PDA

View Full Version : My off-center chuck

keith zimmerman
06-02-2008, 9:45 PM
Here is the off-center I designed and had made for me. It is basically a screw chuck that is adjustable side-to-side.

The first photo is of the chuck closed. In this mode, it is a screw chuck. The second photo shows the chuck fully shifted. The third photo shows a front view of the fully shifted chuck.

keithz

keith zimmerman
06-02-2008, 9:46 PM
This is the 3rd view, fully shifted.

Bruce Pennell
06-02-2008, 9:51 PM
Keith great idea....you might want to start selling them....very nice simple design...Bruce
A lot of guys that do off center work just adjust their tail stock out by 3/8" or so, most just do it by eye trying to keep it in a straight line as they go. Very nice idea, simple design thats usually a good product to sell.

Jerry Rhoads
06-03-2008, 7:50 AM
Keith, I had heard you mention this chuck.
Good looking, working design.
Thanks for showing

Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2008, 7:59 AM
Nice design Keith - looks like it would be a lot safer to use than turning between centers!

Norm Zax
06-03-2008, 9:19 AM
Keith,
A question and an offer:
Q: Assuming that in pic#1 the chuck is supported by the 2 screws on one side and the adjustable on on the other side, what supports the chuck in pic#3? Hard to see if the screws are in place and the jaw somewhat opened, allowing for the shift. Looks like the adjustable screw is there all by its self. Am I wrong?
O: I'd add some embedded ruler or tape measure to have exact readings on off center shifts.
Keep up the good work,
Norm

keith zimmerman
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Norm, All three screws are in place on the front view. The two individual screws are not loosened at any time. They hold the aluminum front plate to the chuck securely. The single screw on the other side is loosened to make the shift.

I have not yet taken the time to mark any kind of measurements on the chuck yet, but may do so in the future.

keithz

Steve Busey
06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Keith, how do you secure the big mounting screw to the plate, to keep it from spinning?

keith zimmerman
06-03-2008, 1:12 PM
Steve, the mounting screw is ribbed where it goes into the aluminum plate. The ribbing keeps it from spinning.

keithz

Thom Sturgill
06-03-2008, 3:01 PM
Would it be worth putting angled slots for screws in the vertical jaws (as oriented in the pictures)?