PDA

View Full Version : Wood countertop question

Geoffrey Frey
06-03-2008, 12:45 AM
My wife was thinking she wants wood countertops in the kitchen. I looked at going the Ikea route until I read the experiences here. I don't mind renovating, but renovating the renovation doesn't particularly appeal to me... :eek:

If we end up doing this, I have two ideas about the countertop, but not sure about the best way to go. The first way would be just to laminate the wood together (1 1/2 inches thick). I imagine this is the standard way to go. My second idea, in an effort to maybe save some money would be to use a 3/4 inch plywood underlay and the laminate 3/4 inch thick wood on top and glue into place. I would have to put some sort of edging with this option.
Would the second option be asking for trouble with wood movement and humidity/spill issues. I was thing about a tung oil finish- perhaps 6 or 8 coats.

Thanks in advance!

Joel Herzel
06-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Grizzly is selling maple counter tops made by Michigan Maple Tops for less than I can buy the maple for - just in case that interests you.............

Joel

Jamie Buxton
06-03-2008, 1:03 AM
I missed any bad reports about Ikea countertop material, but I put Ikea oak countertops in parts of a kitchen two years ago, and it worked out fine.

I strongly recommend using wood in a kitchen only away from water. There is no wood finish which will keep standing water from damaging the wood. For the counter near the sink, use something more waterproof. For instance, on that kitchen with the Ikea wood, there was slab granite in the area near the sink, and wood on two other counters. The kitchen happened to have three counters, so this arrangement worked nicely.

Laminating solid wood to plywood as you've suggested is a very bad idea. The solid will try to expand and contract, and the plywood won't. The difference will either break the bond with the plywood, or it will make the counter try to hump and down in the middle.

Frank Drew
06-03-2008, 6:37 AM
All very good advice, Jamie.

I've never seen a wood sink surround that didn't end up nasty looking (stained, joints opened).

Jay Jolliffe
06-03-2008, 7:55 AM
I have to disagree with Jamie about not using wood near water. The counters I have & this is the second house I've made Mahogany counter tops . I use something called Good Stuff a wipe in urethane that is good for counters from the Maple Block Co. I have never had a problem with water staining. I have an apron sink in the counter. You have to seal the end grain with 4 or 5 coats of the Good Stuff. On the counter I did 3 coats. The more you do the shinier it gets. If it gets to shinny just use 0000 steel wool to soften it down. Of course you don't leave pools of water on the counter.

Chuck Saunders
06-03-2008, 8:12 AM
I just put in a counter with the maple counter top from Grizzly. I am all smiles:):):)

Maurice Ungaro
06-03-2008, 8:30 AM
Another good source for countertop material is Lumber Liquidators http://www.lumberliquidators.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?parentCategoryId=18&categoryId=21&nonFlooring=1. Their price on maple is pretty darn good, and for a few dollars more, you can get cherry.

David Cramer
06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Before finding The Creek, I posted the following on another site many years ago.

I went through an experience in March of 2000 and it had an amazing affect on me, and what you are about to read is true.

I had someone drop off a chunck of butcherblock countertop for me to sand down. It had on it what I call, a bunch of googly gunk. That coating of cr*p that is present on wooden tops after years of use. I could not fit it through my planer so I sanded it. Even wearing a mask and sanding with everything opened up, I was infected.

A couple days later I had red dots on my ankles and the next day I had full redness up to my thighs. It went to my chest and I was in extreme pain over my entire body. Our daughter was only 5 months old and our son had just turned 5 the day before. I stayed in our bedroom and had major trouble standing. I knew I was in serious trouble.

I went into the emergency room 2 or 3 times during the night over a 10 day period. I went over 80 hours without sleep. My temp was between 105 and 106 for long periods of time. My feet had swelled up so much I could not wear anything into the hospitals on my feet. I was barefoot in March in Michigan. I wanted to die.

I am a runner and the doctors at first thought that I brought in a virus through my lungs while running in the woods. They also thought I had meningitis because of the light that bothered my eyes, but that was normal for me. Two people had just died in Michigan from it and I actually thought they were right. I was totally prepared to die and just wanted to go as soon as possible, it was that bad.

I soon realized what I had done and told the doctors. They knew that the layer of cr*p that I had sanded off had loads of bacteria, fungi, etc.... in it and so did I. At the time, I was hurting so badly I couldn't think. Obviously, I inhaled it.

I started hallucinating at one point while in our bedroom and didn't know who I was, where I was, or anything. I just crawled to the bedroom window, stared out and I couldn't figure out anything. My wife came in the room and knew by my face that I was not me and didn't know her. She walked away crying and slowly closed the door. I was confused. thought I was dead and couldn't figure out why I was in this room. I finally passed out and when I woke up, I knew who I was but I was still in pain. On about the 10th day, I told the doctor what happened in the bedroom and he said that is normal when you are in extreme pain with very little relief and going on no sleep for days. It was scary, that's all I knew.

Anyways, I tell you this story because I know that wood is good, but not around food and water, they just don't mix well. You might be fine, but you're gambling, even when cutting on sealed wood. You don't want to go through want I went through, believe me. I actually didn't give all the details, as to not gross anyone out. It was not fun and no they never found out exactly what caused it. But they are convinced as I that it was because of my stupid act that I normally wouldn't have done, but did that day. Be safe!

David

Geoffrey Frey
06-03-2008, 9:33 PM
Thank you for all the replies. Definately some things to think about! Still not sure what we will do, but this has given me a good start in deciding what to do.

Geoff

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's something else to think about, Geoff...so many of us tend to specify just one counter material for our kitchens when there may be very good reason to use multiple materials that are ideal for particular purposes. Wood is very comfortable to work on and is quite suitable for many tasks. Stone has desirable properties, too, especially around the hot range and sink as well as for some baking prep purposes. Metal is also well liked for baking prep surfaces...the coolness helps prevent sticking.

The bottom line: there is no "rule" that says you have to pick just one material. If you like wood, celebrate it where it makes sense to use it, but don't be afraid to use something else where wood might be more of a maintenance concern.

Jerry Olexa
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I love wood and use it everywhere I can. But in a kitchen, I would be hesitant. Wood and water generally do not mix well. The maintenance of a top to be resistant to moisture, spills, abrasion could be frustrating. I just installed Corian countertops in our kitchen a few weeks ago. Just MHO...

Graham Skinner
06-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Geoffrey.

I found this website a while back when I was looking for a top for my workbench.
They have a few species to choose from as well.

http://www.mapleblock.com/

Hope it helps you decide.

Cheers....Graham Skinner...

Jeff Duncan
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I did half and half in my kitchen when I remodeled it. Granite on the half that surrounds the range, and 1-3/4" thick mahogany on the half around the farmers sink. A few points I'll add, first, if your making a top for yourself you don't have to use 1-1/2" wide pieces. This is the most common way b/c it's cheaper, companies can use up stock that's too thin for other uses. It may be marginally more stable, but I'd rather go with nice wide slabs myself. My top is made up of 3 wide pieces and although I thought there would be some cupping over time, so far (2 years) it's stayed surprisingly flat.
Secondly, you can use wood near sink areas if your finish is suitable and again, since it's your house you'll likely take care of it. You won't have long term success with an oil finish near a sink area though. IMO oil finish is just not practical for a counter unless you really enjoy mundane tasks like constantly sealing your counters.
Another one that for some reason is misunderstood, a wood counter is still a kitchen counter and NOT a cutting board. I really don't understand why people feel the need to cut on a counter b/c it's made of wood. You wouldn't cut directly on a stone or plastic (corian etc) counter would you? That's what cutting boards are for, a wood counter should not be used in that way.
The last thing I'll say is to avoid gluing solid 3/4" to ply, that is not going to last long. Solid wood needs to move, it's simple as that. Either go with a solid wood counter or don't. Just don't try some ill advised method od saving a couple bucks now only to have to replace the whole thing down the road.
good luck,
JeffD

Jim Becker
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Another one that for some reason is misunderstood, a wood counter is still a kitchen counter and NOT a cutting board. I really don't understand why people feel the need to cut on a counter b/c it's made of wood. You wouldn't cut directly on a stone or plastic (corian etc) counter would you? That's what cutting boards are for, a wood counter should not be used in that way.

This is one I absolutely agree with. The island I made for our kitchen (it was the prototype for the rest of the cabinetry) has a nice thick maple top with some walnut inlay. Cutting on it is forbidden...there is a separate maple cutting board dedicated to that as well as some other cutting boards where needed for safe food processing. The wood cutting board also will slip onto the apron front (farm) sink when it's convenient to have running water while cutting.

Richard McComas
06-04-2008, 3:15 PM
sometime around 20 years ago I did my entire bathroom in wood, I mean every exposed surface including the tub surround. I've been very happy with it. It's just now showing signs of needing some more Gym Floor.

This picture is about a year old.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/Bathroom.jpg