PDA

View Full Version : Plow Plane?

Mark Kelly
04-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Can someone explain what exactly a plow plane can do (i.e making groves, dados or rabbets?) Also, can you explain how exactly it does this (as in, how the blade can go deeper to cut a groove, etc.) I have never seen a plow plane before and thus the reason for the ignorant questions. Thanks.

Greg Wandless
04-12-2004, 3:41 PM
Mark,

Not an expert on plow planes but I have seen pics of them. I believe they are used to make groves for things like glass and panels in stills and rails.

They work because the iron is the same width as the body like a shoulder plane only smaller.

Hope this helps
Greg

Terry Beadle
04-13-2004, 9:29 PM
Plow planes are mainly for dado's and grooves. You can do some molding with them but it's a lot of work. I have a multiplane that I like to use for drawer grooves/dado's that the bottom is housed in . One thing about a plow plane is that you start it near the end of the dado and slowly work your way back towards the start with the deepest part being at the end of the dado you're working on. This allows you to carefully slice the cuttings instead of just butting them out. I do recommend you watch Jim Kingshott's planes videos. The second one is especially good and has a good demo of the 044 and 043 records. He also uses a nice wooden plow too. Good luck and happy planeing.

Scott Quesnelle
04-14-2004, 9:44 AM
Plow planes (or as they are known in england plough planes) are used for making grooves, you could probably do a rabbet with it (assuming it is with the grain).

You should go and take a look here:
http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/tools.htm

Under wooden planes you will see some wooden plows (plough), and under metal planes you will see such planes as the 45,55 and the Rapier plough.

The thing that all these planes have in common is a skate. That is the metal portion on the bottom of the plane that is just under 1/8" wide or so and a inch or two tall. This is what supports the blade. it is also the key to letting a plow plane make different width grooves. You can make a groove as narrow as 1/8" or as wide as 1/2". You can control the depth of the groove using a shoe that is mounted on the body of the plane. When this touches the wood the iron won't be able to cut any deeper.

What Greg stated about the use of the plow is correct. You start at the end of the groove, and make a short (4-6") stroke. Then you continue making short strokes but length them a little every single time. This way the part you have already plowed guides you on those first few cuts. One thing I have forgotten to talk about is that it has a fence which also helps you guide the plane.

Overall, take a look at the site above and you will see many nice planes. I also recommend looking at the "Stanley Blood and Gore" site. Search on google for that and you should find it no problems.

If you want a good book on different planes and their uses. I suggest Graham Blackburn's "Traditional woodworking tools" ISBN 1558218742