PDA

View Full Version : pulling the trigger...advice please.

Chris Ricker
06-03-2008, 8:15 PM
This is my first post on this forum but I have been lurking for several months. I have to say that I am most impressed with the knowledge of the members who post here. you guys seem to be smart and willing to help whom ever shows up and offer your advice in a friendly and courteous way, I think that is awesome!

That being said, some back ground on me. I am a 40 something year old who lives in Canton(The Pro Football Hall of Fame City, whoo hoo!!), Ohio. I have grown up with wood working (Dad and Grandpa both have/had shops) and have always considered it my first hobby. I started working construction at the age of 14 doing odd jobs for neighbors and started my own "company" at 18. My own family came early as my first son was born soon after and my hobbies were put on hold. I did manage to refinish the occasional antique though. Through the next several decades (yikes!) I have managed to bring four more of the best kids into the world as well as serving an apprenticeship with the pipe fitters union on top of doing TONS and TONS of residential and commercial side jobs.

Enough background, currently my interests are back with woodworking as I'm sick to death of drywall and drop ceilings. With five kids (and my first grandkid due on 6-9-08... COOL!!) and TLOML wanting projects and heirlooms. I am considering the purchase of several large machines for my shop as I am switching from a "portable" shop to one that is more in tune with building fine furniture type projects.
I have narrowed my choice to Grizzly machines due to the value they represent. I have read most all of the posts on the Griz. machines and have found most all have been pleased with them. of course I know that they are not the "top of the line" machines as some would suggest but I have to consider that I have a home shop building projects for myself and my family, NO COMMERCIAL BUSINESS.( I'm SO tired of that).

I've chosen;

G0513X2, 17" bandsaw with mobile base
G0634, 12" jointer/Planer with super heavy mobile base
G1023SLX with 7" rails and Mobile Base

OR

G0651 with riving knife and NO mobile base

I have a couple of issues with my decisions which I need advice with
like, which saw would be best for my situation?, are the mobile bases good enough for the intended purposes? I could go on but I"ll differ to you for your input. I trust your judgment.
BTW. My budget is limited to what I can sell my Harley for so, more bang for the buck is in play here.
Thanks in advance and looking forward to being part of the group.

Ben Cadotte
06-03-2008, 8:31 PM
I like the riving knife. Unless you really need to move the saw around for room. I would pick the G0651 over the 1023.

I don't see anything wrong with your choices, and would be happy with them in my shop.

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 8:34 PM
The 1023XL is a great table saw, but I'm with Ben...riving knife is a very desirable feature to me and now that it's available, you'll see more sales for the new saw and less for the 1023 series going forward.

BTW, welcome to SMC!

Robert Payne
06-03-2008, 9:43 PM
I have a G1023slx on a ShopFox mobile base with their extension and it is a really good saw adn base combination (I can move it for cleaning). I have a Forrest Woodworker II full kerf blade on it and it runs sweet, whether ripping 8/4 or cutting thin strips or cross cutting or cutting plywood. But if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the newer saw -- it comes with an outfeed table and blade and for the most part, you can live without the mobile base. The other two choices are stellar.

Pat Germain
06-03-2008, 9:51 PM
I have the G0513X2. I've made only a few cuts thus far, but I'm very happy with the saw. I looked at the Shop Fox mobile base at my local Woodcraft. I wasn't very impressed with it. It seems OK, but nothing more.

I opted for the JET mobile base, which is a little more heavy duty and easier to clamp and release the wheels. I did have to modify the JET mobile base by cutting the front and rear rails in order to fit the saw. It was kind of a pain, but no big deal really.

With the 12" jointer/planer, you'll be rockin', dude!

Don Bullock
06-03-2008, 9:54 PM
I really like my riving knife and have found it mush better than a splitter. From what I've read they are much safer too.

Wilbur Pan
06-04-2008, 6:34 AM
Two questions:

1. How much room do you have in your shop?
2. Do you know what kind/style of furniture (or other projects) you might be interested in building?

The reason I ask is that having gone through the process of setting up my space-challenged shop, I initially thought I would need a tablesaw, but due to space and budget, I initially started with a bandsaw only. I've been pleasantly surprised as to how far I've gotten without a tablesaw so far.

If the style of furniture you plan on building leans more towards curved surfaces, you may want to consider going with the bandsaw and the jointer/planer to start, and hold off on the tablesaw purchase until you get to a point where you really need it. That will save you some money and space for now.

One other option is that if you're mechanically inclined, see if there are any 1940's-60's era machines for sale around you. Those machines were built to last. My bandsaw, drill press, and lathe date back to the 1940's, and with a little cleanup, run like new. I think I paid about $700 altogether for all three machines. However, this option won't really work for the jointer/planer combo machine, as they weren't made back then. I love jointer/planer combo machines, and I bought mine new.

Peter Quinn
06-04-2008, 7:21 AM
Looks like some nice machinery there. I think you'll be happy with those choices. Shop fox mobile bases are OK if your floor is fairly flat and smooth, less OK if your concrete has much variation to it. Moving my 14"BS on a shop fox HD mobile base can be a bit slow and dicey, but it works.

My TS (cabinet saw with 70" Rails) and jointer (500#) both ride on welded tubular steel bases made to fit the machine, and both are much easier to use and move than any of the shop fox bases I have encountered (we had 6 of them at work under shapers, sanders and such). I'd guess you might be able to find a mobile base for the GO651 TS if that is your choice from HTC, or possibly a Delta or Powermatic 66 base might fit?

I'd probably go with the GO651 if your taking a poll, but I wonder do you need as much side board width as either of those saws you mentioned give you? Short of sheet goods, will you ever rip at 46"? If budget is restricted a slightly more compact cabinet saw might leave you a few bucks for other things if your never going to use that capacity. I have 70" rails and am glad I do but they do eat space I occasionally wish I had back.

Chris Ricker
06-04-2008, 4:16 PM
:)I knew I would get some good observations.

Wilbur; I have a basement shop which is about 14 x 30 and have the room for a TS. I currently have 2 of them, an '86 CI Buffalo contractors saw and a cheapo 10" Delta Jobsite saw. the new tools are an upgrade. I would love to have an old iron machine but I have been searching for a long time with no results.

Some of my planned projects are antique washstand replicas, bed frame with head & foot board, hope chests for the girls, ect. I am very inspired by Green & Green style furniture also.

Peter: good point on the table extention and cutting sheet goods are not in my near plans....but, there may be a cabinet or two in my future and I'm trying to be prepared. I am concerned about the shop fox mobile units, according to recent posts they may not be up for the job. my floor in not bad but its not smooth either, the house was built in '56

Does anyone on the Creek have any experience with these machines. Positive and negative comments are welcome. I certainly don't want to open the can of worms comparing brands, there is some strong opinions concerning Delta, PM, MM ect. but all info is welcome

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/22

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/23

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/48

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/97

Thanks in Advance.:D

Bret Leishman
06-04-2008, 5:59 PM
I purchased the Grizzly G0636X 17" bandsaw and posted pictures of my use of greatlakes casters on 1/27/08. Would highly recommend you look into these for your application. My G0634 12" J/P just arrived a few weeks ago and have not had a chance to post. I made simple steel caps for the legs so that I can use the greatlakes casters on my J/P too. Hope to put these on this weekend, so should post pics soon. I have run 10" wide black walnut through the J/P with excellent finish from the carbide insert spiral cutterhead. I have a 1" Lenox Trimaster blade on the bandsaw and needless to say resawing same black walnut board was very easy cut with very satisfactory finish. You will be very happy with the quality and value from your Grizzly choices. Do consider the greatlakes casters, inexpensive and no mobility kit frame to get in the way.

Brian Kent
06-04-2008, 6:05 PM
Just bought the 513X2 Bandsaw this year. Love it.

Bought the 1023sl Table Saw. Love it. Very smooth. If I had the option two years ago, I would have tried to afford the riving knife, but because of cost probably would have bought the same machine.

Cary Swoveland
06-05-2008, 2:04 AM
Chris,

I strongly recommend getting the spiral cutterhead with carbide cutters for the 12" J/P. It leaves a very nice finish with virtually no tearout, significantly reduces the noise level, and, of course, avoids the need to sharpen and adjust knives.

For about the same money, you could get Grizzly's 15" planer (G0453Z) and 8" jointer (G0490X), both with spiral cutterheads. Yes, they would take up more room, and yes, the jointer is 4" less in capacity. The advantages are a jointer bed that is 12" longer, a slightly wider planer (not a big deal) and the convenience of separate machines. Also, I find the height of the jointer bed more comfortable with a separate machine than with a combo.

I used to have a MiniMax 300 Smart combo that had a 12" J/P. I found the need to go between the jointer and planer a nuisance. I would joint some boards, then switch over and plane them, then need to touch up an edge on the jointer, etc. Each time I switched to the jointer I had to crank the planer table down 6" or so in order to provide room for flipping over the dust port. I sped things up by attaching a portable drill to the table crank shaft. It probably took no more than a minute or two, but I just found it a pain. Those among us who are more organized probably wouldn't mind so much, as evidenced by the fact that many here are very happy with their combo J/Ps, but I'll never go back to one.

I now have Grizzly's 8" jointer and 15" planer with spiral cutterheads. They are both excellent machines. At times I'd like a bigger jointer, but that's quite a ways down the list.

Cary

Rick Potter
06-05-2008, 2:24 AM
If I am reading your post correctly, you are not getting the mobile base for the saw because of insufficient funds at the moment. I assume you will wait to get a mobile base later on.

Check with HTC website, under closeout deals. They change from time to time, and have good deals on closeout models...Like $25-30. I have bought a couple and they are very sturdy.

Rick Potter

Kevin Davis
06-05-2008, 9:45 AM
Chris,

I have the GO634 and have been using it for a few weeks. I went with the HTC Custom Heavy Duty mobile base based on the weight of this puppy. I actually got it off the pallet and on to this base by myself which was a feat my wife didn't quite get as excited about as I did. This is my third HTC and I would save my pennies for one.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I love the jointer and the planer is good. I would have liked it to be about 12" longer on each side. The only beef I have is with the pork chop guide. It is a pain to take on and off. If Jet would have had a spiral cutter head, I might have gone that route. I also rewired and moved their on/off box. It is right where you stand when joining so I did some drilling and tapping and moved it just under the planer out feed table. The Grizzly support has been great too.

Kevin

Casey Carr
06-05-2008, 3:46 PM

I'd try and stay away from the Shop Fox mobile bases. I have one on my jointer. They did not allow enough room for the pivoting wheels to spin 360 degrees. So you can really only push it from one direction, otherwise the wheels get caught on the main frame and it gets stuck. At the least stay away from this type of mobile base if you decide to get one.

Chris Ricker
06-05-2008, 9:37 PM
Thanks to all who responded, with careful consideration I've decided on....

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/23 10" with Riving Knife and no mobile base

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/48 Without mobile base and with spiral cutter head

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/97 without mobile base.

many thanks to all who responded, especially Bret Leishman whose suggestion for the casters I will use and, Cary Swoveland who convinced me to go with the Spiral cutter.

So far the Creek has cost me an additional $50.00 without the mobile bases(which I still need to make) but your opinions are worth every penny and more.

Phone call to be made Fri. (work permitting) or Sat.

I would like to have all delivered on the same day, so as not to loose too much work time. Lift gate service is required. I don't want to be a PITA but if I'm spending over 5G's with the company, should I expect some sort of "up-grades" or "throw-ins" ?

If I'm out of line let me know

You Guys are Great!!:):):)

Jim Kountz
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Chris,

For about the same money, you could get Grizzly's 15" planer (G0453Z) and 8" jointer (G0490X), both with spiral cutterheads. Yes, they would take up more room, and yes, the jointer is 4" less in capacity. The advantages are a jointer bed that is 12" longer, a slightly wider planer (not a big deal) and the convenience of separate machines. Also, I find the height of the jointer bed more comfortable with a separate machine than with a combo.

Cary

Cary took the words out of my mouth here, this would be my only change personally in your list. The bed on that combo jointer is just a wee bit short me thinks for a 12"er. If you have the room get the dedicated machine is my pick.
For what thats worth! ;)

John Keeton
06-06-2008, 6:58 AM
As to your request for a discount, on a purchase of over $3000 (as I recall), Grizzly will consider an emailed request for a discount. It is somewhere in their policies. I did this, and was offerred a discount of about $50 IN MERCHANDISE, which I declined. Keep in mind, that with the increasing cost of metal, soaring fuel costs, and the decline in the dollar, all of the imports are going up in price on a regular basis - just like everything else! There are deals out there on stuff because of the "recession", but heavy tools don't seem to be one of them.

If you take delivery all at once, make sure you have enough room to uncrate and assemble the tools. It takes more room than you think!