PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw bearings wearing out?

Mark Rios
04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
How long should my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw bearings last? I got it around October and I was giving it a tune-up/cleaning this weekend and I noticed that the guide bearings, both sets, were pretty rough and didn't spin very well. Should they have failed this soon? Should I call Grizzly up and have them send me some new ones under warranty or should I start looking for some good aftermarket ones? Where do I get some good aftermarket bearings?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Mark, six months on those bearings would bother me. By all means, talk to the manufacturer about this. Hopefully, you are also cleaning them frequently...

Mark Rios
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Jim, I blow them off clean, along with the rest of the saw, with my air compressor every time I finish a project on it. Is there more to cleaning them than that?

Mark Rios
04-12-2004, 6:06 PM
I called Grizzly and told them pretty much what I put into my original post and, without missing a beat, the person on the phone started asking me for my shipping information so that he could get me out four new bearings right away. Just like that. No muss, no fuss.

Thanks very much for your replies. Your encouragement to call Grizzly seemed to be all that was needed.

I was still wondering if there were different, upgrade bearings that one might be able to buy though. Would there be a difference in performance between brand new bearings from Grizzly and some brand new higher quality bearings from another manufacturer; Other than lasting longer?

BTW, you folks don't think that my milling all of the walnut and root ball material would have anything to do with the bearings wearing out prematurly do you? ;)

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 6:09 PM
BTW, you folks don't think that my milling all of the walnut and root ball material would have anything to do with the bearings wearing out prematurly do you?
I think that root ball was out to get you! Can you say, "Sand, dirt and rocks?":rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
04-12-2004, 6:34 PM
How long should my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw bearings last? I got it around October and I was giving it a tune-up/cleaning this weekend and I noticed that the guide bearings, both sets, were pretty rough and didn't spin very well. Should they have failed this soon? Should I call Grizzly up and have them send me some new ones under warranty or should I start looking for some good aftermarket ones? Where do I get some good aftermarket bearings?

Thanks for your help.
Mark. Glad Grizzly is taking care of you on the bearings.:D I am a griz customer and they have always taken care of me.
There are better bearings out there. If you have a local bearing and transmission sales outlet, or an automotive supply, just take the bearings in next time you need them and they can measure them up and get you some.
On a lot of my bearings, especially router bit bearings, I oil them ocassionally. Even though most bearings are sealed, if you lay them flat and drop a little oil on them, the oil will seep into them, giving them a fresh lube. Most bearings nowadays do not have grease in them, just light sticky oil. Thats why they wear out sooner than they should.
Most all bearings now have only a metal shield on them, no rubber seal on the inside edges. So---dirt and dust enters drying out the oil.
The top end bearings have a rubber seal along with the metal seal, with actual grease in there instead of sticky oil. [If you can find them anymore].
Steve

Greg Heppeard
04-12-2004, 10:05 PM
I hate to say it, but a lot of Jet bandsaws seem to have the same problem. I've had obtain a spare set of bearings and keep them soaking in a thin machine oil. I replace the bearings when I notice that they aren't spinning right anymore, I can usually tell by the noise difference in the saw. I seem to be able to keep things going well with alternating the sets of bearings about every other month.