PDA

View Full Version : Horse stall mats at the lathe

Dominic Greco
04-12-2004, 3:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

While picking up some mulch at the local feed and seed/garden store (Davis Feed and Seed), I took a moment to examine the horse stall mats they had on hand. I have heard many of your speak highly of their use in the shop and wanted to see how durable they were. They measured 6' long x 4' wide, were about 3/4" thick, and sold for $34.99. So along with the cubic yard of mulch I was "sent" there for, I bought one mat for my shop.

If you're going to try and move them around by yourself, let me warn you first. Those things are HEAVY! Or maybe it was because I waited until all the yard work was done before I tried to move it. But I managed to drag it into the shop and set it up at the lathe.

Let me tell you, it was a real pleasure to work at the lathe with this mat in place! The cushioning made it feel like I was wearing brand new running shoes. I will probably go back and get another for in front of my workbench. Another benefit is that when you vacuum up after turning, the mats will not be "pulled up" by the vacuum (this is a minor annoyance I have with the thinner mats sold by wood working stores).

While I will definitely get more mats for the areas where I stand often, it's not like I'm going to line the entire shop floor. Since I have limited space, all my tools are on mobile bases. And tools don't roll all that well on this springy kind of surface. But still, it sure made a difference at my lathe!

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 3:50 PM
I wish I had known about the horse stall mats before I purchased the 4' x 6' mat I have under my lathe...at not quite twice the cost. But regardless of the type, I recomend that everyone consider such a pad on the floor to help your feet stay comfortable, especially if the floor is made of concrete or another hard material. I actually trimmed the mat so that the legs of my machine have space to sit on the floor while allowing the mat to exist in the entire area that my feet might go when turning both in the front and from the end.

Glenn Clabo
04-12-2004, 4:14 PM
I agree Dom...they are a huge help when it comes to these old joints. I bought one and split it for in front of the WoodRat and between my benches. I doubt I'd be able to use one in front of the saw...I move it too much. You are also right...they are HEAVY...no matter what time of day you try to throw them around.

Dick Parr
04-12-2004, 5:32 PM
I couldn't find any of the ones you are talking about so I had to settle for the ones below. But I agree that they do extend the time in the shop and at any one tool :D .

Bob Weisner
04-12-2004, 5:42 PM
Hi:

Are those rubber mats the same as the black rubber cow mats that are used on dairy farms?

Thanks,

Bob

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 5:52 PM
Here's what my arrangement worked out to be with the 4' x 6' mat. I slit the item so that it would fit around the legs, but could be easily removed for "deep cleaning". I do wish the ribs went back to front, rather than side to side as that would make it easier to sweep the chips, shavings and curls out from under the lathe...but my feet are more important!

Glenn Clabo
04-12-2004, 6:12 PM
Bob...
Yes as I remember they are exactly like them. There are no ribs and pretty dense so Ol' Nelly or Ol' Glenn doesn't destroy them. You can sweep them..and vacuum them without them moving. But...they give under your feet so the old bones aren't taking the beating.

Bart Leetch
04-12-2004, 8:24 PM
I have the 2' x 2' interlocking squares on my shop floor.

One thing you want to remember when vacuuming is that the floor attachment that fits the Vacuum wand isn't designed to allow enough air movement that is the reason is will suck up your mat or suck down tight to the floor. To make this attachment work better I made some little hard wood wedges & hot glued them on each end of bottom of the attachment with the thick end of the wedge toward the back side of the attachment. This way it'll pick up all the chips & dust & leave the mats on the floor. :)

Michael Ballent
04-12-2004, 8:28 PM
So what's the damage for one of those... and can city folk buy them? Where would I look.:confused:

Dominic Greco
04-12-2004, 9:37 PM
Are those rubber mats the same as the black rubber cow mats that are used on dairy farms?

You got it! They're the ones, or so like them that they'll do. For the price, you can't beat them.

Dominic Greco
04-12-2004, 9:39 PM
So what's the damage for one of those... and can city folk buy them? Where would I look.:confused:

I got mine at a store that sells supplies to farmers. But any place that caters to horse owners will do. A saddlery (place to buy saddles and boots) might have them.

As I said in my original post, the one I got was 4' x 6' x 3/4" thick and sold for $34.99.

Greg Heppeard
04-12-2004, 9:53 PM
Another use for the mats is, if you have a shaper (or other equipment) that vibrates, you can cut the mat pretty easily with a box knife and put small 4"x4" pieces on each corner and it cuts the vibration. I've also cut the 4'x6' mat into smaller mats to put at my miter saw station and other places around the shop...the only problem is getting used to picking up my feet when I walk around...the 3/4" thickness can take you on a pretty good trip.

Sparky Paessler
04-13-2004, 8:32 AM
Those mats are great! I use one at the lathe and at the workbench. I also cut 4 - 2"x4" pieces to go under the stand that I made for my lathe. Mine came from Tractor Supply.

Sparky

Michael Ballent
04-13-2004, 5:05 PM
Thanks for the info... Guess it's time to search the Yellow Pages :D