PDA

View Full Version : Money burning hole...

Larry Nall
06-03-2008, 6:16 PM
I just came into $1000 through no honest effort of my own, therefore I feel obliged to blow all of it on tools.

I know $600 is going for a new IR compressor, but I can't make up my mind on the balance.

I have two projects coming up:

One is a suite of office furniture - arts and craft - so there will be lots of mortise and tenon joints. I'm thinking a benchtop mortiser would be handy.

The second project is a set of cabinets for the laundry room/pantry. To be consistent there will need to be a wide profile on the doors. My PC690 and Freud 2000 routers probably can't handle the profile bit needed.

So, which way would you go?

If I decide on the mortiser, seems like the Delta is getting trashed. The Jet gets bettter reviews. I haven't heard much about the Grizzly. Which would you go with.

If I go the router route, It's between the PC 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625-20. I'm leaning toward the 5625 because it's less expensive and I don't have any Milwaukee tools. I kind of like to give all the major brands a try. Am I losing anything by not going with the PC?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

J. Z. Guest
06-03-2008, 6:27 PM
Sounds like you've already got a working mortiser.

I'd go with the Milwaukee router; their stuff is SUPER good. Puts DeWalt and Porter-Cable to shame these days.

Brian Elfert
06-03-2008, 6:40 PM
Look at your local Craigslist for a decent compressor instead of spending $600 on a new one. I found a decent IR one for $200. Good deals on compressors pop up on the Minneapolis Craigslist at least every few days.

Ben Cadotte
06-03-2008, 8:16 PM
I just not too long ago I picked up a Powermatic Mortiser and the big Milwaukee router from amazon. Have not regreted either one. Used the router more since getting it. Love it. I have not tried the mortiser in hardwood yet. I really like the Powermatic mortiser. Its more than the Griz or Deltas though.

Randal Stevenson
06-03-2008, 8:21 PM
I just came into $1000 through no honest effort of my own, therefore I feel obliged to blow all of it on tools.

So, which way would you go?

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Down to the local police station, and turn yourself in! No honest effort of your own (stole it)?:p