PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Uniclamp

Dave Lehnert
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Needing some 12" clamps. Thinking about the uniclamp because of the lighter weight for smaller projects. Interested in how they hold up, get the job done etc..

mike holden
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Bessey Uniklamps are my favorite lightweight clamp. Work very well, they are mini-Kbodies! Unfortunately, I believe they are discontinued. I bought all that remained at the local Woodcraft at fire sale pricing. If you can get some, do so!
Mike

Hank Knight
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
What Mike said. I have 4 of each size and I use them all the time. I didn't know they were discontinued. Too bad. I think they are great.

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a few and like them a lot. They are not as smooth as the heavier parallel clamps, I definitely like using them a lot better than typical F-Clamps in most situations. I'm also disappointed to hear that they are on the way out.

mike holden
06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Guys - before I start an unfounded rumour - I said: "I believe"!
This is based on the sale at Woodcraft and the disappearance of them in the only other store around here that carried them.
Probably get a similar replacement when the new Kbodies come out, BUT, this is only MY belief.
Mike

Mike Wilkins
06-06-2008, 2:12 PM
I have read and seen in more than one location that the current models are on their way out, possibly for something updated.
The Uniclamps are great for one-handed use and quick glue-ups; will have to check the local Borg store for possible deals. Thanks.

Brent Smith
06-06-2008, 4:25 PM
Lee Valley still has them listed with no mention of they're being discontinued. Woodpecker also lists them.

Jim Becker
06-06-2008, 5:25 PM
The new issue of FWW also has the 6" UniClamp on their suggested assortment of small clamps for the shop. The K-Bodies are definitely being re-designed, however...

Peter Quinn
06-06-2008, 6:15 PM
As far as durability I've used my uni's pretty hard for about 5 years and they are doing great. I got them as a present and at first site I though they looked sort of flimsy, but not so. Some times I have them play the roll of a stronger clamp when all my others are occupied. It doesn't take much glue squeeze on the bars to bind them up, so when they bind I just beat the crap out of them till the glue chips off! Haven't broken one yet. I'd love to have a whole bunch more, very useful. I don't always need the clamping pressure of a K-body for delicate work, and that parallel jaw design translates beautifully into the lighter weight format.

They also come in handy when you need a spreader to give a little equal but opposite force when gluing up a drawer or box of some kind.

Dennis Reardon
06-06-2008, 7:47 PM
A few summers ago Sears had an online sale on these for Craftsman CLub members. The ad was for a 5 clamp kit. (I know 5 clamps is an odd number however it was some kind of "manager" special.) Each kit came with 2 6", 2 12", and one 18", all uniklamps. I had just finished a glue up using f clamps a couple of hours before I saw the ad. I had been saving my pennies for a set of K-bodies, but the "big sale" never seemed to appear. My frustration with f clamps was riding an all time high at that moment :mad: so I ordered two sets.

The boxes arrived from Sears 3 days later. Real long boxes too. Turned out that each box also had a 40" K-body inside! I quickly ordered two more kits. Not too often you get K-body's for free. ;)

Needless to say I LOVE my uniklamps. They are not as mighty as the K-body's but they are handy as all get out. :D

Dennis Lopeman
06-06-2008, 8:39 PM
Bessey Uniklamps are my favorite lightweight clamp. Work very well, they are mini-Kbodies! Unfortunately, I believe they are discontinued. I bought all that remained at the local Woodcraft at fire sale pricing. If you can get some, do so!
Mike

I actually saw some TODAY for sale (on sale %25 off) at Woodcraft

mike holden
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Dennis, Uniklamps on sale? the grey headed ones? I know the red K-bodies are on sale at Woodcraft. Which Woodcraft did you see these at?
Mike