PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw

Louis Rucci
06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Still looking on getting a RAS, but being careful.

There are two on Craigslist I'd like an opinion.

Unfortunately I only have pictures on one of them,

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/671928533.html

The other one I'm trying to get an appointment with the seller so I can take pictures.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/687373444.html

He mentions something about a replacement capacitor is needed to get it working. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Randal Stevenson
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Of the open arm/late model saws, the 790 is considered one of the best, but the price seems high.
The other one doesn't even have a model number, but the capacitor is either the start or run capacitor, and replaceable via a motor repair shop.

I would google the DeWalt radial arm saw forums, as you can get more specific help there.

Ben Cadotte
06-04-2008, 11:39 AM
The first one looks to be really nice. Its about 1/2 of a new craftsman saw. I would think that price is pretty decent actually.

I was looking for a decent used one for about a year. I finally gave up and bought a new Craftsman when it was on sale and online discount. Satisfied with it. But if I had a chance on the first Dewalt. I would definately take a look at it. And take money with me prepared to bring it home. Never know but I would bet 3 bills would take it.

Its a 17 amp motor at 110. A bit better than c-man. I only use mine for cross cutting and have never had a power issue, even with wide dado's.

Louis Rucci
06-08-2008, 9:09 PM
Here's a link showing the second Dewalt RAS. Turns out it was a 8" unit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/DewaltRAS8In

Owner gave it me for FREE. :D

Should be perfect for using my Freud 8" dado set after I get it up to speed.

Can anyone tell me what year it may have been manufactured?

Thanks.

Ed Jolin
06-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Nice price for the MBF. The 790, imo, was overpriced, but the premium might be worth it if one were looking for the accessories; you seldom see saws come with those. It also depends on your local market.

I believe there is some info over at the Dewalt forum that matches up serial numbers w/ years produced for Dewalt saws - forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher. If not there, you can always check out owwm.com for old Dewalt info.

Once you clean it up, you'll have a great saw. Get the Mr Sawdust book, if you don't have it already.

Richard Dragin
06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
The 790 was overpriced and the accesories are only for nostalgia, you did way better and got a superior saw. Get the Mr. Sawdust book and any others you can find.

Louis Rucci
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh, I plan on ordering it before I start restoring

Thanks a bunch guys.

Louis Rucci
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Here's a new one guys, Previously I acquired an 8" Dewalt for free. Still looking for a larger one. Hopefully have an appointment to look it over this weekend.

I found another one that may be a keeper. It a Dewalt-Rockwell 10" for $200.00.
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/tls/721934605.html

According to Roger Hill's article "Reconditioning a Dewalt RAS" http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/dewaltrebuild.pdf
Besides the earlier Dewalt's, the Rockwell-Delta or Toolcraft, are the only ones worth restoring.

What do you think of the Rockwell?

Louis

jerry nazard
07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Louis,

The Rockwell/Delta might be a good buy - a friend picked up a early 70's last week for $175 and it is very nice. Do you have the 8" Dewalt up and running?

-Jerry

Tim Sgrazzutti
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I would not recommend the delta. Only the DeWalts have the three point set screw adjustment in the back of the yoke for vertical and horizontal heel. With the delta, some of the adjustments can only be done with shims.

Louis Rucci
07-03-2008, 8:42 PM
No way, I still have to finish my workshop. Having foam insulation installed on July12th.

That's future project when I have lights and available power

Louis Rucci
07-03-2008, 8:43 PM
Good tip, thanks.

I'm going to se the other Dewalt on Saturday, and take some pictures for your opinions.

Ed Peters
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
With the availability of CSMS's up to 12", what use can anyone have for a RAS. Unless you spend some real dollars and allocate significant floor space to this tool, my experience says that you wind up with an unreliable tool that takes up a lot of space.

Ed

Tim Sgrazzutti
07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
With the availability of CSMS's up to 12", what use can anyone have for a RAS. Unless you spend some real dollars and allocate significant floor space to this tool, my experience says that you wind up with an unreliable tool that takes up a lot of space.

Ed

Can your SCMS crosscut 18" perfectly?
Can your SCMS run a dado blade?
Does the cutting action of your SCMS blade force the wood down on the table, and back against the fence?
Does your SCMS fully support the blade exit surfaces of the wood for splinter free cuts?
Does your SCMS have a precision depth of cut adjustment for kerfing, and making lap joints with a dado?
Can your TS make edge cuts, and angled edge cuts on large pieces with the material flat on the table, instead of balanced on edge?
Can your TS make accurate tenons with the wood flat on the table, and without the need for a jig?
Can your TS make cove cuts with a dado blade in a few passes on the edge of a panel, or the middle of a board, without the need for auxilliary fences?
I have a few old DeWalt RAS's, and a 10" SCMS. The DeWalts get much more use, unless the work has to be done on site. The RAS's are more accurate, just not portable. Also, they take up less floor space than a TS, because they don't need to be in the middle of the shop to use.

The old DeWalts were really much better machines than any others made. They are non-flexible, adjustable for safe precision cutting, and hold their adjustments. They require more knowledge of adjustment and operating procedures than TS's, but once that is achieved, the performace is worth the effort.

RAS's other than cast iron DeWalts are the grease pole to RAS hell. Just my opinion though.........I could be wrong.

Regards,

Tim

Ed Peters
07-04-2008, 6:55 PM
Can your SCMS crosscut 18" perfectly?
Can your SCMS run a dado blade?
Does the cutting action of your SCMS blade force the wood down on the table, and back against the fence?
Does your SCMS fully support the blade exit surfaces of the wood for splinter free cuts?
Does your SCMS have a precision depth of cut adjustment for kerfing, and making lap joints with a dado?
Can your TS make edge cuts, and angled edge cuts on large pieces with the material flat on the table, instead of balanced on edge?
Can your TS make accurate tenons with the wood flat on the table, and without the need for a jig?
Can your TS make cove cuts with a dado blade in a few passes on the edge of a panel, or the middle of a board, without the need for auxilliary fence.
Huh ???????
You got me.

Louis Rucci
07-05-2008, 9:32 PM
Here's the other one I was talking about. Sorry about the plate photo, I overexposed it.

Skyp Nelson
07-06-2008, 6:35 AM
AMEN!, Tim.
(donning flame-retardant suit) I own a '56 Dewalt RAS, and IMHO unless you have owned, tuned, and used a quality RAS, any opinion you offer is useless. You might as well give TS tips as a bench-top owner. M 2c.

Pete Bradley
07-06-2008, 9:11 AM
Louis, I'd start by getting the machine you have working. It's a top of the line machine, better than most of what's out there today. Get some experience with it and you'll know better than anyone here what your needs are if you decide to buy a bigger one.

The Old Woodworking Machines site www.owwm.com has a lot of good information on your DeWalt.

Pete

Joe Jensen
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
AMEN!, Tim.
(donning flame-retardant suit) I own a '56 Dewalt RAS, and IMHO unless you have owned, tuned, and used a quality RAS, any opinion you offer is useless. You might as well give TS tips as a bench-top owner. M 2c.

AMEN Brotha

Louis Rucci
07-06-2008, 2:42 PM
OK, I'll follow that advice before I get too carried away. Guess I won't buy the Kapex either. :eek:

Shawn Honeychurch
07-07-2008, 2:25 PM
AMEN!, Tim.

As the proud owner of a 1952 Dewalt MBF I completely agree, I have had many people say to me "you should get rid of that, radial arm saws are dangerous", mind you most of them have never even seen one in the flesh let alone been taught how to use one.

If you haven't been shown how to properly use one, then zip lip, please and thank you.

Bruce Benjamin
07-07-2008, 3:07 PM
[/list]Huh ???????
You got me.

Yes, he did just that. You say, "My experience says that...". What is your experience with a RAS?

Bruce