PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestios?

Bonnie Campbell
06-02-2008, 6:48 PM
I had my stepson build me a computer (Vista). Sort of just in time since my old XP computer totally conked out this morning....... on to my problem, NO keyboard will work on here. The mouse he had 'extra' with him will work, but a new one won't. Yeah, I know, ask him. That is in the works, waiting for him to call. But any suggestions where I culd possibly solve this sooner? Fortunately I found the 'on screen keyboard' so I can type at all.

:confused::confused::confused:

Chuck Wintle
06-02-2008, 7:06 PM
I had my stepson build me a computer (Vista). Sort of just in time since my old XP computer totally conked out this morning....... on to my problem, NO keyboard will work on here. The mouse he had 'extra' with him will work, but a new one won't. Yeah, I know, ask him. That is in the works, waiting for him to call. But any suggestions where I culd possibly solve this sooner? Fortunately I found the 'on screen keyboard' so I can type at all.

:confused::confused::confused:

A little more information would be helpful. You have a new machine with Vista and it does not recognize the mouse and keyboard? What is an on screen keyboard?

Bonnie Campbell
06-02-2008, 8:05 PM
Yes, I have a new computer. The operating system is Vista. No, idea what all info you need to assist (really sorry, I'm so comuter dumb :o).

The on screen keyboard is an optional way to use your mouse instead of a standard keyboard. It puts a little 'keyboard' on the monitor screen that you then use the mouse to 'type'. It is definately better than nothing, but I want my regular keyboard. When I plugged in the keyboard the computer found the needed driver and said it was now ready to use. But none of the standard key strokes work. The keyboard does have some 'fast' keys to open things like media player and email, they DO work. :confused:

Lenny Howard
06-02-2008, 8:49 PM
Yes, I have a new computer. The operating system is Vista. No, idea what all info you need to assist (really sorry, I'm so comuter dumb :o).

The on screen keyboard is an optional way to use your mouse instead of a standard keyboard. It puts a little 'keyboard' on the monitor screen that you then use the mouse to 'type'. It is definately better than nothing, but I want my regular keyboard. When I plugged in the keyboard the computer found the needed driver and said it was now ready to use. But none of the standard key strokes work. The keyboard does have some 'fast' keys to open things like media player and email, they DO work. :confused:

FWIW
Have you tried re-booting. Try turning the system off. Check your connections (make sure the keyboard is plugged into the right spot). Turn the machine back on. While it's performing the post test it should flash some information such as "hit F10 (or F2 or Del) to enter setup. If the keyboard still doesn't work re-boot again and this time press the key to enter setup. Scroll down through the menu using the cursors until you see something about keyboard. Make sure it's enabled. Scroll to where it says Exit and save changes. Press Y for yes.

That's the best I can describe it from memory. Hope it helps.

Johnny Fischer
06-02-2008, 9:00 PM
Sounds as though not all the drivers were installed for your hardware,
(i.e., monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.)
You need the original program driver disk(s) for the system & reinstall completely.
Reboot & you should be okay after that.
Good Luck

Bonnie Campbell
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. He was finally able to call. After going through half a dozen different things we did a 'from the start' system restore. That did the trick. I now can use the keyboard. Tomorrow I'll try hooking up the printer.... y'all be praying for me :eek: