PDA

View Full Version : Using CorelDraw on Parallels

Dee Gallo
06-03-2008, 8:45 AM
Is anyone else using CorelDraw on Parallels (Mac)? I have a small but annoying situation: I cannot use the delete button. If I press it, I just get a "glunk" sound and nothing happens. Worse yet, if I press control-D, the whole thing turns off and I lose the work, which is bad since that's a knee-jerk habit from using it on windows. I have to go to the edit drop down and select delete. Other than that, it seems to work fine.

Thanks for any insight you guys or gals might offer, dee

Peck Sidara
06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Dee,

We have a Mac and run Parallels using Corel X3. I came across this before and it's just one of differences between a Mac and PC.

It's either Alt + delete OR Apple + Delete.

Vicky Orsini
06-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Are you folks using your Mac to run the laser? Do you find it works OK? I've been wanting to get a Mac for quite some time now (hubby lets me use his, but he likes to rub my nose in the fact that it's "his" Mac), but I've been holding back because I thought I should get another PC in case the one running the laser dies on me again.

Dee Gallo
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks Peck! That seems so odd, but hey, it works!

Once again, SMC to the rescue - you've got to love this forum!

Vicky - no, I have not used the Mac to run the laser since I have a dedicated Vaio for that - but I have read other posts where people have with no problems. I just prefer doing everything else on the Mac in general.

cheers, dee

Peck Sidara
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Vicky,

*Most* laser systems do not run directly from a Mac. Running your laser from a Mac requires a 3rd party software called Parallels (or others that do the same thing), which is basically running Windows within the Mac OS. You open "windows" in the Mac like you would CorelDraw on your PC.

This is a great option for those who are acustomed to using Mac's, prefers Mac's and would rather have a visit with their dentist before using a PC.

Vicky Orsini
06-03-2008, 1:19 PM
Thank you, folks! This is exactly the kind of ammunition I was looking for to convince myself that getting a new Mac would be a good idea. :D It would certainly make life easier if I could do my designing while I'm in other parts of the house or even while I'm out, as opposed to being constantly tied to the laser. :rolleyes:

Tod Kurt
06-03-2008, 2:54 PM
Just another data point: I use CorelDraw on my Macbook printing to the Epilog all the time. It works great. I used to use Parallels to run Windows-in-a-window on the Mac, but now I use VMware Fusion. It seems to be less processor-intensive than Parallels, important on a laptop. Both seem to run Windows at about 80-90% of the speed of Windows running directly on the laptop. (The new Macs are, after all, Intel PCs capable of running Windows or Linux without the Mac OS X operating system)

Dee Gallo
06-03-2008, 3:06 PM
Tod, I'd be interested to know how VMware deals with printers in general. My parallels works okay with Epson and Konica-Minolta, but I have a friend who has fits with certain printers, especially HP large format.

Thanks, dee