PDA

View Full Version : Long Awaited Gloat!

Dewey Torres
06-04-2008, 3:44 AM
All,
My skills have finally whispered to me...

They told me that there was nothing more I could possibly do to enhance my contractor saw on steroids. Yes, I added an outfeed table, a router extension, a mobile base, numerous jigs including a 3 crosscut sleds ... etc.

Now was time to shop for something of real quality....

Then here comes fellow Creeker Art Frank (never drafted a post as of yet) who came to the rescue.

Snarfer (RSS search engine) pulled up a Delta UniSaw in my area on the Bay. (Google Snarfer,: it is great!) Buy it now on the Bay was for $875.

Like an idiot I bid on it for lower than $875 and the "Buy it Now" option went to the wayside as another bidder weighed in. I contacted Art and offered to end the auction for the buy it now price and he declined... (darn!):(

I promptly placed a bid the $875 with the hopes that if the saw got away, I at least I would have bid the original "Buy it now" price.:rolleyes:

The auction ended at $825!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!! I was thrilled.!:D

(But wait... just like the Ginsu Knife...It gets better!

I enlisted the help of my friend Pat Germain to drive with me to Castle Rock, CO to help me with the saw. We had no idea what we were in for...

I rented some ramps from the BORG for 5 bucks....

(these, by the way are great if you need to get something really heavy into your pickup) They are aluminum and fold by half and hold 1000lbs. (Enough for most saws):D

When we arrived to the MapQuested neighborhood of Art Frank we saw some of the most extravagant houses (I bet in Castle Rock). Way out the the norm.

I pulled my truck up, met Art (and his dog), and loaded the saw.

I was so exited about the saw that it was hard to think. Also, it was not just the saw that I got on the deal but... (please sit down for this one)...

an HTC mobile base, (2) Forrest WW2 Blades, and 1 Freud cross cut blade. The guy even threw in a furniture dolly and 3 moving blankets to help me get his lost love to my home! I got (3) manuals, One for the fence and extension, one for the saw, and one for the outfeed table. All were immaculate.

His shop was amazing! I am not even going to try to explain; but like the ones you might see in FWW. He was selling me the saw because he just bought a Felder slider:

http://usa.felder-gruppe.at/?page=maschinen_details&xat_code=a735390320ef842f0a69&parent=5ee57e6ed6cf842f38f3

and a Felder jointer:

http://usa.felder-gruppe.at/?page=maschinen_details&xat_code=a735390320ef842f0a69&parent=5ee57e6ed6cf842f38f3

Like I said.. the shop was amazing! Pat called it Fantasy Island.

Anyway...
Dewey ended up with one Bad X$$ saw... And since "It didn't happen without the pics" here they are. That is me in pic #1 smiling like the Koolaid man just busted though the wall..."Oh yeah!"

Dewey

Dan Regan
06-04-2008, 4:13 AM
Nice, hope you bought you buddy a beer for driving you up there :D Enjoy the new saw!

Tim Malyszko
06-04-2008, 8:30 AM
Very nice. Thanks for the heads up on snarfer. I'll give it a try.

Enjoy the saw.

Greg Cole
06-04-2008, 8:37 AM
Wow, that's a brand new saw by the looks.
Congrats.

Greg

Richard M. Wolfe
06-04-2008, 8:48 AM
Congrats on the saw, Dewey. I'll check snarfer out.

Don Bullock
06-04-2008, 9:31 AM
Dewey, congratulations on the new saw. Did you take any pictures of Art Frank's shop?

Peter Quinn
06-04-2008, 9:40 AM
Great deal. The saw plus a great time going to another shop to get it. Sweet.

Dave Sabo
06-04-2008, 9:53 AM
Great deal, what guage is the power cord? It looks a bit small for 3 HP in the pictures.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Dewey.....Congrats! I'm not the least bit jealous......:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Outstanding addition to your shop! And a nice field trip, too...that's a pretty area.

J. Z. Guest
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow Dewey, nice find! This is the absolute perfect way to upgrade saws. You already had one, so waiting a bit for the perfect one to roll along wasn't painful. You waited until you "saw" the right one at the right price.

BTW, is it an American made one?

Now comes the tough part. You've got to build stuff that is worthy of a pro-grade cabinet saw.

Jay Jolliffe
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Nice saw & good deal. I also upgraded my saw from the contractors to a cabinet saw last week.I got a General 350 in new condition. I don't know why I waited so long. What a difference in using the cabinet saw to the contractors.....Congrats on the new saw.

Glenn Clabo
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Okay Senior...step away from the coffee.:D;)

Nice score!

Dewey Torres
06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Great deal, what gauge is the power cord? It looks a bit small for 3 HP in the pictures.
Yes it is 3 HP single phase. The cord may be just an illusion.

Dewey, congratulations on the new saw. Did you take any pictures of Art Frank's shop?
Unfortunately I left my camera at home that day.:(

Wow, that's a brand new saw by the looks.
Yes it was very well kept but actually it is a 1995 model.

BTW, is it an American made one?Heck yes it is “Made in the USA!”:D

Dewey

Pat Germain
06-04-2008, 1:20 PM
Cool you got the saw all set up, Dewey! Great pics. I was glad to help out.

I'm hoping to ask Dewey to return the favor someday when I find my cabinet saw. Or, more accurately, when my cabinet saw finds me.

You couldn't ask for a better seller. Art had the saw all broken down and ready to go in his garage. And, good golly, seeing his shop was indeed like a trip to fantasy island. It's not the largest of workshops, but when he opened the door, I thought I heard angels singing just before we stepped inside... Yeah, it was that cool.

Victor Stearns
06-04-2008, 1:27 PM
Amazing! A very nice saw to add to a very nice shop! Conbgrats!
Victor

Walt Caza
06-07-2008, 3:15 PM
Congrats Dewey,
Terrific score on your cabinet saw.
Plenty of extras to boot.
Now get to work and make some sawdust fly...
your shop looks too clean!
take it easy,
Walt
:)

Bruce Page
06-07-2008, 4:18 PM
Congrats Dewey, a lot of us have gone through the contractor saw upgrade cycle. :rolleyes:
You got a great deal on the Unisaw. I paid more than double that for pretty much the same thing.

gary Zimmel
06-07-2008, 5:38 PM
Sweet looking saw Dewey...

It's going to get a good workout building the Morris chair..