley, setscrew, and key as
required.
7. Adjust the feet on the bottom of the stand; relocate
machine.
8. Test by rotating shaft — rotational grinding/loose shaft
requires bearing replacement.
9. Check/replace arbor bearings.
10. Adjust wheel alignment to coplaner (Page 51).
11. Re-install tires on wheels.
12. Replace wheels.

Just trying to help and crossing my fingers that my saw doesn't have a vibration when I crank it up.:eek:

Chris Barnett
06-05-2008, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the info...will recheck everything....after I work it into the things to do list.

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the info...will recheck everything....after I work it into the things to do list.
Oh My Gosh!!! the infamous "TTD" List.:eek: I have one of those and the darn thing never gets shorter.;) I guess it's better to have one than to not have one but, I am sure some would debate that.:p

Peter Quadarella
06-05-2008, 3:06 PM
I bought the G0513X2 several months ago, and thought hard about the one you got. Anyway, I did have a little bit of vibration I couldn't figure out. I put a link belt on yesterday and it seems to have gone away. :)

Barry Reade
06-05-2008, 3:10 PM
I bought the G0513X2 several months ago, and thought hard about the one you got. Anyway, I did have a little bit of vibration I couldn't figure out. I put a link belt on yesterday and it seems to have gone away. :)

I don't have any personal experience with the link belts but, I have read several articles that it was the only thing that saved the persons sanity and it corrected the problem.:eek: I have my eye on the link belt as I get my BS tuned.:)

Chuck Saunders
06-05-2008, 3:27 PM
That is a great looking saw Chuck. Make sure you take enough straps as it is vertical in the crate. I poked holes in the plastic so I could get my straps around the frame of the saw. The crate is rather flimsy.:eek: I imagine that Grizzly will help you load it and get it tied down properly
Thanks for the advice, I will go strap heavy. I will be interested to see if I get bear wheels or not, not that it matters but it is good branding.

Barry Reade
06-06-2008, 8:30 PM
So, my mobile base G7314 came yesterday and?????

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/308423681_8NrVS-M.jpg

I ordered the incorrect one. On the page that listed my BS it said over to the right that other people had ordered the following that had ordered that saw. So, I assumed ( Ya know what that means, Don’tcha??) that it was the correct one for my saw. Not! The only way to get the correct base for any of the Grizzly equipment is talk to Technical Support. Now this hasn’t been a poor experience as Grizzly was there and they are making it right. They are paying the shipping to return the G7314 and charging me the difference of $20 to upgrade to the G7315 mobile base and not charging me for shipping of the new base. Now, I didn’t have to strong arm them to do that. They offered and I accepted as I thought that was a fair solution. So now I have to get the G7314 packaged up and returned to Grizzly.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/308424130_GaKh6-M.jpg

After this base I will be building my own as all the commercial mobile bases leave a bit to be desired for me.:(

Chuck Saunders
06-08-2008, 3:28 PM
I got my saw and it has the bear heads. Look for my gloat thread for even more things that happened.

Barry Reade
06-08-2008, 3:36 PM
I got my saw and it has the bear heads. Look for my gloat thread for even more things that happened.
Chuck are your wheels cast iron or aluminum?

Pat Germain
06-08-2008, 5:44 PM

Welcome to "The Loyal Order of the Bear Head Wheels", Chuck. ;)

Barry Reade
06-11-2008, 2:33 PM
I had some questions off list and I told the folks that I would post the aswers on list as other might benefit. The question had to do with the mobile base stand. this person is considering getting the Jet heavy duty mobile base. I believe this is the one Pat Germain got and Pat jump in and give us your experience.

First my Grizzly G7315 heavy duty mobile base should arrive today and I will have data to report. Hopefully good data. Even though the G7314 was rated at 600 lbs. I personally thought it was weak. I really like the Great Lake Castors but Jim O'Dells experience doesn't give me a great feel for the company. Hopefully this G7315 HDMB is actually heavy duty and I will be pleased with it. From what I have seen having the wheels external to the mobile base frame is a definite plus. Also having the BS base as low on the mobile base as possible also is a plus as is bolting the BS base to the mobile base. Now all that said keeping the mobile base as tight around the BS base is a definite plus also. Darn have I put enough "Pluses" in this post???

When I get the new base I will post pictures.

Tom Esh
06-11-2008, 3:10 PM
First my Grizzly G7315 heavy duty mobile base should arrive today and I will have data to report. Hopefully good data.

I suggest you check the casters carefully before you load up the saw. They've had some QC issues, at least with the 7314 version. I had one ready to go on my new G0457 last week and noticed a severe drag in both the swivel and axle bearings. Re-lubed to no avail. They simply wanted to sieze up under even a few lbs of load. Called Griz and true to their reputation for great customer service they acknowledged the issue and immediately sent out a replacement set - which work fine.

Barry Reade
06-13-2008, 8:37 PM
I suggest you check the casters carefully before you load up the saw. They've had some QC issues, at least with the 7314 version. I had one ready to go on my new G0457 last week and noticed a severe drag in both the swivel and axle bearings. Re-lubed to no avail. They simply wanted to sieze up under even a few lbs of load. Called Griz and true to their reputation for great customer service they acknowledged the issue and immediately sent out a replacement set - which work fine.

Tom, I checked the wheels on the G7315 today and they are great, no problems.:)

Barry Reade
06-13-2008, 9:05 PM
My G7315 heavy duty mobile base arrived a couple of days ago and it is a significant improvement over the G7314 mobile base. As you can see it fits very well and all that is left to do is bolt the BS to the base.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312655019_9tg9d-M.jpg
I apologize for the distortion in the next pic but it was the only one that shows the side view that I had

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312655069_Gc3D4-M.jpg

I will probably build my own after I get my Miller 252 MIG welder back and have some time to put it together using the Great Lakes Castors Zambus like casters so I can completely level the BS and have it super stable.

I also started to reassemble the BS. Reinstalled the wheels and adjusted the motor belt tension.
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312655148_BpzpL-M.jpg

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312655195_WUALq-M.jpg

I installed the table the rack and pinion adjustment to tilt the table and put the pedal on the foot brake.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312655298_axJBn-M.jpg

Installed the fence and the blade.

http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/312654924_KNKcb-M.jpg

I also went down and got the electrical cable. I got 12 ga., 20 ft as I can move the saw around in the shop. I am running 220V and need a 20 amp breaker. I have two 50A breaker connections in the shop so I will make an adapter to cable to not have to have another connection.

Maybe it will run tomorrow. I hope!!:D