PDA

View Full Version : Lost chipbreaker screw source?

Tim Reagan
06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Can anyone suggest a source for this screw for a Craftsman plane, that per previous posts was felt to made by Miller Falls, probably 60 years ago? It has different threads than my Stanley screws (that seem interchangeable between my #4 and #7). There is a picture of the plane here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81687
thanks.

Anthony Fields
06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Can anyone suggest a source for this screw for a Craftsman plane, that per previous posts was felt to made by Miller Falls, probably 60 years ago? It has different threads than my Stanley screws (that seem interchangeable between my #4 and #7). There is a picture of the plane here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81687
thanks.

Don't know if this will work for you but Lowes has a good fastener dept. that you may be able to match one too. If just using the plane. If restoring it, well. Try Sears online?
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Barry Vabeach
06-06-2008, 9:45 PM
Tim, unless the chibreaker is rare or has some special value, I would drill and tap it to fit a screw you do have. If the chipbreaker is rare and you don't want to mess it up, see if a regular stanley chipbreaker will fit, if you need a stanley chipbreaker, let me know the width of the breaker, the distance from the bottom of the chipbreaker to the front of the slot for the yoke and if I have one on hand I will send it to you fro the cost of shipping.

Tim Reagan
06-07-2008, 4:13 AM
What size is the Stanley thread? A 1/4-20 fits fine in the craftsman, but is sloppy in the stanley breaker, and the stanley screw is to big for the craftsman. I don't mind retapping if I knew the thread size for the stanley. Where can I order a stanley screw?

Phillip Pattee
06-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I recommend a PM to Clint Jones. He probably has one.

Barry Vabeach
06-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Tim, a pm to a member is a good idea. If he can't help
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ has replacement parts, including chipbreakers for $4 to $5 and the screw for .95. Click on planes, then cutters and blades. The shipping seemed reasonable to me.

Greg Drozdowski
06-07-2008, 7:48 PM
Hi Tim,
Did you ever get your screw? I think i may have one out in the shop and 12-20 is the thread for stanley.
Greg

Tim Reagan
06-07-2008, 8:32 PM
I still haven't found my screw, but realized the stanley screw is a 5/16, as well as the craftsman. But my #4 stanley seems to have a slightly larger screw and thread on its breaker (bad QC?). I can fit a 5/16 cap head screw into all chip breaker threads, but pretty sloppy on the # 4. My #7 Stanley screw does fit the craftsman. So I know a little more but, still need what looks like a standard stanley screw. Is there any local place to get that? I just hate to pay $5 shipping/tax for a $1 part.

Greg Drozdowski
06-07-2008, 8:57 PM
Hi Tim,
I'll look tomorrow and let you know if i have it. If i do $1 dollar plus shipping . I'm not sure on the thread as i was thinking of the tote and knob rods.
Greg

Steve Mills
03-10-2022, 11:38 AM
My Craftsman hand planes have a 5/16-18 thread in the chip breaker. I bought a standard hex bolt from the hardware store and a 1/4 washer. The head on the bolt is too small for the slot in the iron, so the washer is needed. A standard 5/16 washer is too large of a diameter to clear the frog. The steel in the bolt was mild enough that I was able to just thread it on the washer (which rounded the threads similar to the screw currently in the chip breaker). Basically making the washer captive.

The head of the bolt plus the washer was too thick. So I ground about half of the head thickness off and cut a screwdriver slot with a hacksaw. And then just cut the threaded portion to length. It works great and is cheap, although a bit of time was required (and I chipped my grinding stone. Hold the bolt securely.)

A more finished approach is to buy a thumbscrew (their name for it) from McMaster Carr. Check out "Steel Knurled-Head Thumb Screw" part 90200A586. Cheap at $3.72 each. You still have to cut it to length. The head diameter is 0.75inch, so may have to file the diameter down. I have not bought one, buy plan to include it in my next order.

I need something because I am getting a much thicker iron.

Good luck.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2022, 1:45 PM
Hi Steve and a very belated welcome to the Creek on your first post in eleven years.

jtk

steven c newman
03-11-2022, 10:34 AM
Let me get this straight...OP is looking for the bolt, that holds the chipbreaker to the iron...on a Millers Falls made plane?

Millers Falls used more or less off-the-shelf Standard threads..vs Stanley's special to Stanley threads..

Also, the slot in the iron MIGHT be wider than what Stanley used on their irons. Means the head of that M-F's bolt needs to be wider, to span the slot.

Since the plane in question is already marked as a Craftsman....maybe just drop a Stanley iron & chipbreaker into the plane....and get back to work...

One other item....Millers Falls irons tended to be a bit thicker than the ones Stanley used....and need a slightly longer threaded length on the bolt.

Hmmm...BTW..I use both Stanley and Millers Falls planes in my shop....

Also..Sargent also made planes for Sears & Roe Buck....mostly as Dunlap or Fulton brands....but, they also started making Craftsman brands towards the end....

Jim Koepke
03-11-2022, 5:33 PM
Let me get this straight...OP is looking for the bolt, that holds the chipbreaker to the iron...on a Millers Falls made plane?

Hopefully by now the OP has found a solution to the problem. This thread was started almost fourteen years ago.

jtk

steven c newman
03-12-2022, 9:20 AM
Maybe someone else would need this sort of info...for THEIR planes....

steven c newman
03-14-2022, 10:51 AM
usually, if one walks into an Antique Mall...there will be a stall or 3 with old hand planes.....rarely any are "collectable", BUT...they are a very nice source of parts for planes that are in need of that "odd bolt".

And, usually way cheaper to get than dealing with that "auction"....and rarely need to pay shipping....