PDA

View Full Version : How many drills do you use when projects use lots of screws?

Ben Cadotte
06-03-2008, 3:57 PM
My last shop project was a cabinet for storing automotive fluids and maintenance stuff. For the fisrt time I have all 3 of my cordless drills working (needed a battery for a Dewalt).

Anyway, I ended up using all 3 at once. Makita I had just a 5/32" bit in for predrilling (my countersink drill bit not long enough). My Dewalt I had the countersink in. And my Ryobi I used for driving the screws.

I almost bought one of those quick flip type countersinks / drivers, but thought why not just use 2 drills. In this case I was driving screws longer than the countersink and was a little afraid of splitting the sheeting. So I also used a longer pilot bit. Seemed to work out ok.

What do you use for lots of screws?

Dwain Lambrigger
06-03-2008, 4:09 PM
Ben,

I just built a workbench in my garage. I was going to buy the same quick connect counter sink bit too. Norm has one, and it looks cool. I ended up using my DeWalt 14.4 for counter sinking, Ryobi 18V for the screws.

Lance Norris
06-03-2008, 7:31 PM
I use 3 also. Drill bit, Drill bit w/countersink, Driver.

Steve Flavin001
06-03-2008, 8:15 PM
drills the pilot hole for the screw, countersink for the screw head, and if desired counterbores for the plug. :cool:

Countersink length is adjustable for respective length of screw.

see snappytools.com

Part 40030 contains set of five or available individually for gauge of crew

Alan Tolchinsky
06-03-2008, 8:15 PM
I use an plug in drill to drill the holes and an impact driver to drive them. Works well if you're careful not to overdrive.

Rich Engelhardt
06-03-2008, 8:19 PM
Hello,
2, 3 or 4 & sometimes 5 - depending.
My now busted B&D cordless had one excellent feature.

The chuck had a quick release w/a hex shaped driver bit holder under it built onto the shank. I could stick a driver in, and put the chuck on over it - drill - countersink w/another drill, then pull the chuck and drive the screws.
I really missed that a couple of weeks ago when I was putting in some mini blinds.

Last summer I used no less than 5 drills when mounting some treated 2x4's to a basement wall.
1 - Drill a pilot w/a 1/8" bit.
2- Hammer drill the concrete for a Tapcon.
3 - Spade bit to create a large hole to recess the head of a Tapcon.
4 - Screwdriver bit to start/half drive the Tapcons.
5 - Hex head driver bit to finish off the Tapcon and snug it down.
While at first glance, #4 & 5 may seem odd/redundant, It just worked out better - I fell into a rhythm where it was easier to use a screwdriver until the clutch slipped, then finish off with a hex driver to snug it down.
I had ~ 75 or so holes to drill/Tapcons to run.

J. Z. Guest
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I use one drill with a combination drill/counterbore bit and my impact driver to drive the screws.

If I'm using up the rest of my Home Depot wood screws, I don't use the impact, as it twists the heads off those crappy screws. I'm liking plated drywall screws more and more lately. They're cheap, strong, and available in a wide range of sizes.

Impact drivers don't strip Philips screw heads like drills do, which is nice.

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Most of the time, it's just one...my Festool 12v...but during carcass construction, I'll typically use it for driving and use my Dewalt 14.4v for pre-drilling just for efficiency. (McFeeley's square drive screws are all I use)

Chris Friesen
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm liking plated drywall screws more and more lately. They're cheap, strong, and available in a wide range of sizes.

Have you tried Spax or McFeeleys Robertson-head screws? Much stronger than most drywall screws--they're strong enough to drive into hard maple without predrilling (this is likely to split the wood, but is useful for testing screws).

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
(McFeeley's square drive screws are all I use)

I have converted to Star drives.
Nothing else resists cam out like a Torx or star drive (except maybe an internal hex Allen drive)

As to the self drilling screws that are supposed to eliminate pre-drilling I say: BOLLOX~!!
Unless material is removed it still has to go somewhere and a self drilling screw does not eject the chips it just packs 'em in.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-04-2008, 1:26 PM
I only own 2 drills. And I use 'em both all the time!

Prashun Patel
06-04-2008, 2:07 PM
The more drills, the merrier! Rechucking just means a lot of sore fingers (even with the quickchange chucks) and worse - lost bits (since they like to run away when you put them down).

Nothing beats having enough trim routers and drills to let you have permanently chucked bits!

Ben Cadotte
06-04-2008, 2:14 PM
When I watched the NYWS show on the shop hutch. I was like how many routers does a guy need. Well I am actually getting there. I am now up to 5 in the router department. I have more in corded drills though :o

Travis Rassat
06-04-2008, 2:25 PM
I thought the same thing when I saw that episode!

Jude Tuliszewski
06-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Three, like a few have said; 1 for drilling, 1 for counter sink or counter boar, and one for driving. Less battery change out as well for high screw quantity jobs.

Jason White
06-05-2008, 5:16 PM
I bought a pair of 12-volt DeWalt cordless drills when they were on sale at Lowe's for $99 each a couple of years ago.

I use one with a countersinking bit and the other for driving the screws. Nice when you've got one hand holding the work and the other is doing the drilling and driving. I keep them right next to each other within easy reach.

Jason

My last shop project was a cabinet for storing automotive fluids and maintenance stuff. For the fisrt time I have all 3 of my cordless drills working (needed a battery for a Dewalt).

Anyway, I ended up using all 3 at once. Makita I had just a 5/32" bit in for predrilling (my countersink drill bit not long enough). My Dewalt I had the countersink in. And my Ryobi I used for driving the screws.

I almost bought one of those quick flip type countersinks / drivers, but thought why not just use 2 drills. In this case I was driving screws longer than the countersink and was a little afraid of splitting the sheeting. So I also used a longer pilot bit. Seemed to work out ok.

What do you use for lots of screws?

Joe Jensen
06-05-2008, 7:28 PM
I use as many as are handy. In the shop usually a min of 2, a drill and an impact driver. Often 3 or 4. When outside the shop, one..joe

Walt Caza
06-05-2008, 8:11 PM
Good question Ben,
When building furniture with screws concealed by tapered plugs,
I find it most efficient to use three drills.
In the shop, I like corded VSR drills with good power and no batteries to
play with...I want it to work when I ask it to!

I often use a 3/8"dia forstner for screw heads, clearance drill so that
the screw does not 'jack' my hardwood boards apart, and a Robby red#8
to drive the screws home.
take it easy,
Walt
:)