PDA

View Full Version : PM 5220 model "C"

Thomas Bennett
06-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Let me introduce the first, unofficial , Powermatic 5220 model C. Notice the three position lateral outboard tool rest. There is a framework joining the bottoms of the cast iron legs, with improved levelers. The weight box, commonly referred to as “the casket” around the shop, is ¼ plate steel. Currently there is noting in it. I plan to fill it with sand. I do bump “the casket” when I turn. It probably should have been a few inches narrower. I’m getting used to it, though, and it is not a problem.
The model “C” can handle 52 " between centers. The gap between the outboard tool rest and the lathe bed is around 8 inches. The outboard tool rest can be reversed to narrow the gap.
The weight is great. I debated the weight box concept with many turners. The few turners I know that have one seem to love it. I do. I did not want to fasten the lathe to the floor.
The graphics on the electrics are redesigned. The knobs are ebony, redoak, some maple and walnut. Better than the cheap plastic version on the old model B.
The paint job is industrial powdercoating. I hope to be posting photos of the ambrosia tabletop soon.

Thomas Bennett
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Here are a few more photos

Andy Hoyt
06-03-2008, 1:11 PM
I merged your two threads Thomas - makes it easier for all of us.

So what is this beast?

John Sheets
06-03-2008, 7:23 PM
Thomas,
Ya gotta love the Model C. Are you sure those are wood species, or did you just get confused after your last meal at the Thai restaurant? If not, how about sending me a blank of that pai-mu.
JS

Brodie Brickey
06-03-2008, 8:17 PM
Thomas,

That is awesome. When will manufactured production begin on the extension? I'd love to get one, sadly my metal working skills are up to it.

Pete Jordan
06-03-2008, 8:57 PM
Thomas,

I love it! Can you post the dimensions and materials so I can talk to my neighbor?

Thanks,

Pete

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Thomas that is a awesome looking lathe. That thing has some heft to it.

Gary Herrmann
06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Dang, I need to learn metal work.

Steve Sherman
06-07-2008, 7:37 PM
My first reply on this site...

I am a full-time woodturner and have used my 3520A for seven years
6-8 hours a day without much of a bobble. Love the machine, have used almost all the "others" and always come home to my PM.

I am in awe of your design and execution in metalwork. Can you post a more in-depth study of dimensions and perhaps an explanation as to how you drop the bed for outboard turning

Thanks, Steve

Thomas Bennett
06-09-2008, 8:01 AM
Here is a fragment of an e-mail message I wrote to Pete Jordon about the fabrication of the “Model C”. I made the various parts one step at a time and never had a drawing.
As for the dimensions, I noticed the bed ways (sp?) are 3” wide. I bought some 3” stock (1/2' I think) The rest of the stock is all salvage steel. I started with the big 'I ' beam and some 1/4 plate for the base. Create a spacer for the gap and attach the “I” beam using the existing pre drilled and tapped holes in the cast legs. I arranged my outboard section to have either a 4” or 8” gap. As you can see from the forum photos, I found out real quick the tool post needed to moveable laterally to the bed, hence the 3 positions for the outboard stand. I made the tool rest out of 1” round stock bent on a Harbor Freight pipe bender. There is no vibration with the post resting on the floor, actually a rubber mat.
I wanted a stable leveling system as I am 6'2' and had the spindly levelers screwed up to the maximum. I made a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 tube stock 'H' base that screws into the cast legs. I put a little more 'spread' on the stretchers. The box is independent of the base and rests on the cast leg horizontal supports, with a piece of rubber as a gasket. You might want to keep the box plumb with the bed...mine is almost as wide as the legs and I am getting used to leaning on it with my shin bone. I have not filled the box with sand, yet.
Anyone that wants some higher res photos , and copies of the improoved graphics is welcome to contact me and I will send some more photos through conventional e-mail.
Be sure to keep the inverter knob dialed to the appropriate species of wood.

neil mackay
06-09-2008, 9:01 AM
Thomas,

Interesting design and it looks darn solid even with out the sand box. I know what you mean about 'no drawings' having built two lathes myself using the fabricated style.

well done

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-11-2012, 9:26 AM
I guess I am being obtuse. I really appreciate the redesigned 3520B and it surely looks solid. I just don't understand the title "I had a nice lathe". I assume you refer to the fact that your 3520B lived in the space you now show as empty but where is the redesigned lathe?
faust