PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Questions......

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 12:23 AM
OK....I've got some questions for all the folks here that own and ride motorcycles.

1. What type and brand of oil is the best for a motorcycle engine that wont impact the clutch? (Honda Shadow) Oil Filter too while we're on this subject.
2. What's the best way to clean the chrome and painted surfaces?
3. I assume that standard car wax will work fine on chrome exhaust pipes?
4. For those that ride to/from work....how are you making yourself more "visible" to all those driving cars/trucks to better your safety?

Craig D Peltier
06-03-2008, 1:51 AM
OK....I've got some questions for all the folks here that own and ride motorcycles.

1. What type and brand of oil is the best for a motorcycle engine that wont impact the clutch? (Honda Shadow) Oil Filter too while we're on this subject.
4. For those that ride to/from work....how are you making yourself more "visible" to all those driving cars/trucks to better your safety?

Cleaing chrome and Painted surfaces I can answer. There are lots of cleaners out there. Since I ride a Honda , Honda Spray cleaner works great on all chrome, plastic, paint , pipes (make sure there not warm)and your seats.
HD has one I think its called Hog SH** or something like that, that I heard works well.

Oil- Amsoil

Visibility, loud pipes. Alert. Visibility out fo your helmet sides easily.

You can got www.vtxoa.com (http://www.vtxoa.com) an go to the forums and look at the tech section, theres thousands of helpful people on there.

Heather Thompson
06-03-2008, 4:18 AM
Dennis,

As far as cleaning the bike goes, I would recommend S100 Total Cycle Cleaner, this stuff is made in West Germany and it works great. It is not cheap, I get it at my local BMW (bring money with you) dealer. :D In reguard to oil, run from Amsoil! I bought a road race bike years ago from a professional racer and this is what he told me. Since he had two championships under his belt I tend take his advice. When it comes to safety, ride aware and always wear proper gear (helmet, gloves, boots, leathers). I have riden over 100,000 miles with no serious injuries, I did total one bike in Missouri do to an encounter with an animal. Riding a motorcycle is like working with tools, there is a level of risk involved, there is also a great deal of satisfaction.

Heather

Kurt Strandberg
06-03-2008, 5:58 AM
Cleaing chrome and Painted surfaces I can answer. There are lots of cleaners out there. Since I ride a Honda , Honda Spray cleaner works great on all chrome, plastic, paint , pipes (make sure there not warm)and your seats.
HD has one I think its called Hog SH** or something like that, that I heard works well.

Oil- Amsoil

Visibility, loud pipes. Alert. Visibility out fo your helmet sides easily.

You can got www.vtxoa.com (http://www.vtxoa.com) an go to the forums and look at the tech section, theres thousands of helpful people on there.

If loud pipes save live, why do people get hit by trains?

Didn't they hear it coming?

The train didn't swerve into there lane

JMHO

Al Willits
06-03-2008, 8:12 AM
Loud pipes are a way for morons to make their bikes sounds badder...to them.
Think droppler effect, or the next time your waiting at a intersection on a freeway, if you see a bike coming, see when its the loudest, its not before it gets to ya.

Honda's redline oil, if they still sell it was very good oil, spendy, but you don't use much anyway.

As far as being safe, ride like they're out to get you, they don't see you and many just don't judge distance when it comes to bikes, they will pull in front of you or come into your lane, drive like they don't see you...because most don't.

I used a lot of the Mequires (sp?) products for cleaning and polishing, hit a few of the bike/car shows and round up all the free or cheap samples you can, then find which one works for you.
I think you'll find that there's a lot of cleaners/polishers that work well.

Al

Jason Roehl
06-03-2008, 8:47 AM
Good post about the pipes, Al. (BTW, it's "Doppler effect"). I hate loud pipes. A one time, there were probably 8-9 Harleys that lived within 2 blocks of me, and a stupid teen with an insta-deaf stereo in his car. I was not a happy camper.

As for engine oil, it depends on the bike, but in my last bike ('94 Suz Katana 750), I ran a full synthetic. Find a manual for the bike, find what weight it recommends for your climate (I'm sure in Arkieland that you need the heaviest weight it calls for), and then get that weight in a synthetic. If you don't run the bike hard, you'll get many miles out of that oil.

When I rode, I basically assumed everyone else was out to kill me. That worked great except for the two times I was on slick surfaces and went down on my own. I forgot that I was out to kill me...:rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
06-03-2008, 9:07 AM
No one has mentioned a safety vest for you to wear for visibility. I notice those on riders.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2008, 9:41 AM
Nancy....in Dennis' case...do they make safety bib overalls?:rolleyes:

Mike SoRelle
06-03-2008, 9:51 AM

For the sewing inclined, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to affix some strips of the reflective material to the overalls.... :D

Craig D Peltier
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Loud pipes are a way for morons to make their bikes sounds badder...to them.
Think droppler effect, or the next time your waiting at a intersection on a freeway, if you see a bike coming, see when its the loudest, its not before it gets to ya.

Honda's redline oil, if they still sell it was very good oil, spendy, but you don't use much anyway.

As far as being safe, ride like they're out to get you, they don't see you and many just don't judge distance when it comes to bikes, they will pull in front of you or come into your lane, drive like they don't see you...because most don't.

I used a lot of the Mequires (sp?) products for cleaning and polishing, hit a few of the bike/car shows and round up all the free or cheap samples you can, then find which one works for you.
I think you'll find that there's a lot of cleaners/polishers that work well.

Al

Loud pipes save lives.Bikes horns are very weak.When someone is coming into your lane or looking oblivious give a toot to your pipes and they can hear you.
Ive used this many times in splitting lanes in LA, people move right over.
Thanks for calling me a moron too... Appreciate it. Maybe your just a bit cranky when it comes to loud things.

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM

ROFL!!!!! Good one Ken!!!!!!! Good One!!!!!! :D

Craig D Peltier
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Dennis,

As far as cleaning the bike goes, I would recommend S100 Total Cycle Cleaner, this stuff is made in West Germany and it works great. It is not cheap, I get it at my local BMW (bring money with you) dealer. :D In reguard to oil, run from Amsoil! I bought a road race bike years ago from a professional racer and this is what he told me. Since he had two championships under his belt I tend take his advice. When it comes to safety, ride aware and always wear proper gear (helmet, gloves, boots, leathers). I have riden over 100,000 miles with no serious injuries, I did total one bike in Missouri do to an encounter with an animal. Riding a motorcycle is like working with tools, there is a level of risk involved, there is also a great deal of satisfaction.

Heather

I would think anything you buy from a BMW dealer is going to cost you. Id place a bet that the honda cleaner works just as well. Cost is $5.99 or $6.99. Dont take me wrong BMW makes great cars and bikes I suppose , they just charge a little too much.

Never heard anything bad about amsoil , so theres no facts other than one guys opinion to run from it?

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I've always worn helments when riding motorcycle. I've never worn any kind of other safety gear except for gloves in the winter and always long pants.

Today, because of family and a requirement by the LOML, I'm wearing these:

Safety Vest by Vision Vest:

No...that's not me in the pic....I'd be wearing my bibs under the vest. :rolleyes: I know this vest works VERY well as I've already had 2 people talk to me at a local gas station telling me that because of the vest, they were able to see me from a LONG way away.

This jacket is HEAVY!!!!! It does have a type of body armor in various locations and when riding to / from work, I do wear it as well as leather gloves.

BTW, I've used Amsoil products for about 20 years and have never had any problem at all with those products. I just wasn't sure about synthetic and the clutch plates.

Keep those tips and pointers coming.!!!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I used to ride a 60's vintage Triumph Tiger:

1. What type and brand of oil is the best for a motorcycle engine that wont impact the clutch? (Honda Shadow) Oil Filter too while we're on this subject.What ever I had handy.

A rainstorm (you can always tell the happy biker by the bugs in his teeth).

3. I assume that standard car wax will work fine on chrome exhaust pipes? Never tried it but, I'd think it'd burn and make a mess.

4. For those that ride to/from work....how are you making yourself more "visible" to all those driving cars/trucks to better your safety?A pocket full of old bolts and spark plugs.

A friend of mine had a rifle in a holster converted from a saddle holster. He claimed that once he put that on his bike that no one ever messed with him again.

JayStPeter
06-03-2008, 11:28 AM

1. Most synthetic oils don't do well with clutches. There was one weight of Mobil 1 that was actually OK (and for some reason had different friction modifiers than the other weights). I wish I could remember which one, but I didn't use it. I usually used a synthetic blend motorcycle specific oil (Golden Spectro or similar). You need to find a MC shop that isn't a dealer and sells the stuff in gallon jugs. Still pricey, but way less than quarts from a dealer.

2. My bikes had little chrome except for the exhaust pipes.

3. Try it in an inconspicuous area, the actual pipes will sometimes discolor but the heatshield/muffler areas are usually fine.

4. Bright clothing and a big orange ball of a helmet are my strategy. My riding gear is red with lots of reflective material and my commuting helmet was a Shoei in bright orange. The glowing orange globe actually had a noticeable effect when I was commuting on the DC beltway. Nothing else actually seemed to help. You still need to assume you're invisible.

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Duluth Trading (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/mens/mens2/mens_protectivegear/mens_protectivegear.aspx?navlocation=dept_left) has some nice high-visibility gear available...although no overalls...

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Duluth Trading (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/mens/mens2/mens_protectivegear/mens_protectivegear.aspx?navlocation=dept_left) has some nice high-visibility gear available...although no overalls...

Nice stuff...but no hi-vis overalls. I guess I'll have to get the LOML to make me a pair. ;)

Al Willits
06-03-2008, 1:09 PM
""""""""
Thanks for calling me a moron too... Appreciate it. Maybe your just a bit cranky when it comes to loud things.
""""""
No, just tired of getting pulled over by cops who are PO'd at bikers who think waking citizens up at 3 am is cool, or blasting by them with open pipes at full throttle scary the crap out of them.
If your one one these, the name fits.
Buy a better horn, they are out there, been putting them on bikes for 40 years now.
I'm not buying the louder is better, put the mufflers back on and learn how to drive.

Al

Lee DeRaud
06-03-2008, 1:34 PM
Buy a better horn, they are out there, been putting them on bikes for 40 years now.And a really loud horn is a lot cheaper than a loud set of pipes. (Especially if you factor in tickets.)

The louder horn is probably equally useless for waking up the oblivious twit in the adjacent lane driving with one hand and half a brain as he jabbers away on his cellphone, but at least it doesn't annoy the snot out of everyone nearby for the entire duration of your ride.

Brad Schmid
06-03-2008, 3:21 PM

In my Harley, I use HD ScreaminEagle Syn3 20/50. It's designed for use in the engine/transmission/primary. I never need to worry about stocking different fluids for different purposes. Not sure about Honda though...

Probably a very subjective question;) I just use Harley chrome cleaner because I have a tube. I'm sure most brands are about the same. Same for cleaners, soaps, waxes. I use alot of HD products just because so everyone else at home knows it's for the bike and they won't mess with it:D But the Maguires, etc that I use on the cars would work just as well i'm sure.

I don't wax the pipes (or anything else that gets over several hundred degrees). I don't really see any point... Wax won't hold up to that for more than a few seconds. In fact, my experience has been that if there is any type of contaminate on chrome and then it gets heated to extreme exhaust temperatures, it causes "bluing" on the chrome. I havn't had problems with heatshields bluing, but definitely pipes...

First - I ride every day (with heavy lightning being the only possible exception), and I ride like everyone is trying to kill me and assume no-one can see me.

Second - I have a deal with my 2 kid's: I always wear a helmet, armored jacket (silver with glow-in-the-dark piping for visibility), leather gloves and boots, and kevlar jeans. In return, they must always wear a helmet on their bicycle, and helmet + pads if they're skateboarding or some such thing. I could probably become a bit more visible by changing from a black helmet to white or yellow or something, which I may do when it's time to replace it again.

Third - Also, I'm in the habit of "flashing" my brake lights when stopping. From experience, it's much more noticeable to the driver behind me if those lights are flashing, and not just steady on.

David H. Mitchell
06-03-2008, 3:52 PM
I use the Honda Synthetic oil and Honda filters.
As far as cleaning I use a product called Bomb. It is great on the chrome
and the Tupperware(plastic).

I use a headlight modulator, it does help. On the rear wig wag tail lights. If
those fail, my airhorns.

Dave:)

Craig D Peltier
06-03-2008, 4:13 PM
""""""""
""""""
No, just tired of getting pulled over by cops who are PO'd at bikers who think waking citizens up at 3 am is cool, or blasting by them with open pipes at full throttle scary the crap out of them.
If your one one these, the name fits.
Buy a better horn, they are out there, been putting them on bikes for 40 years now.
I'm not buying the louder is better, put the mufflers back on and learn how to drive.

Al

Have you ever seen grumpier old men? Are you related?

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2008, 4:44 PM
Easy now gents.....I didn't ask this question to start the ever hotly debated issues of loud versus quiet pipes for motorcycles. Let's stay off the loud/quiet pipe conversation, ok??!

Jason Roehl
06-03-2008, 5:01 PM
Okay, Dennis. But I-4 engines are better than V-twins anyday... :D

Lee DeRaud
06-03-2008, 5:12 PM
Okay, Dennis. But I-4 engines are better than V-twins anyday... :DAnd V4s are better than either. :cool:

JayStPeter
06-03-2008, 5:34 PM
Easy now gents.....I didn't ask this question to start the ever hotly debated issues of loud versus quiet pipes for motorcycles. Let's stay off the loud/quiet pipe conversation, ok??!

Sheesh, take the synthetic vs. dino oil question to a motorcycle forum. Sorta like an EZ vs. Festool subject :eek:.

Mike DeHart
06-03-2008, 6:25 PM
1. Most synthetic oils don't do well with clutches. There was one weight of Mobil 1 that was actually OK (and for some reason had different friction modifiers than the other weights). I wish I could remember which one, but I didn't use it. I usually used a synthetic blend motorcycle specific oil (Golden Spectro or similar). You need to find a MC shop that isn't a dealer and sells the stuff in gallon jugs. Still pricey, but way less than quarts from a dealer.

I believe it was nicknamed redcap. If you find a synthetic without friction modifiers you should be ok.

Barry Reade
06-03-2008, 6:28 PM
Okay, Dennis. But I-4 engines are better than V-twins anyday... :D

My KTM 950 and a bunch of Ducati's would disagree:p

Mike DeHart
06-03-2008, 6:30 PM
from the mobil site:

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:
Superior long-term engine protection.
Superior high-temperature stability.
Excellent low-temperature starting.
Outstanding engine performance.
Low volatility/low oil consumption
It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:
Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).
(Updated December 2007)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2

Barry Reade
06-03-2008, 6:30 PM
And V4s are better than either. :cool:

Lee, what kind of V-4 do you have?

Barry Reade
06-03-2008, 6:38 PM
I have run Amsoil in my motorbikes since 1985. They make a 10-40 and a 20-50. It is compatable with wet clutches which most motorbikes have. I have run it in drag bikes, street bikes, dirt bikes, cars, boats, chainsaws, and lawnmowers. Good stuff. There are also other great oils out there and you will find that no two folks run the same oil and it is a nasty subject and most motorcycle forums have banned oil threads. So pick an oil that is rated for you bike and application that is eASY TO FIND AND DOES A GOOD JOB.

This is still the USA and we get to make our own decisions except when Dennis says we can't on this forum.

Lee DeRaud
06-03-2008, 7:27 PM
Lee, what kind of V-4 do you have?Last bike was a 1983 Honda V45 Sabre...gave it up in '99: I was slowing down but it wasn't. :cool:

If I were shopping today, this (http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/touring_sport_touring/model.asp?ModelName=ST1300+ABS&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=ST1300A8) would certainly be tempting. :eek:
One of the local PDs is using them.

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 8:22 PM
Dennis, everything I buy from Duluth Trading is superior is quality and very satisfying. They pretty much have cornered my tee-shirt, mock-tee and business casual shirt business at this point. Minimal shrinkage, heavy fabrics and the long-tails on the tees are absolutely wonderful for staying in my pants. The sizes run a little generous...I was buying their XLs as I like things roomy, but recently switched to just L as they are more like everyone else's XLs.

That vest might come in handy, BTW....not just for riding the cycle, but for when you are doing any kind of stuff out near the road on your property. I like to wear brights even when just mowing along the road as there are too many idiots driving by at about 65 in the 40 MPH zone in front of the house...

John Shuk
06-03-2008, 9:14 PM
Loud pipes also scare the uh... out of my sleeping baby when walking down Main St. in my nice quiet town.
Loud pipe are just annoying to me.

Heather Thompson
06-04-2008, 9:37 AM
Never heard anything bad about amsoil , so theres no facts other than one guys opinion to run from it?[/quote]

Craig,

I have spent alot of time at the race track (vintage two stroke racing) WERA member/rider. There are not to many racers that run Amsoil in thier bikes, granted we do tune our bikes pretty close to the edge and we do blow up occasionally. I have run Klotz two stroke oil in my race bikes for years, never a problem. I saw a Amsoil representative chased out of the pits at Road Atlanta when he was pitching his product.

Heather

Greg Heppeard
06-04-2008, 9:43 AM
Dennis,

Get a good light bar for the front and get the pulsating brake light system. If blue dots are legal where you are, use them too. There are air horns you can add and they don't look bad. (My wife made me get loud pipes, she's not a rider and used to be annoyed at them, but now she likes mine. You don't have to be an idiot and do the Harley rev at stop lights) With the matching carb jets and louder pipes, your gas milage increases. Good Memphis Shade windshield, crash bars, padded back rest and rear carrier along with a good set of saddle bags are also a must have....there's never enough storage room on a bike. If you plan on longer rides, a good set of highway pegs really help, along with a throttle rocker or cruise control on the throttle.

As far as cleaning, I just run mine thru the car wash when it gets dirty. After a couple of years, no rust anywhere. I just spray it off and use the spray on clear coat protector on everything, then towel dry.

I use the oil they put in at the Honda shop.

8800 miles since Oct 06....not a problem 1.

Dan Bussiere
06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
As was suggested earlier, go to the VTXOA forum website. There you will find all of the same silly arguments about loud pipes, helmets and oil. :(

As for my opinion, which most of you could care less about, loud pipes save lives simply because people don't like them and they bother them enough to take notice. :eek:

Make sure you not only have good front and rear lighting, but also make sure you are visible from the sides with decent marker lights.

Helmets-Yes

Vest- Won't hurt

Oil - if changed properly it doesn't matter ;)

Stupid people on cell phones - they are a problem for everyone not just motorcycles. Perhaps some folks don't like loud pipes because they can't hear their cell phones while they drive. :(

Cleaning - Any normal cleaners will do a good enough job. I have learned to use the Mr. Clean system with the filtered water rinse. It leaves no spots on your chrome if you let it dry all by itself (don't rub it dry with a cloth).

If someone doesn't ride a bike, they probably won't understand. ;)

My 2 cents.

Joe Chritz
06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
If people will pull in front of a fully lighted police motor with siren they will pull in front of anything. An emergency run on the motor is one of the scariest things I have done.

You are responsible for your own safety. Not just on a motor but on any vehicle. With proper riding techniques, keeping your head in the game and being careful you can avoid most accidents and the ones you can't you can greatly reduce any potential injury.

No matter how long you have been riding, a professional training class is a good idea. Not a class for new riders but one that is geared for experienced riders. Preferably a civilian version of a police cycle course.

That class was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Stay safe

Joe

Rick Moyer
06-04-2008, 8:01 PM
http://valk_ppl.jpg1. Here's some reading to keep you busy for a while: draw your own conclusions. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html
2.&3. I don't wax the pipes (or any of the chrome for that matter). Honda's chrome is excellent in my opinion and needs only occasional cleaning. I use a chrome cleaner/polish of which the name escapes me at the moment. The painted surfaces get a three step Maguire's (cleaner-polish-wax) when I really want it to shine, otherwise just a washing with mild soap (blue car wash) and a microfibre towel. Then blow dry with a leaf blower.
4. I had loud pipes on my last bike. I have since decided that their negative impact far outweighs any perceived benefit in terms of safety. They annoy most people, don't make you more visible, and give the general motorcycle-riding populus a bad name. I found that when adding a lightbar on the front I noticed many more people seeing me more quickly than before. Others have suggested a headlight modulator, which definitely will attrack attention; (but I don't like the look). A rear brakelight modulator will also help from behind. Another thing mentioned (which I did) is to install air horns. This way if someone doesn't SEE you they will certainly HEAR you! If you really want to be seen and don't care about your image you should get a white or orange helmet and wear a reflective safety vest over your clothing. Make sure to tape the nosepiece of your eyeglasses and stick some pencils in your pocket protector then ,too!

Seriously though, the best thing to do is become the best rider you can. Take a riding class, practice your skills, gain knowledge ("Proficient Motorcycling" is an excellent book), and be aware of what can happen so you can hopefully avoid it.

Dennis Peacock
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Holy cow Rick..!!!! That's a TON of info on motor oil alone!!!!!! Should only take me a week to digest what it's really saying. ;)

Thanks for the link to the info.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Okay Dennis....I've been thinking about this because I don't want my friend Dennis to be endangered so here's what you do in detail:

1. Let you hair grow long.....wear it in a pony tail......grow a beard...don't take a bath for 6 months.......Bleach your hair blonde. Go for that Hulk Hogan look. All the locals will think you are not local and they will keep an eye out for you!

2. License your motorcycle in New York State or better yet....Idaho. You know all the Arkies will keep an eye out for a motorcyclist from some place called Idaho!

3. Forget the bibs.....Get one of those surplus weather balloons.....the reflective aluminum ones....cut holes in it and wear it as a rain suit. Now the locals are probably going to think you are a crazy...and they'll keep an eye out for you.

4. Get a bumper sticker that says you are a proud member of Hand Gun Control Incorporated....Now we know what folks down there think of gun control.....they'll keep an eye on you!

5. Get a bumper sticker that says I support NAFTA. Now we know what the local folks think of that.....they'll keep an eye on you!

6. When you ride to and from work, I'd ride as fast as your bike will go....I think the locals will be keeping an eye on you....probably trying to catch err.......but you will be seen and getting hit by a car won't be a problem. Can you dodge bullets however?

:D:D:D:D:D

If the mods feel they have to edit this.....have at it ....I'll understand!:)

Al Willits
06-05-2008, 8:50 AM
Dennis, fwiw I think if you find any of the major brands..well..except pennzoil.. and find the ones that meet the required specs for the bike or whatever your driving, and change oil often and regularly you'll have good luck.

Synthetics seem to be "the" oil to use now and Redline is a very good brand if ya can find it, but watch for how much synthetic is in the brand your looking at, not all synthetic is 100% pure.

I ran Kendal GT Turbo in my drag and street bikes and it handled the heat the motors/turbo's generated well, also seemed to work well in day to day riding.
Amzoil seemed to be effected by the heat and or stress that the drag bikes put out and the lock up clutch would start to grab a bit, but I doubt your street bike will be subjected to that kind of abuse.

Regular maintenance and ride like they're out to get you, and you should be ok.

JayStPeter
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Loud HORN mod is a good one.

Steven Wilson
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Dennis,

A lot of the diesel oil's work well in motorcycle applications. Since I use a fair amout of Amsoil product for other applications and thus get a good discount, I would probably choose an appropriate Amsoil product and then go from there. Mobile Delvac 1 ESP (5W-40 full synthetic) and the Rotella's would also be on my list - depending on application. The OEM branded filters and fluids are also good although pricey. However, with some searching you can find more reasonable prices on OEM materials.

For cleaning, I use to use Cycle Car products. Found them at a Goldwing Touring Association event and they worked well enough that I used them until I quit riding. Kept my Goldwing, Ducati Monster, and Honda Steed (aka Shadow in the USA) in fine shape.

As for riding to work I liked my Aerostich Darien Jacket although I would probably choose an Aerostich Darien Light jacket if I was buying one today (IIRC the light wasn't available when I was riding).

Harry Hagan
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Dennis,
I’d highly recommend a motorcycle safety course before you even acquire your bike to develop good habits from the start. After you’ve been riding on a regular basis for about a year, take an advanced course. The best safety feature you’ll ever own is that gray matter between your ears and some good ole common sense. Also, loud pipes have saved me from getting run over on the highway and in parking lots on several occasions.
The best tip I can give you on cleaning you bike is to rinse it off with de-ionized water after you’re satisfied it’s clean. No wet towels to mess with and a simple everyday wash can be completed in a fifth of the time if have trouble with waterspots. Here’s what I use: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Ben Glaser
06-07-2008, 9:20 AM
Dennis,

Regardless of all the personal opinion junk that's been posted please understand that most modern motorcycles with the exception of Harley use wet clutches which don't play nice with regular motor oil which is full of detergents and slippery additives. You need a motorcycle oil formula that leaves out the stuff that will make your clutch slip. I personally use Amzoil motorcycle oil in my 03 Honda VTX1800. It made quite a difference in the smoothness of my transmission.

Randy Denby
06-07-2008, 9:42 AM
Not much to add....except just wanted to say my wife and I road the Talimena parkway out of Mena Ark a couple of weekends ago on my new BMW. (with a dry clutch :) ) 90246

Love to ride up there !!!!

Jason Roehl
06-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll tell ya...one blown head gasket will cure you of wearing shorts on a bike...DAMHIKT!

Randy Denby
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I hear ya Jason....I told my wife......"Wife, what ya doing? Arent you skeered of messin up those gams? Nope, she says...I needs me some tan. So wasnt any arguing with her. A few pee gravel miles later, she changed her mind :)

Wade Jacoby
06-07-2008, 12:13 PM

1. I'd use whatever Honda recommends (Honda oil, no doubt) or whatever you prefer. I like Valvoline and they have an oil just for motorcycles. It's probably more important that you change the oil about every 3K then what oil you choose, as long as it's good oil. As for the filter, I'd probably just stick with the factory replacements unless you can convert it over to a name brand like Fram or whatever and save a few bucks that way.

2. Call me old fasioned, but just a mild solution of dish soap and a soft rag for paint, rinse well and wax with a good wax. Some of the spray cleaner waxes now are pretty good and handy to have with you on the road if you want to shine her up a bit at a stop.

3. I don't think I'd use wax on the pipes, especially close to the heads where they get real hot. On brand new pipes (say you're replacing the factory ones) it's critical that they are completly clean before you fire it up and get it up to running temperature the first time. Even a fingerprint may burn in and leave a trace you won't be able to remove.

4. I ride on the premise that the guy in the car doesn't see you. Statistics say around half of all motorcycle accidents are either from a car making a lane change (usually to their left) or they pull out from an intersection (again, mostly when they are making a left turn).

A bright orange helmet is ugly, but it does stick out like a sore thumb. Your best bet though is to just assume you are invisible. Keep plenty of distance in front of you AND behind you. A motorcycle generally can out acclerate and out brake a car, so if you have to come to a quick stop remember that that car behind you isn't going to be able to stop as fast as you are.

Mainly just keep a safe cusion of space all the way around you, slow down and be prepared to stop at intersections where someone may be getting ready to pull out. They may not see you, and they may not be expecting you since motorcycles only make up about 2 percent of all registered vehicles in the United States.

Wear protective gear, at least a helmet and a leather jacket. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to ride without a helmet and just a T shirt and a bandana, but to me it's just common sense to protect the old noggin since it doesn't take much of a hit to mess you up bad.

Hope this helps. I love bikes. With a little common sense and some realistic risk assessment and risk management, you'll be okay.

Stay safe and watch out for the other guy!

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2008, 7:01 PM
As was suggested earlier, go to the VTXOA forum website. There you will find all of the same silly arguments about loud pipes, helmets and oil. :(

Dan,

Out of the 5 times I've been to VTXOA? It's been down 4 out of the 5 times with SQL errors. I still can't get to it today.

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2008, 7:06 PM
Okay Dennis....I've been thinking about this because I don't want my friend Dennis to be endangered so here's what you do in detail:

Wow Ken!!!! Great advice!!!!!! However, I'd like to live a little longer than 90 seconds after doing all that garb. :D

I'll have to print you post and tape it to the wall. ;)

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2008, 7:18 PM
OK.....so why all the questions about motorcycle care?

This is why :D
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/general/Shadow_Spirit_750_VT750C28_Red_Flam.jpg

2007 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit

This is motorcycle #18 for me as I've been riding bikes since the age of 6 when I got a Honda MiniTrail 50. I stopped riding when I got out of the Air Force and it's been almost 25 years of marriage later. We reached a point in life with my oldest son that he needed a dependable car and I needed a more economical way to / from work than a '94 GMC Suburban. :eek:
My son paid me a "dad's price" for the 2002 Sentra and I took that and got a great deal on a 2007 Shadow. I sure do love riding once again. :cool:

Randy Denby
06-07-2008, 8:28 PM
Nice bike Dennis !!! I too started off on a Mini-trail 70 back in about 68 or 69. Been riding dirt bike s all my life, so I cant get used to anything but a dirtbike riding position, hence the BMW. We are headed back up to Arkansas to ride in a couple more weeks,maybe we'll see you on the road. Take care
Randy

Kurt Strandberg
06-07-2008, 8:41 PM
I might as well add a pic of our bike, it's a 2001 Honda Goldwing GL1800 with our aspen classic camper.

79,000 miles so far and we love it.

Al Willits
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
""""""""""
Regardless of all the personal opinion junk that's been posted please understand that most modern motorcycles with the exception of Harley use wet clutches which don't play nice with regular motor oil which is full of detergents and slippery additives.
"""""

off the Harley website fwiw

ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN
Type: Air-cooled, 45-degree tandem V-twin
Valve arrangement: OHC, one intake valve, one exhaust valve operated by pushrods and hydraulic lifters
Displacement, bore x stroke: 1203cc, 88.85mm x 96.82mm
Compression ratio: 9.7:1
Carburetion: 1, 40mm CV
Lubrication: Dry sump, 3.6 quarts
Minimum fuel grade: 91 octane
Transmission: Wet clutch, five speeds
Final drive: Belt, 68/30

So much for personal opinion junk.

Al

Ted Jay
06-10-2008, 1:15 PM
I use Max-Cycle from Royal Purple in the Hayabusa.:D

Dan Bussiere
06-11-2008, 5:44 PM
Dan,

Out of the 5 times I've been to VTXOA? It's been down 4 out of the 5 times with SQL errors. I still can't get to it today.

Dennis,
I am not surprised. I haven't been there in a while myself. I did get tired of the "I hate Harley's" and "Loud Pipes save lives/No they don't" arguments.

As many have said, take a course, it will help. Otherwise just ride and enjoy.

I, and I'm sure many others here, wish you many miles of safe and enjoyable riding.

Dan

P.S. I am surprised no one in this whole conversation brought up "The Wave".;)

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2008, 8:03 PM
Dan,

I found a Honda Shadow forum that is GREAT and I've signed up for the Motorcycle Safety course for this coming Saturday. :D

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2008, 8:04 PM
I use Max-Cycle from Royal Purple in the Hayabusa.:D

Hey Ted....

Doing any 150MPH wheelies on the interstate on the Hayabusa???!!! I've seen some wild video's on YouTube doing this stuff plus 200+MPH on a bike. Crazy...!!!!!!!

Ted Jay
06-11-2008, 9:55 PM
Hey Ted....

Doing any 150MPH wheelies on the interstate on the Hayabusa???!!! I've seen some wild video's on YouTube doing this stuff plus 200+MPH on a bike. Crazy...!!!!!!!

UHHHH NO... I like to keep both wheels on the ground. As fast as the bike is I have no need to put a turbo on it to go..... faster?:eek:
Also Dennis, may I recommend a few videos for you to purchase. They will make a big difference in your riding. I had been riding for 22 years when I got the videos, 5 years ago, and I was amazed.
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/
You will not regret spending the money on the videos!!!

Ride safe,
Ted

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-13-2008, 5:00 PM
Dan,

I found a Honda Shadow forum that is GREAT and I've signed up for the Motorcycle Safety course for this coming Saturday. :D

good move, dennis!

i took the class back in the early1990's. i had been riding for years before taking the class. i still learned a few new tricks - and corrected a few old bad habits.

after completing the course, i got recruited to become an instructor and taught for about nine years before hanging up the range cards and red cones.

go in with an open mind and a learner's heart and you will learn something and have a good time while doing so.

the msf used to teach about 'space cushion'. good advice for keeping safe. basically, you want to keep a bubble around yourself and ride such that you don't let anyone, or anything into your bubble. adjust your speed or your placement on the road to maintain your bubble. when you stop to think about it, almost all accidents are avoidable, if you review the facts afterward. it's usually an error in judgment or execution of skills that contribute to the accident - unless a meteor falls on your head.

the two best things that you can practice on your bike are quick stops (not panic stops) and swerving. learning to stop your motorcycle quickly or maneuver around a situation quickly will be essential. msf courses used to spend a lot of time on this. get these two skills honed to where they become second nature, and the rest will take care of itself (although it's been a while, allow me to make a shameless plug for an article entitled "size matters" in the september 1996 issue of 'rider' magazine. i was one of the demonstrators in the article written by safety editor lawrence grodsky).

regarding oil - stick with any oil that is formulated for motorcycles. the wet clutches don't like regular car oil. brand doesn't matter, in my opinion. if you are worried about warranty issues, buy the oil and filters at your dealership and keep the receipts and make notes of oil change dates and mileage. after the warranty period is up, you can switch to pennzoil or valvoline motorcycle oil (or another brand of your choosing).

safety gear is always a good idea. the msf class used to spend a fair amount of time discussing. again, the open mind thing applies.

i have always worn full face helmets - regardless of what the law did or did not mandate. safe, comfortable protection. worth every penny. rain drops and june bugs both hurt like you know what at 70 mph. either will put an eye out faster than a red rider lever action 'bb' gun.

i have been wearing an 'aerostich' suit for the past twelve years. best money ever spent - after the bike purchase, of course. check out riderwearhouse dot com - or something like that. good protection and they are lined with goretex to keep the rain out. no need to carry that rain suit any longer. you can wear the riding suit over your bib overalls, too.

i like the loud pipes debate. that one has been going on since the first motorized bicycle rolled thru the neighborhood (while i'm not a big fan of loud cycles, i love the throaty 'boom' of an old air-cooled ducati 900 with staintune exhaust pipes. rev that bad boy up to red line and let those clutch plates clatter. THAT is a symphony of mechanical sound!) seems like folks don't realize that sound waves are directional. so, if you are worried about getting rear-ended, loud pipes may be the way to go. otherwise, i guess you could consider taping the horn button 'on' with duct tape. that would alert everyone in front of you that you are coming through. similar thought, but maybe more effective.:p

one final comment... most motorcycle accidents occur at intersections. the most common accident is an on-coming car turning left across your path. there are many contributing factors. the driver may be oblivious to the motorcycle, or the driver mis-judges the distance between themselves and the approaching motorcycle, or the driver mis-judges the speed at which the motorcycle is approaching. this is where the 'space cushion' technique and your honed skills will pay huge dividends.

what the heck... lay on that horn! yell if you have to!! :D

ride safe!

Patrick Nailon
06-14-2008, 11:20 PM

Hey Dennis,

I've been riding for nearly 10 years (wow, funny how quickly time goes by). As to the oil question - truly, anything you want to use. There are some who will SWEAR that oils with 'friction modifiers' will ruin your clutch (which is bathed in oil, unlike a cars), but I can tell you from experience using such oils that it's nonsense. I usually use Shell Rotella 5w-20, which is inexpensive and it works great. I've used synthetics, motorcycle-only oil (damn expense and no better), and Castrol GTX. Shell Rotella works great. Just change the oil regularly 'nuff, okay?

Clean chrome and paint just like you'd paint a car. There's nothing 'motorcycle specific' about chrome or paint - it's the same stuff they spray on cars. There are cleaners that spray on and take off the gunk pretty fast, and I like them. Otherwise you can use a bucket and whatever you clean your 4 wheeled vehicles.

Same goes for polishing chrome - motorcycle dealerships will try to sell you polishers made for 'your bike' or 'your brand' but chrome is basically chrome, so use a good quality, highly rated chrome polish, and you'll look like a million bucks.

Oh, and don't forget the Armor-All for you vinyl and leather!

Randy Denby
06-14-2008, 11:32 PM
All good suggestions Patrcik.....except armor all. I did that to my new '97 kawsaki kdx 220. Soon as I got on it, rolled on the throttle, the bike almost shot straight out from under me. Seat was so slick there was 'nt enough friction to grab my butt. This dirtbike put out maybe 35 horsepower, can you imagine a 100hp bike slipping out from under you,,,rather quickly too :) So I advise ...leave the seat and grips , grippable.