PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid and the Lifetime Service Agreement

Steve Sawyer
06-03-2008, 3:36 PM
I bought a Ridgid 12v cordless drill about three years ago. The thing that drove the purchase was looking at about $90 to replace two batteries for my DeWalt, vs. $130 for the Ridgid that included two batteries, a charger and a lifetime service agreement that said they'd replace the batteries free of charge.

The batteries' ability to hold a charge had been declining noticeably in the last six months, so i figured it was about time to test this out. The snag is you have to take the batteries, plus your registration information (do NOT fail to register the tool with Ridgid's MyToolbox when you buy it) in to an authorized Ridgid service center, and you'll have to live without the batteries until the replacements arrive.

The closest one to me was a little hole-in-the-wall place that is only open from 9:30 - 5:00 and Saturday from 10:00 - 2:00, so it's a little tough for working folk to get to. I took the batteries and said documentation into them a week ago Friday, and just got the call today that the batteries are in, so figure 10 days minimum without your trusty driver/drill. It might be longer than that if I can't get there until Saturday.

This is a good deal financially, but they sure don't make it very convenient. If I need to go through this again, I may drive further to find a service center that has more convenient hours at least. You don't realize how much you use your driver/drill until you don't have it. Sheesh! :eek:

Ben Cadotte
06-03-2008, 3:52 PM
I am sure the "hassle" is to protect them somewhat from the possibility of a shady repair place putting in false claims, and most likely will keep some from actually using it. Sounds like you got your monies worth.

I had 2 Dewalts go out on me. Whats bad is I have 2 Makita 9.6's that are at least 5 years older still going strong. Don't know if Makita used different materials. Or Dewalt's are that cheap. My last purchase was a Ryobi set, just becasue I wanted a couple of the other cordless tools for some light projects. I actually like the Ryobi driver though. I use all three now.

Brian Weick
06-03-2008, 3:53 PM
It's either that or pay over $100.00 for new bateries. Frankly I would prefer what you did.
Brian

Steve Sawyer
06-03-2008, 4:36 PM
Frankly I would prefer what you did.

Oh, I'm not complaining - I just wanted to let folks know that they might want to be more careful than I was about selecting a time to exercise their options, and selecting a service facility (if you have a choice).

I even (after the fact) considered replacing the batteries one at a time! They only take about 20 minutes to recharge. Even if I'm only getting ten minutes of use out of 'em on a charge, it might be preferable to being without a drill at all.

Brian Weick
06-03-2008, 4:43 PM
Is that the new lifetime service on the batteries just became effective this year ? am I wrong?:confused:
Brian

Steve Sawyer
06-03-2008, 4:59 PM
Is that the new lifetime service on the batteries just became effective this year?

No, this is part of Ridgid's lifetime service agreement that's been in place for at least three years, as it was in place for this drill that I bought three years ago.

Ben Rafael
06-03-2008, 5:17 PM
I thought it was illegal to require registration in order to take advantage of a warranty?

Dave Lehnert
06-03-2008, 5:33 PM
I thought it was illegal to require registration in order to take advantage of a warranty?

it's not a warranty. It is a Lifetime service agreement. What the difference is I have no idea. Never understood that.

Dave Sweeney
06-03-2008, 6:20 PM
it's not a warranty. It is a Lifetime service agreement. What the difference is I have no idea. Never understood that.

The difference is that the service agreement replaces parts that wear out vs a warranty that covers parts that break due to mfg. defect.

When Ridgid started the Lifetime Service Agreement they even let owners of tools that were purchased before the program started register their tools into the program. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

J. Z. Guest
06-03-2008, 6:25 PM
Steve - If your experience turns out to be like my brother's they will question whether it was your fault and figure out a way to charge you for the repair. He wound up having to pay $30, because they decided the messed up clutch was his fault (it wasn't) and when he received his drill back, they had stripped the enclosure screw holes, and now there's a gap in the enclosure.

For anyone considering the purchase of a Ridgid product, I wouldn't let this "Lifetime Service Disagreement" sway your purchase towards Ridgid.

Ben Rafael
06-03-2008, 6:38 PM
I'd be willing to bet that a court would find that there is no difference. Some attorney will glom on to this and start a class action when someone who didn't register their tool is refused service.

Gene Michael
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
when my Craftsman 14.4 v batteries went south, I used the Battery Bank in Orlando. They carried replacement batteries, but also can rebuild old ones as long as the cases are undamaged. My new battery arrived the third day after ordering. They're easdy to find on the net, as are literally dozens of similar companies. To me, this was easier than dealing with what Steve described, and at the cost of gas, probably no more expensive. :D

Steve Sawyer
06-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Steve - If your experience turns out to be like my brother's they will question whether it was your fault and figure out a way to charge you for the repair.

Well, they didn't - I picked up the new batteries today - no charge.

Other than the deal on NiCd batteries (which do wear out) I would agree with you that this would not clinch a sale for me for any other Ridgid product. That said, I've been happy with my floor drill press, and am getting ready to buy one of their oscillating belt sanders which I've used twice in other people's shops and have been very impressed.

Dewey Torres
06-04-2008, 2:26 AM
Great thread Steve. One of the mags I subscribe to (PWW) had an article in it about the Rigid LI-ION drill. They chose the drill based on the lifetime warranty you describe here. Yes.. Ok... it is not as convenient as you would like (maybe) but better then having to replace it:)

Page 70 April 2008 (PWW)

Thanks for posting!

Dewey

Jeffrey Makiel
06-04-2008, 7:08 AM
I can't imagine how Rigid can support this agreement for a power tool. Unlike a non-powered tool, like a rachet wrench, a powered tool will always wear out unless there is an expressed lifetime assigned to the tool.

Interesting.

-Jeff :)

Tim Malyszko
06-04-2008, 8:24 AM
I'd be willing to bet that a court would find that there is no difference. Some attorney will glom on to this and start a class action when someone who didn't register their tool is refused service.

Count me in on the class action case if that does happen. I have a number of Ridgid tools and have had problems registering every single one for the lifetime service agreement - IMO their registration process is worse than claiming a rebate.

My tablesaw still has not been registered after 3 different mailings back and forth with Ridgid. Each time they would send me a piece of paper with a checklist of items missing and each time the missing items changed. I kept copies of everything I sent in, but after the 3rd attempt I gave up since they made it so difficult.

Just from my personal experience, I will never let the lifetime service agreement sway my decision process again since the registration process can be somewhat confusing and the authorized service locations are rather limited.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get replacements.

Steve Sawyer
06-04-2008, 8:34 AM
I have a number of Ridgid tools and have had problems registering every single one for the lifetime service agreement - IMO their registration process is worse than claiming a rebate.

Hmmm... I didn't find it too onerous. Anything I can do online instead of by snail mail always seems to be much more convenient to me.

There are worse procedures, believe me. Try buying a Phillips Sonicare electric toothbrush that advertises rebate-style free merchandise that turns out to be an endless chain of registering to receive an application to apply for consideration for a submission opportunity to request rebate merchandise. I finally gave up, which is something I'm sure they were counting on.

Tim Malyszko
06-04-2008, 8:39 AM
Hmmm... I didn't find it too onerous. Anything I can do online instead of by snail mail always seems to be much more convenient to me.

If it was all on-line, it would not have been a problem, but the on-line registration still required me to send in additonal info. The last checklist sent to me (which I'm looking at right now), asks for the Serial number and my Promo Coupon (whatever that is). I provided them the serial number on-line and contacted them about the promo coupon and was told it was on the box. Since I no longer have the box and don't even know what a promo code looks like, I gave up. It wasn't worth my time.

Ben Rafael
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I can't imagine how Rigid can support this agreement for a power tool. Unlike a non-powered tool, like a rachet wrench, a powered tool will always wear out unless there is an expressed lifetime assigned to the tool.

Interesting.

Agreed.
Maybe somewhere in the fine print Ridgid defines "Lifetime". Whose lifetime are they talking about.
All in all if you get your batteries replaced once in a lifetime it is still a good deal.
It reminds me of the joke where a man goes into a restaurant and sees a special "All you can eat for $5.00". He orders it, waiter brings him a plate of food, he finishes the plate,asks the waiter for more, Waiter says all you get. Man says "Sign says All you can eat for $5.00", Waiter says that 1 plate is all you can eat for $5.00.

glenn bradley
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I am sure the "hassle" is to protect them somewhat from the possibility of a shady repair place putting in false claims, and most likely will keep some from actually using it. Sounds like you got your monies worth.

I had 2 Dewalts go out on me. Whats bad is I have 2 Makita 9.6's that are at least 5 years older still going strong. Don't know if Makita used different materials. Or Dewalt's are that cheap. My last purchase was a Ryobi set, just becasue I wanted a couple of the other cordless tools for some light projects. I actually like the Ryobi driver though. I use all three now.

I had the same experience with my Makita vs. my DeWalts (all 9.6). The Makitas outlasted two sets of DeWalt batts. I eventually had both sets of batteries rebuilt by MTO and they are going strong again.

Dave Sweeney
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
[quote=Ben Rafael;866368]Agreed.
Maybe somewhere in the fine print Ridgid defines "Lifetime". Whose lifetime are they talking about.
quote]
Believe it or not, the "Lifetime" they refer to is your lifetime. If the tool last as long as you're alive they will fix it for free.

Howard Acheson
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Agreed.
All in all if you get your batteries replaced once in a lifetime it is still a good deal.
It reminds me of the joke where a man goes into a restaurant and sees a special "All you can eat for $5.00". He orders it, waiter brings him a plate of food, he finishes the plate,asks the waiter for more, Waiter says all you get. Man says "Sign says All you can eat for $5.00", Waiter says that 1 plate is all you can eat for $5.00.

Have you read the Agreement? Go here and you will probably have all your questions answered.

www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

For example "Lifetime is defined as the original registered owner and the life of the tool.

Among other things it covers batteries for as long as you own the tools.

It does not cover stationary power tools only "hand" or portable power tools.

It does not cover "consumable" items like drill bits, saw blades, etc.

Bruce Benjamin
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Interesting.

I'm sure they're counting on people being attracted by the, "Lifetime" part to buy it and then they're counting on them being too lazy, busy, or confused by the paperwork not to follow up and take advantage of the offer. From previous posts it sounds like Rigid isn't making it easy to sign up for the service agreement nor are they making it easy to make a claim.

How could they possibly make this work financially if they had to replace even just one or two batteries for every battery powered tool they sell. It's a certainty that all of the batteries they sell will eventually fail but they also know that only a small percentage of the people buying the tools will take advantage of their offer. For their non-battery powered tools, how often do these fail? When was the last time your circular saw or drill press stopped working? It's not likely and then if it does it's even less likely that the owner is going to haul the drill press to a service center, assuming he was able to get it registered in the first place.

I'm lazy about lifetime warranties just like most people. I buy an alternator for my car from NAPA with a lifetime warranty. It lasts 2 or 3 years and then I can't find the receipt. I buy another. It's been the same with other car parts over the years as well as a few items in my home. It takes organization and the desire not to waste money, neither of which I have in abundance. Congrats to Steve and anyone else who can make this Rigid service agreement work for them. It's clearly possible but not easy.

Bruce

J. Z. Guest
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
It does not cover stationary power tools only "hand" or portable power tools.

This is news to me Howard. Home Depot advertised this agreement for my table saw & jointer. It was marked right on the box, I believe. I sent the paperwork in by snail mail and haven't heard from them since.

I did try to register them online before sending in the form and noticed that those tools weren't on their site.

I will raise hell if I ever have an issue that they won't resolve.

Dave Sweeney
06-04-2008, 1:50 PM
Sorry Howard, you hiccuped on this one. Some of the stationary tools are also covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. I own a Ridgid TS3612 contractor table saw and it's registered under the LLSA and Ridgid has acknowledged that it is registered in the program. The tools that seem to qualify for the LLSA are all the tools that are manufactured by TTI, under license from Emerson/Ridge Tool. Emerson/Ridge Tool made products such as the Miter Saw Utility Vehicle, shop vacs, etc are not covered under the LLSA.

I hear a lot of complaints about the time it takes to receive confirmation that tools are being registered into the program. The main reason I believe that it takes so long now is that HD is selling a ton of Ridgid tools nowadays and the shear volume of sales is the main culprit in the delay. When I registered my saw when the program first started it only took two months for me to receive my Registration Card which I didn't find all that unacceptable. I'm also thinking that many of the people having difficulties with the registration process aren't following the proper steps necessary to make it a painless procedure but that's just my opinion.

David Cramer
06-04-2008, 2:27 PM
I recently (about 1/2 year ago) gave my drill away with the original receipt to a friend who was in desperate need of a drill. He was moving out of state and was required to have his own drill at the place where he was to be employeed.

I never, ever used the drill. I bought it and figured that I would use it when my Dewalt or Makita took a dump. They haven't and my friend was in need. I didn't have the funds to lend him (who does?), so I just gave him the drill.

Why tell you this? Because after sitting in the original case for years, since back when the original lifetime offer was originally made, and him using it for about 6 months, the batteries were weak and wouldn't hold a charge long enough for his shift at work. I never registered the tool, but I had made a photocopy of the original receipt and had the original, both of which I gave to him. I was never told that I had to register it and I made more than one phone call. I was just told to make a copy of the receipt because the original will fade.

My friend had to do the same thing that the original poster did. He dropped the batteries off and waited. The tool wasn't registered but the company accepted it anyways. He had to drive over 50 minutes each way and then back again to pick them up. That was well over 3 hours of driving and almost 200 miles on his vehicle. He paid more than $60 for gas with his pick-up truck that gets just under 13 mpg. Then of course there is the time factor, 3 plus hours of his life.

I'm not saying it's worth it or not, you can decide that for yourself. To me it wasn't and I am glad that I gave him the drill for free and that I don't own any Ridgid Tools anymore.

I have read where people have argued and fought with them to get the warranty work done without having to pay anything. That is wrong. Originally, employees of Home Depot were telling customers that they just had to bring in the battery whenever it died and they get a new one. Then they started telling the truth, partially. Some knew and some had no clue. They were saying what they were told to say, but this is way back when the lifetime warranty was first offered. Try saving gas and sending your batteries via the mail and you'll pay both ways on that as well.

I'll stick with my Dewalt and 9.6v Makita and take care of business when they die. Sincerely, good luck to you who've bought the Ridgid, I hope they honor the warranty without making you work too much to get it.

David

Ben Rafael
06-04-2008, 3:23 PM
Dave,
The 3612 was before the Limited Lifetime Service agreement. It has a lifetime warranty, at least mine does.

Dave Sweeney
06-04-2008, 5:41 PM
Dave,
The 3612 was before the Limited Lifetime Service agreement. It has a lifetime warranty, at least mine does.

That's very true it was before the LLSA but Ridgid allowed all previously purchased woodworking tools to be grandfathered into the LLSA Program. You did have to go through the registration procedure and they waived the UPC requirement. Yes it has the lifetime warranty but that "warranty" only covers mfg. defects not normal wear and tear items like the LLSA does. If the motor on my 3612 dies, I get a new one for free. Another 3612 owner who didn't register into the LLSA Program will have to purchase a new motor if their dies a natural death.

Johnny Kleso
06-04-2008, 6:20 PM
I have a DeWalt 18v and just rebuilt one batery with a $12.** HF 18v

It took about an hour and the batteries where about 1/4" shorter and was kind of a pain..

I had to cut all batteries loose and use wire to connect in correct pattern..

I use the cardboard from top and bottom of DWs as pattern to layout battery shape..

I pre-soldered (tinned) wire and metal tabs before soldering wires.. Seems to have worked well for a $13 fix..