PDA

View Full Version : umbrella stand

Walt Caza
06-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Good day to the Creek,
With my latest shop time, I built an umbrella stand, for our recyling program.
We had been accumulating waste paper in open bins, which were nasty in the house, and even worse outside...rain, snow and wind blown!
We are now taking part in a pilot project using larger, lidded and wheeled bins. The trucks hoist'em with a hydraulic arm to spare the driver, as they get heavy.

White oak, arts and crafts style, function over form.
It was the first time I played with 2pc legs, worked out alright, but kinda a frantic glue-up, and hard to get enough clamping both ways.
I decided it would be easier to make up full frames and then cut the bevels.
Each pair of legs and each pair of upper and lower stetchers were taken from the same board, all the way around.
The 3 pairs of slats I resawed for bookmatch.
I custom blended a few spashes of oil stain, less dark and less red than my last posted project.
I did not pop the rays this time, but muted them unless in strong raking light. I find it fun to mix'em up, and mix it up!

At least now there is no more eyesore in the back room, and the paper grocery bag filling up with recycle no longer falls over.
This was fun to build, and is already put to good work in our home.
It took me a weekend to design and dress stock, a pair of weekends to build, mostly waiting on glue-ups, and a fourth weekend to finish.
Who the hell has a bunch of umbrellas anyway?!?

pics are: slats, 4 frames, grain matches, mitered bottom and leg **more pics follow**
Thanks for looking,
Walt
:)

Walt Caza
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
More pics are:
top view
recycle bag view
old bin vs new
out to curb
the Boogie man !! [they tell me that there is no back, so we'll call this my less-preferred face...]

J. Z. Guest
06-03-2008, 1:26 PM
Very nice work Walt. I had given up and just brought my recycle bin inside the house. It looks pretty ghetto, so I will probably build something like this in the near future.

Very good job on the build. Flawless miters at every corner. Are they reinforced at all?

gary Zimmel
06-03-2008, 2:49 PM
Walt

From one mission guy to another, Sweet looking recycle/ umbrella bin...

Excellent matching of the wood, and I love the design. I hope you don't mind if I steal the design and build one. How about a quick detail of the dimensions...

Whats the next arts and crafts project? Maybe we should make a couple of morris chairs in QSWO.

Great job again.

Walt Caza
06-03-2008, 3:27 PM
Now that's alot of pics for such a tiny project!
Yes Jeremy, I did reinforce corners:
Typically most biscuit joiners would do this with the fence set at 45 degrees.
The PC557 joiner fence allows 45+90=135 degrees, for a nice positive locate. (had hoped that might come in handy some day)

pics are:45 biscuit cutting, vs 135 biscuit cutting, biscuits on bevels, raw corner, and stained corner

I feared that if all the corners were not tight and tidy, this project would be burnt toast. Execution went ok, but had I better planned for glue-up,
I would have bought some white glue, as the open time on the yellow proved murder for this one.

Ya, those bins are ghetto fabulous! Thanks for your kind words.

Ahh...and what do we have here...upon completing a project, Mr.Zimmel shows up to ask me what is next! I love that...
as evidenced ad nauseum right here...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84840

Gary the paper bags are about 12x7 x17"tall, so the 3/4" dressed stock
dictated the dimensions. If you're just being kind, thanks.
If you want specific dimensions I will gladly share them, and be both surprised and a tad flattered!
Thanks for your kind words,
Walt
:)

ps I am gathering skills, and not quite ready...but would love to build
remote Morris chairs with you and any other Creekers together!
See that...now this guy pulls another idea rabbit out of his hat...

Carl Heidesch
06-03-2008, 5:31 PM
Great design !!

Some AWESOME patterns on that qswo !!!!

Carl

John Thompson
06-03-2008, 6:36 PM
Next time around I would consider plugging the screw holes I saw in one of the pictures with a plug you make... or you can buy them already made. It would do more justice to your work not to allow the screw head to show. You could even contrast the color of a plug just for effect.

Now... with that said which is a very minor thing as most probably wouldn't even notice or you could have done it on purpose to send a sub-limenal (however they spell it) message or somthing.. :)

Bottom line when I saw it was the great design for it's function.. choice of wood excellent.. execution of joints well done and the grain matching you did is nothing short of outstanding which all adds up to an outstanding piece of work.

You should celebrate this piece by treating your wife and self to a trip to DisneyWorld in tribute to a job extremely well done. :D

Start another project immediately while you are "on a high roll". ;)

Regards...

Sarge..

Keith Starosta
06-03-2008, 7:12 PM
Walt, that really is very nice!!!

I generally am not a fan of a darker finish like that, but for some reason this one appeals to me a great deal. Can I ask what your finish schedule was? Did you use a dye, gel stain, or something else?

Thanks!

- Keith

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 8:28 PM
That's a kewel project, Walt! And the material is wonderful.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-04-2008, 6:48 AM
The grain pattern is pretty intense. It adds a lot of special character to the piece. Nice.
-Jeff :)

Glenn Clabo
06-04-2008, 7:01 AM
Nice work Walt...
You invented a new style...
TrashCraft

Jason Tuinstra
06-06-2008, 6:01 PM
Walt, the oak looks terrific. Can't beat the look of QS. Very handy project, unless you're from the Central Valley of California. I think we've had 4" of rain in the last two years :eek:

Ben Martin
11-29-2009, 9:10 AM
Great looking umbrella stand, that turned out awesome. I think this would be a perfect accessory to my morris chair!

What about using a lock miter joint in the corners instead of the biscuits?

I will have to look back through my Stickley catalogs, I know I some waste baskets in there, is that what you modeled it after?

Cody Colston
11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
That's a neat project, Walt and very well executed. For not trying to "pop" the grain on that QSWO, the ray flecks really show up well. I really like that finish. Thanks for sharing it with us.

glenn bradley
11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
The Boogie Man scared me. I use some sort of decorative basket for my dry recyclables and have always felt it was kinda "girly" for a guy's house. I may hae to steal your idea. Great looking piece. Thanks, as usual, for sharing.

gary Zimmel
11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice to see this project pop up again Walt.

Said it before, but Sweet little recycle bin..
Always like the A& C or mission style.

As a side note.
Isn't the place when the big chair thread was born?