PDA

View Full Version : webhosting service

Jeff Heil
06-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Does anyone use a paid webhosting service for their website? I am exceeding the 20MB I get free through my ISP and want to find an affordable and more importantly, reliable service to use.

(The free one locks up on occasion while using my FTP utility and has connectivity issues that frustrate me to no end.) You do get what you pay for....

I have searched the web and found way too many unknown options. I don't need tons of space, <10 GB would work.

I already own the domain names and just need space.

Thanks!

Dylan Smith
06-03-2008, 1:15 AM
I've been a very satisfied customer of asmallorange.com for years - great service, great uptime, cheap as all get out... Give 'em a look see.

If anyone wants to sign up, there's a link that'll give me a few pennies in referral credit. I can PM if anyone's interested - don't wanna promote it in public here, as I don't think it's appropriate....

Mike Henderson
06-03-2008, 1:21 AM
I use DreamHost and have been satisfied. You get tons of disk space and more bandwith than I can use. I'm sure there's a bunch of good hosting services, however.

Mike

Robert McGowen
06-03-2008, 2:08 AM
I have used hypermart.net for 8 or 9 years. $99 per year and no problems at all.

Peter Luch
06-03-2008, 2:37 AM
I had a web based business for years and found Earthlink to be the most reliable and easy to work with. Getting a simple plan to start with and then upgrading later is easy and they have pretty good information online plus good web tools and customer service.
I still use them for my personal websites

Aloha, Pete

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 9:08 AM
I use myhosting.com and have been very pleased with them for years. The pricing is reasonable (not the lowest) and the services have been utterly reliable. They are North American based in Toronto. They also offer a variety of options. The Linux hosting deal is very good if you don't need the Windows-specific features. In other words, if you don't need ASP and don't use FrontPage for development.

Jerome Hanby
06-03-2008, 9:13 AM
Check out phpwebhosting. I switched to them years ago. They support all the cgi programming tools that I regularly use (or have some notion that I might want to use later), have no bandwidth restrictions, no transfer limits and bump your storage for free when requested. If I recall correctly, it's $9.99 a month, you get a break for buying a year at a time (although for some reason they don't handle an electronic transaction for the yearly payments). The very few times I've needed help, they were fast and professional. Their control panel is great for dealing with my sql databases.

David Freed
06-03-2008, 3:56 PM
I use homestead.com. $20/mo for up to 5 websites, 100mb of space, and over 15 gig/mo of bandwidth.

Mark Patoka
06-03-2008, 5:32 PM
I've been using GoDaddy for the past few years. I've been really pleased, talk to a live customer support when needed and appear to have decent prices. I was using NoMonthlyFees but they kept raising prices, impossible tech support and just didn't seem right.

regis helaine
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
i am with ixwebhosting, good service and 3 free domain names for less than 100/year

Reed Wells
06-04-2008, 6:11 PM
I use Yahoo for my two sites.

Raymond Fries
06-04-2008, 6:16 PM
I have used them for a long time and have been very happy with them.

Don Abele
06-04-2008, 6:24 PM
Like Regis I have been with ixwebhosting for many years and have never had a single complaint. Any problems I've had were on my side and I was able to get through to a tech at all hours of the day (and even on weekends). Awesome company and they just recently moved their entire data center to a new state of the art facility. I highly recommend them.

Be well,

Doc