PDA

View Full Version : Starter screw assortment

Steve Sawyer
06-04-2008, 5:15 PM
After reading the recent article on wood screws in Woodworking magazine, I found myself hanging my head in shame at the neat rows of plastic bins in my shop, all loaded up with drywall and deck screws. These are great for many applications, but for joining hardwood components, I'm convinced that I should be using something better.

However, the array of screws available from McFeely's is absolutely bewildering. I'd like to augment my collection of drywall and deck screws that range from #6 to #8 and from 5/8" to 4" in length with something more suitable to hardwood joinery. I've always preferred the square-drive heads due to their resistance to cam-out, but maybe some of the phillips-head screws are just as good.

What would you select as good general-purpose screw types?

Randy Klein
06-04-2008, 6:19 PM
Mc Feelys has a starter set that seems to have all the right sizes and for a good price.

Do it yourself dozen (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1200-FSL/Do-It-Yourself-Dozen)

Peter Quinn
06-04-2008, 6:55 PM
I am a bit confused about your goals for the screws. Perhaps you can be more specific?

You say you want better screws for hard wood joinery? I like glue for joining hard wood, and most wood working techniques seem to revolve around creating mechanical strength and glue surface as a means of joinery. I see the screws primarily as clamps in most applications relative to joining hard wood, with pocket hole screws being one specialized application and possible exception. I guess attaching table tops would be another exception. When I think screws I think plywood.

I use screws for cabinet making in blind areas, for quick fixtures or jigs, and for attaching hardware. For strong quick connections I like auger point square drive assembly screws with nibs under the head for counter sinking or washer head where holding power is critical. I use #8's the most, #6 and #10 less often in shorter and longer lengths respectively.

I find myself using pocket hole screws (washer head type) in many applications without using the pocket hole jig. They are really my ideal screw and I already have them in a variety of sizes and threads!

Steve Sawyer
06-04-2008, 7:20 PM
I am a bit confused about your goals for the screws. Perhaps you can be more specific?

For fine wood objects, yes, I use glue (along with M&T, dovetails, lap joints etc.). Most of my screw use is for making jigs, fixtures, outfeed tables, drill press tables, shelving - utility stuff that I build out of hardwood and/or plywood. I've broken many drywall screws in this kind of stuff, and I understand that they're designed to fasten to softwoods not hardwoods. I too also use screws occasionally for blind fasteners.

Steve Sawyer
06-04-2008, 7:29 PM
Mc Feelys has a starter set that seems to have all the right sizes and for a good price.

Yeah - or you can get an assortment of zinc plated #6 and #8's for about the same price.

Thanks, Randy - hadn't seen those.

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 8:22 PM
I pretty much have "standardized" on the McFeeley's #8 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" yellow zinc screws for most woodworking purposes and buy them in the "big" boxes...which keeps the cost per down and the replacement buy far into the future. I also use the #7 SS trim head screws in 1" and 1 1/4" for a number of things including installing drawer fronts.

Of course, I do keep longer lengths in small quantities, such as #8 2" and 2 1/2" and a few other sizes in #8 and #6 for convenience. For really long screws that are not typically for projects but for "construction", I just buy the tan coated #10 deck screws at the 'borg. They also work great with square drive drivers with the combo recess.

Peter Quinn
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
For fine wood objects, yes, I use glue (along with M&T, dovetails, lap joints etc.). Most of my screw use is for making jigs, fixtures, outfeed tables, drill press tables, shelving - utility stuff that I build out of hardwood and/or plywood. I've broken many drywall screws in this kind of stuff, and I understand that they're designed to fasten to softwoods not hardwoods. I too also use screws occasionally for blind fasteners.

Whew...that's what I figured but thought I'd make sure. Sorry, I'm easily confused.

I've been using Ultimates from Deerwood Fasteners and I'm pretty happy with them. I bought 1000ct in the sizes I use most. Put all my sheet rock screws in a box and hid them from myself! Hafele makes some great screws too called Zip R's but you need a business account to buy from them direct.

The toughest screws I've used are SPAX (another Hafele product) I got from Highland Hardware. I've run these things in and out of hard maple with out predrilling, no splitting, no breaking even after running the same screw in and out 8X! They are pricey but there tough, they even go into concrete!