PDA

View Full Version : who uses a Biscuit Joiner?

Dave Lehnert
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
With new tools like the Dowel Max and Festool Domino taking center stage. Do you think a Biscuit Joiner is on it's way out or here to stay?

Nancy Laird
06-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Here to stay! There really ARE things that aren't suitable for dowels, and there are those of us who have multiple biscuit joiners who don't want to put the money into the Festool---believe it or not, Festool and E-Z Smart are not the be-alls and end-alls of woodworking.

Jerry Olexa
06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I fully agree with Nancy. Used my biscuit joiner this AM to glue up some panels...I love the convenience and accuracy.

Graham Skinner
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Agree with Nancy and Jerry on this, a biscuit is still the best way to join a hard wood edge to a plywood top, we use them all the time in the shop where I work for that, and for edge joining particle boards togerther as well.

regards....Graham Skinner

Darrin Davis
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
For dead on accuracy I use my Dowel Max. For quick jobs that don't need the accuary I use the biscuit jointer.

Phil Thien
06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Love my Makita biscuit jointer.

I recently made an adapter so I can use my sander's (PC) vac hose with it. I had been using the dust bag, but I use it enough that emptying the bag was a pain.

Mike SoRelle
06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't see myself getting rid of my PC 557 anytime soon unless I win the festool lottery and even then... I've grown rather attached....

Mike Heidrick
06-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Have and use my 557. Works great.

Craig D Peltier
06-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I have the ryobi one, I think it works great. I used it recently to glue up wdith wise plywood for back of a cab and for large arches connected to a face frame. Helps things line up well.

Dewey Torres
06-04-2008, 2:35 AM
Price of Gas vs. Festool should keep the Biscuits around for a while!

My Dewalt is quite a prize... I would probably feel differently had I bought the Lamello and paid a fortune for it though.

Dewey

Billy Chambless
06-04-2008, 8:15 AM
The Festool Domino maks the biscuit joiner obsolete in exactly the same way that the biscuit joiner made chisels obsolete.

;)

Mike SoRelle
06-04-2008, 8:21 AM
The Festool Domino maks the biscuit joiner obsolete in exactly the same way that the biscuit joiner made chisels obsolete.

;)

But.... I still use chisels!....

wait...

I see what you did there :D

John Grabowski
06-04-2008, 8:21 AM
I am also a porter cable joiner fan. I have to say that unless you are making mortise and tenon joinery most of your day, the price for the domino is not worth the time savings. I will stick with my biscuits and save a 1000$ on the domino and accessories.

John G

alex grams
06-04-2008, 8:29 AM
I have and use mine regularly. Mainly for things like face frames on shelves and such, to help keep the main alignment and just use a few clamps to make them flush while the biscuits hold them in place.

Greg Cole
06-04-2008, 8:35 AM
I won't send my PC 557 to the corner to collect dust, nor will I part with it. It has it's place, but a pocket hole cutter and a black n green oose tenon joiner have limited the use of the biscuit cutter in my shop some.
Each tool has assets I'll leave the prices for others to gripe about.;)

Greg

Richard M. Wolfe
06-04-2008, 8:43 AM
I've used, in a mainly hobby shop, about 15-20 boxes #2 biscuits (at 1000 in a box) over the years and don't see myself quitting any time soon.

Stephen Edwards
06-04-2008, 9:21 AM
My 15 year old makita biscuit jointer is a staple in my shop. I would never consider ditching it.

Peter Quinn
06-04-2008, 9:35 AM
I don't own the domino because I have lots of other ways to do what that tool does. Not all as quick to set up, but just as strong and accurate. I don't see biscuits/dominos as direct substitutes, so I didn't replace the biscuit jointer with a domino and never will. I use the biscuit jointer for lots of things where dowels or dominos or M&T or slot mortises would be inappropriate or just plain over kill.

Would you really consider putting a dowel or a domino every where you might use a biscuit? And would you really consider a biscuit appropriate in every case in which you might choose a dowel/domino/slot mortise/M&T

Is it wrong to answer a question with a question?

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not about to sell my biscuit joiner, but I rarely use it...pretty much only for alignment when installing face frames. I generally use pocket screws and "traditional" joinery most of the time. That said, it's actually good to have a variety of methods available as every project is unique and alternatives make for more flexibility.

Jon Crowley
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
If you could get a domino for $100 or less, yeah, I'd use it over a biscuit joiner. :D

J. Z. Guest
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have never even had a biscuit joiner. When the time came, I opted for a Kreg K3MS instead, and when I wanted something stronger/classier, I went with the Dowelmax.

Ron Dunn
06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I bought a biscuit joiner in a moment of weakness around 12 years ago. It has sat - unused - in its box since the day I bought it.

I never found a circumstance where a dowel wouldn't do the job better and easier.

Now that I have a Dowelmax I can't imagine ever wanting to use the biscuit machine in future, and I'm thinking of giving it away to clear out some shelf space.

I don't have a Domino, so no comment there.

Lori Kleinberg
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
My FIL gave me his Dewalt. I think it is great. Just used it for my last project (doggie steps). For the number of projects I do a Domino is not a reasonable expense and the joiner works just fine. I also still use chisels :D

John Carlo
06-04-2008, 1:10 PM
I built this unit to fill in a doorway to my in-law's kitchen. There is another doorway around the corner through the dining room to enter the kitchen and this was just an unsightly opening visible from the front door. I used 2 biscuits per 1/4 round shelf to mate with the back and side boards. I used a perfectly square block of wood about ten inches long to serve as a reference for the joiner. This I clamped in place for each shelf. I had a PC 557 but went out and bought a DW because I needed more side clearance and could replace the knobs with short screws on the DW. It is all about referencing and indexing and time and speed. And then there is the forgiveness factor that biscuits afford without giving up any strength in this situation.

jason lambert
06-04-2008, 4:35 PM
When I got my Domino I sold my dewalt bisket joiner 4 weeks later. I really liked that dewalt machine but could see any situation where I would use it over a floating tenon. But not everyone can afford a domino so biscuts will be aroud for a long time.

Fred Voorhees
06-04-2008, 5:04 PM
Sorry, I won't fall into that trap of "you gotta get this great new tool" every time someone comes out with the latest mouse trap. I have the Porter Cable joiner and love it. I have found a multitude of uses for it ..... some that have never been mentioned on this forum in the past. Sorry, I find myself lacking any real justifiable reason to spend such a rediculous amount of money on the Festool thingamabob. My PC has served me just fine.

Jeff Wright
06-04-2008, 5:25 PM
I bought a new PC biscuit joiner and am so discouraged with its ability to line up boards for gluing that I will probably sell it. I just don't see why people use it; the joints it produces are so sloppy. I have posted elsewhere on SMC about my disatisfaction. The biscuits just flop around the slots I cut, and I am convinced it is not my technique. I may be spoiled with the joints my Domino makes. I do have suspicion that the unit I got must be defective since so many of you sing its praises. Maybe there is runout beyond the usual. I've yet to find an easy way to have a service center give me an opinion; there are none close by and I got rid of the original carton prior to discovering it doesn't slot accurately.

Dave Lehnert
06-04-2008, 6:01 PM
Sorry, I won't fall into that trap of "you gotta get this great new tool" every time someone comes out with the latest mouse trap. I have the Porter Cable joiner and love it. I have found a multitude of uses for it ..... some that have never been mentioned on this forum in the past. Sorry, I find myself lacking any real justifiable reason to spend such a rediculous amount of money on the Festool thingamabob. My PC has served me just fine.

Like I said in another post. I am sure the Festool is a great unit but for home use I will hold off for the $199 Porter Cable unit.

Bill Arnold
06-04-2008, 7:13 PM
I'm not about to give up my DeWalt biscuit joiner! I use it for everything from reinforcing mitered corners in a frame to aiding in alignment of panel glue-ups.

Norman Pyles
06-04-2008, 7:19 PM
I used my PC joiner yesterday, to join the top and bottom, on a small wall cabinet for the bath. It has its uses.

Greg Narozniak
06-04-2008, 7:33 PM
Here to stay! There really ARE things that aren't suitable for dowels, and there are those of us who have multiple biscuit joiners who don't want to put the money into the Festool---believe it or not, Festool and E-Z Smart are not the be-alls and end-alls of woodworking.

Well said! Agree 100% with the above. While I know Festool is good no way do I need to spend the $$$ for a Domino. My Dewalt BJ works just fine!

NICK BARBOZA
06-04-2008, 9:02 PM
I used mine just a few minutes ago. I consider it an indispensible tool. I would love to have a domino but i would still use both.

Nick