PDA

View Full Version : Prototype knot segment

Mike Golka
06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
So here it is, the prototype segmented knot my way;). Although every thing is just set together, not glued yet I think I can make a couple jigs to ensure consistent pieces and a good fit. Not sure about the wood choices yet, used maple, purpleheart, and teak here. Any suggestions for jigs or wood will be given due consideration;). Thanks for looking.

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Mike, I think you'll get there. Good luck.

Jon Lanier
06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I think you are on your way! You'll have to do a complete Tutorial on this when you get done. ;)

Bob Way
06-04-2008, 7:18 AM
Nicely done, Mike. Looks to me like that's going to work out real well for you. What angle did you end up using at the ends of the "X"? I'm really looking forward to seeing your completed piece.

Mike Golka
06-04-2008, 9:14 AM
Bob, the angles are cut at 22.5 degrees to make a 45 included angle. I decided to keep the center of the X at 90 degrees to start with because its easier than working with odd angles, at least in the development stages;)

Thom Sturgill
06-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Looks good so far.
Suggestion:
Make this up where you are looking at the edge of wide boards, instead of the top of narrow pieces. Then slice the boards into say 1" slices across the width to get the individual pieces, and then miter the ends of the pieces to form your circle. This way you would only have to get the layout right once. This would be similar to how fancy inlay strips are made from sheets and strips of veneer.

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Looks pretty good to me. Good luck with it.