PDA

View Full Version : Critique Requested

Ken Vonk
06-02-2008, 6:31 PM
I've only been turning for about 8 months and don't have a club or store nearby to get mentored / tutored. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I copied the idea from Ray Key's piece on the cover of the latest Woodturner Catalog (thanks Ray). The 'box' is maple burl that was pretty punky and rotten in spots. I stabilized with thin CA. The box is 5" tall and 3" in diameter. Wall thickness is 1/4" and follows the contures of the exterior. The base is walnut and is 6 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall. The lid with finial is from what I think is claro walnut. This is my second try at a finial and the lid is about 2 1/2" tall. Since this is in an 'oriental' style I finished with gloss wipe on poly and Beall buffed. It was a lot of fun figuring out how to turn this project and trying to learn the skew chisel!

Thanks,

Ken

Tony De Masi
06-02-2008, 6:36 PM
Ken, I absolutely love this piece. You don't usually see turners, or any other craft, with as little time at it as you producing such a beautiful piece. I think the finial fits the overall piece beautifully as well.

Very well done.

Tony

Mike Golka
06-02-2008, 6:55 PM
Excellent piece! You said you've been turning for 8 months, you meant 8 years didn't you? At least that's what it looks like.

Bruce Pennell
06-02-2008, 6:56 PM
Ken great job, love the piece.

robert hainstock
06-02-2008, 7:01 PM
Copy or not that piece is very artistic, and beautiful. Congrats. you will be teaching us all soon. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob

Dennis Peacock
06-02-2008, 7:15 PM
Ken,

From what I see...it is nicely done and attention to detail is clear and clean. I'd like to see a profile shot of this piece...just to check curve consistency and such. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2008, 7:22 PM
Wow Ken!! Congrats on an extremely impressive turning! Beautiful woods, forms and finishes! I love the imagination! Like Bob stated - copy or not - this is artistic! You had to figure out how to turn this and with no one else to ask for assist - that is exceptional!

I look forward to seeing what you are turning next! Thanks for posting!

Ken Vonk
06-02-2008, 9:18 PM
Here is a profile picture. The photo came out bad so I didn't post it earlier :eek:

I was able to have a 5 hour lesson from Wally Dickerman about 6 weeks ago. My Dad has been turning for about 15 years and spent a week showing me the basics when he came and delivered the lathe as a present to me.

thanks everyone, don't hold back because I'm new. Let me know what you would have done different and why please.

Ken

Dennis Puskar
06-02-2008, 9:30 PM
That really is a very nice piece,nice work.

Dennis

John Shuk
06-02-2008, 9:54 PM
Nice piece Ken. As a critique I think the finish is a bit too much for the piece. It is a bit glossy for my taste and I think you may have been more well served with an oil non film forming finish. I think this would allow the Maple to mellow with age and would bring out the warmth of the wood.

Ken Vonk
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the critique. I like the softer look too. I thought my daughter might like the gloss finish because of her like for oriental things. Are you talking about a tongue oil or something similar. I am only familar with wipe on poly and CA so far. I prefer the look of the satin wipe on poly but am wanting to learn about other finishes, how to apply them and when to use them.

Thanks,

Ken

Keith Burns
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Ken, what an ambitious undertaking ! The wood choices are perfect. The finial is great and fits the design. I really like the stand. Overall its is a wonderful piece, like others have said, copy or not. A couple of things show up it the profile though. The lid doesn't set flat on the top. The second thing is you seem to have lost the curve in the middle half of the body. Avoiding flat spots will come with practice. You can use a small straight edge and roll it on the side to help see them. Those are two small things. Like I said, you have done a great job, especially with only 8 months turning !

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Ken that is a beauty. I wish I could have turned something that nice after only 8 months. The only thing I noticed was the lid not sitting flat. I like the gloss on it. It really makes it stand out.

Horst Hohoff
06-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Great piece, Ken!
I wouldn't dare to publish anything I made 8 month after taking up turning.

Horst

George Guadiane
06-03-2008, 5:48 AM
I like everything about this daring piece...

But the finish, and here is why:
The finish isn't the same across the whole piece. The cover/finial are glassy smooth, and on the base, you can still see the grain. The vessel, with it's voids is great! It is an OUTSTANDING piece for anyone, especially with the amount of time you have at turning. If you get the grain smoothed out on the base/stand, and give the whole thing a semi-gloss+ finish, I would consider it for best in show.
JMHO
G

robert hainstock
06-03-2008, 7:59 AM
You might try , (if you want too) satin rub on poly. And to fill the pores in any open grained wood Apply a coat or two, and remove it, (sand it down) with one of those green scrubby pads from the grocery store. This process gradially fills the pores and leaves a smooth surface. Still a beautiful piece!:D:D
Bob

Jim Maxwell
06-03-2008, 8:05 AM
I like it. A nicely balanced piece, well finished.
Jim

Allen Neighbors
06-03-2008, 9:37 AM
You are to be commended for the expertise with which you have turned this piece. It is exceptional, for a turner who has only been at it for 8 months!
But then, of course, just to detract a little from the kudos... you've been fortunate enough to have received instruction from Wally? How lucky can you get!?!?!?! (Not to detract from your Pop's basics, at all, nor his gift.) :) You are indeed a fortunate man.
Great job!!
Now, to get in touch with Wally...... hmmmm..... :)

Joe D'Attilio
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Critique I can not, but that is absolutely stunning - I only hope I can turn something 1/2 the caliber of yours in 8 months!

Glenn Hodges
06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Ken, you are to be commended at picking Ray to copy. We all start out copying what others have done, and you chose a challenging piece. The good thing about you is you gave him credit. The piece speaks for itself and your ability. I can't give you credit for the design only because it belongs to Ray, but appreciate your expertise in choice of woods, workmanship, and finish. Thanks for letting us view such a beautiful piece, and I look forward to viewing more of your work.

curtis rosche
06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
thats amazing

John Shuk
06-03-2008, 9:03 PM
Ken,
The base especially pulls off the oriental influence very well. It is a nice piece and you should be proud of it.

Ken Vonk
06-03-2008, 9:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I can see a 1/4" or so straight spot on the side :eek::eek: I also had trouble getting the lid to fit the angle of the top of the 'box'. What would you guys use? A skew chisel? A thin parting tool? I had to cut back at an angle while still mounted on a waiste block and ended up with a little chamfer where the lid transitioned to the part that sticks down into the box. Make sense...lol

Thanks again,

Ken