PDA

View Full Version : computer recomendation

Greg Stanford
06-02-2008, 5:57 PM
I've got to get a cheap computer fast (started an online class, no money, gotta do it now), is this a really terrible option or would it do me in the short term? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-dv6810us-15-4-Widescreen-Entertainment-Laptop-DV6810US/sem/rpsm/oid/207702/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Sorry, know this is really off topic but you guys & gals are a great source & as always I do appreciate the help.

g

Joe Pelonio
06-02-2008, 6:06 PM
This came up recently, the HPs used to have an overheating issue, we have to keep ours elevated, or it shuts itself off. Google for the HP forums and check out that model. You can get a Dell for that price, but have to wait for it to ship. Also look at what's available at Office Depot and Costco if there's one near you. This Toshiba for example is less, the only difference I can see in features is less memory.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/435770/Toshiba-Widescreen-Notebook-Computer-With-Processor/

Chuck Wintle
06-02-2008, 6:28 PM
Sometimes you can find refurbished units at Best Buy or other stores quite cheap. Also Dell may have refurbs too.

Jim Becker
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Yea, Dell and Lenovo refurbs are very often good buys and you can get the business quality machines for less than "consumer" prices.

David G Baker
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't like Best Buy. The prices may be great going in but their service department has its own web trash site. I have had good luck with the latest HPs but make sure you can return the computer if you have a problem. I bought one from Walmart and had to return it couldn't get it to keep running. Went next door and bought 2 from Sam's Club and they have been working great for the past two months. The price was around the same as most other sellers and no funny business.

Bob Moyer
06-04-2008, 9:53 AM
I've got to get a cheap computer fast (started an online class, no money, gotta do it now), is this a really terrible option or would it do me in the short term? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-dv6810us-15-4-Widescreen-Entertainment-Laptop-DV6810US/sem/rpsm/oid/207702/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Sorry, know this is really off topic but you guys & gals are a great source & as always I do appreciate the help.

g

Perhaps one of these guys can put one together for you

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Computer_Service_Repair/Gulfport_MS.html

Jeffrey Makiel
06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
My last two computers were Dell refurbished units at the Dell Outlet online store. Great price. Like new, if not new. Same warranty. Good service. Delivery in 3 or 4 days.

Happy hunting,

-Jeff :)

Jerome Hanby
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I've not bee the least bit impressed with HP/Compaq in recent years. I concur with the suggestion to spend the same money on a Dell refurb. As an added bonus, a refurb may come with XP and you can avoid all the Vista problems.

Dave Rawn
06-04-2008, 1:22 PM
All I can say is Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway. I have had Gateway computers since 1989 and have been very happy with them. I just got a new laptop and its great. You can go to the Gateway site and check out the new prices and then check out the refurbished ones. You won't be sorry

Rob Russell
06-04-2008, 2:06 PM
All I can say is Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway. I have had Gateway computers since 1989 and have been very happy with them. I just got a new laptop and its great. You can go to the Gateway site and check out the new prices and then check out the refurbished ones. You won't be sorry

We used Gateway laptops at work for a while. They had a much higher failure and repair rate than the Compaqs.

Prashun Patel
06-04-2008, 2:12 PM
I purchase computers for my business. We've used Dell's exclusively for a decade. The quality - like the quality on ALL electronics - has gone down considerably.

IMHO, a computer is a 3 year purchase. At $600, that machine's hard to beat for basic 'Office' type applications and Internet browsing. One thing: make sure you've factored in the price of your OS and wordprocessing package. The two together might run you a few hundred more $$.

Anymore, when I buy a computer I just call Dell and ask them "I want a machine with Windows XP Pro and Office Professional. What's the best machine I can get for $X?".