PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Machine Recommendation

Jeff Wright
06-03-2008, 8:21 AM
I am shopping for a Blu-Ray machine. I am considering getting the PlayStation3 by Sony, the creators of Blu-Ray format. My thinking is that it is capable of taking advantage of the interactive features on the newer Blu-Ray discs, is wireless capable and can have its firmware updated when changes are introduced. In additioin, I am told there is not as long a disc start-up delay when watching movies as there is with other Blu-Ray devices. As a bonus, it can serve as a gaming device for when the grandkids visit once or twice a year.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions about whether this is a good choice or ways that getting the PlayStation3 may limit my enjoyment of watching movies, my main goal (as I am not an avid gamer myself)? Do you suggest other machines and if so, why?

jeremy levine
06-03-2008, 8:29 AM
I think it's a fine solution so do many web-sites so go for it.

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 9:06 AM
The pundants are currently saying that the Playstation is the most feature rich solution as it includes all the connectivity upgrades that are yet to get into the "player" marketplace. They don't figure that will happen until late this year or early next year at my last read. I would say that if you need a Blu-Ray deck now, cause your DVD player is toast or whatever, or if you want the extra utility that the game machine offers, the Playstation would be a good, safe choice.

Jerome Hanby
06-03-2008, 9:20 AM
Also all the Ninetendo Wii hoopla has really riven the Sony Playstation prices down. I'd be tempted to look around for a used one.

But there is a reason for all the hoopla, the Wii is pretty amazing. Even with all the silly flaws (a machine that is tailor made for small children that requires handling proprietary CDs that cannot be backed up or installed once onto the HD, what were they thinking!?) it's a pretty revolutionary concept. Everyone in my house enjoy something on the Wii. Too bad the bowling maxes out at four players, it would be a great party game!

Mike SoRelle
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I've had a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player for a year and a half or so now and it's marvelous for it. It also has a decent web browser, so I've been known to check out the creek without leaving my recliner.

I still don't own a single game for it though, the 360 gets all that work.

I would strongly suggest picking up the Sony bluetooth media remote, it's the best way to control movie playback, I'll also warn you don't just box up the included PS3 game controller. Set it on a shelf where you can find it because it's the only controller you can use to install firmware updates and you'll be pissed when you can't find yours and the meda remote doesn't work (DAMHIK).

Compared to the prices of the stand alone players and considering the PS3's upgradeability it's probably the best deal. You can also play media from PC's on your network which is a nice bonus, I often use it to stream MP3's or so show vacation pictures to people. Much nicer to have a room full of people sitting in the living room looking at 106" of screen than to have them all crammed into my office looking over my shoulder at a 26" monitor.

Jeff Wright
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your comments so far. I really appreciate your feedback!

Tim Morton
06-03-2008, 5:50 PM
There is also the opinion that even though the BD format won the war, it is really not ready for public release. Unless you "need" a HD machine now, or you will use the "play" part of the playstation then there is a strong argument to wait until the christmas shopping season to make the purchase.

Mike SoRelle
06-03-2008, 6:17 PM
There is also the opinion that even though the BD format won the war, it is really not ready for public release. Unless you "need" a HD machine now, or you will use the "play" part of the playstation then there is a strong argument to wait until the christmas shopping season to make the purchase.

I'd take issue with that statement, there's not really anything inherently wrong with the format or the technology, but it certainly would be foolhardy to get a player (standalone or otherwise) that didn't have a means of easy firmware upgrade.

If you have a display capable of > 480P resolution, it's certainly a worthy upgrade.

Jeff Wright
06-03-2008, 7:34 PM
I'd take issue with that statement, there's not really anything inherently wrong with the format or the technology, but it certainly would be foolhardy to get a player (standalone or otherwise) that didn't have a means of easy firmware upgrade.

If you have a display capable of > 480P resolution, it's certainly a worthy upgrade.

I have a recently purchased a Samsung 1080P LCD TV. Having spent the money on the highest resolution, it is a shame not to be able to enjoy it to its fullest. I find I often choose a program based on if it's broadcast in HD. Once you see HD it is difficult to go back. A lot like using a LN hand plane, and then trying to use something with less quality!

Mike SoRelle
06-03-2008, 7:51 PM
I have a recently purchased a Samsung 1080P LCD TV. Having spent the money on the highest resolution, it is a shame not to be able to enjoy it to its fullest. I find I often choose a program based on if it's broadcast in HD. Once you see HD it is difficult to go back. A lot like using a LN hand plane, and then trying to use something with less quality!

Absolutely. And it's a significant difference, even compared to some HD programming available via satellite and cable, the dirty little secret about broadcast HD is that they are constantly adjusting the compression level on the signal that's being sent in order to maximize their transmission capacity.

I have a hard time watching SD these days.

Tim Morton
06-03-2008, 7:55 PM

I may be wrong, but the PS3 is the only player on the market that will allow a FW upgrade. Plus non of the BD machines upconvert well, so i stand-by my statement and I respect your disagreement:)

Mike SoRelle
06-03-2008, 8:22 PM
I may be wrong, but the PS3 is the only player on the market that will allow a FW upgrade. Plus non of the BD machines upconvert well, so i stand-by my statement and I respect your disagreement:)

I know Sony (standalone) samsung and panasonic all make firmware upgradable models (I believe it was supposed to be a requirement of the spec, but I'm not sure on that point) I believe the general way of doing it is to dowload an ISO, burn it and power on the unit with the disc in.

I've never really looked at the upconvert quality coming out of the PS3, all my standard DVD's are in a 400 disc 777es changer and since it's output is component it ends up running through my video processor to make it's way out as HDMI.

I'm pretty sure a standard dvd has never graced the loading slot on my ps3.

That said, I'm not terribly impressed with any upconverting, some of it's okay, some of it's not, but the bottom line is, the data is simply not there, so it's all just guesstimation regardless of who's algorithm and chips are being used to do it.

I'm not an bluray fanboy by any stretch, I have an HD DVD player and a good number of HD Dvd movies that I got dirt cheap when the local movie gallery location realized they had to unload them.

I'm frankly just glad that it didn't go as far as the whole beta/vhs fiasco, the upside being, quality wise, blu-ray and HD dvd are pretty much the same unlike vhs which was much lower quality than beta.

But I really do hate seeing people that invest in a 1080 display but then watch standard cable, it just boggles my mind, and they talk about how great it looks while I'm seeing pixels the size of my hand

Tim Morton
06-04-2008, 5:31 AM
I stand corrected...last I checked which was months ago, there were no FW machines except the PS3.

I am also an HD owner with an X-A2.