PDA

View Full Version : Matrix/Vibe owners?

Brian Penning
06-03-2008, 7:27 AM
Anyone has either of these 2 cars? Opinions?
How about from a WW point of view? Could I stick some 8-10 foot rough lumber inside and drive with the trunk open?
Roof rack a good idea?
TIA

Matt Meiser
06-03-2008, 8:25 AM
Brian, I don't own one, but where I used to work (a GM supplier) there were a couple people that had them. I can't give you any details, but overall they really liked them.

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 9:03 AM
I've driven them as a rental. They were not bad, but were less roomy inside than Professor Dr. SWMBO's Prius. I don't know that you'd get too much 8-10' material on the inside, but with a roof rack you could carry a few boards with no problem. A small utility trailer might be a good choice for more than very incidental hauling of woodworking materials.

John Lock
06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I bought mine last summer. I've carried 150 bf of rough sawn oak (7 foot boards) home with the hatch closed. The back seats and front passenger seat fold flat to allow for lengths up to about 7 or 8 feet long to fit. If you wanted to go longer, you could open the glass (not the entire hatch) and have it hanging out the back a few feet.

I will warn you that I haven't been really happy with the ride quality. I drive 65 miles to work (all highway) and the vibe seems to have a really stiff suspension and the road noise can be an issue for some people.