PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Turning Stand Preferences

Dusty Sawyer
06-02-2008, 6:59 PM
I'm looking for an outboard turning stand to use with my Powermatic model 45.

I'm hoping that I can get some opinions on the different products out there. I've seen the Vicmarc and although it seems good in concept, it does not have the stable feel I was hoping for.

Has anyone used the new or old Powermatic stand, or the Jet?

Thanks,

Dusty

Matt Hutchinson
06-02-2008, 9:34 PM
I hate it when people reply to threads, only to say they don't know the answer. But I will be a hypocrite right now. I am interested in finding a floor stand as well. One thing I do know: if you can find an old floor stand scoop it up. I know a guy with a couple huge old stands, and they are solid as rocks. Now, they won't fit modern tool rests, but you can have an adapter post made, or find an old school rest to go with it.

Hutch

Bruce Pennell
06-02-2008, 9:56 PM
Mustard Monster site (http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/) has some great ideas. Just hit enter, then in the menu on the right look for; outboard turning/rests. Hope this gives you some idea's. If you weld or know a welder it should be very easy to make one.

Dusty Sawyer
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
My lathe is from 1962 and the tool rests have a 1 1/8 inch post. Although I modified the banjo I have will take a 1" post too by flipping and grinding the split-nut to take the smaller post. I've almost had my paws on one of the older stands a couple of times, but so far it has just happened.

I hate it when people reply to threads, only to say they don't know the answer. But I will be a hypocrite right now. I am interested in finding a floor stand as well. One thing I do know: if you can find an old floor stand scoop it up. I know a guy with a couple huge old stands, and they are solid as rocks. Now, they won't fit modern tool rests, but you can have an adapter post made, or find an old school rest to go with it.

Hutch