PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's doesn't want my money!

Laurie Brown
06-02-2008, 5:50 PM
For some time I've had my eye on a new air compressor. With the arrival of my economic stimulus check, I was ready to go buy! I browsed around on Lowes.com and found what I wanted. The Kobalt 26-gallon upright compressor with 6 air tools for $299. But, the item wasn't available at my local Lowes. I searched all the Lowes in my area (we have three in town, three more within an hour's drive). Nothing. I was surprised that I couldn't just order online and have it delivered like I can on many other sites.

So I got on the phone and called Lowes. I told them what I wanted to buy and wanted to know how I can get one. The lady I spoke to did a search and said they were available in three towns that were 2 to 3 hours drive away one way. Umm... I said can't they ship one from one of those sotres to my local store so I could go buy it? She said she'd ask the shipping manager and someone would call me back within 24 hours. That was last Thursday.

Today, I received a letter in the mail from Lowes. They apologized for the confusion about the item, and said that it was no longer available either online (although it's still on the site) or at my local area stores. If I want to buy one, I should contact the one store three hours away that has one.

Ok, I don't see why they can't ship one to my local store, because I'm not driving 6 hours just to buy an air compressor. I've bought items like this before from other places (like Sears), even from other states, and they never had any problems getting the item I want to a local store if it wasn't available here.

So, I guess I just saved $300 and Lowes just lost a sale. Maybe two, as I'm also looking for a chainsaw....

alex grams
06-02-2008, 5:54 PM
Sorry that they wouldn't do that, it seems odd that they still list it if they don't stock it or won't make efforts to provide an item they list.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-02-2008, 6:38 PM
I can say I' a little surprised based on dealing with the local Lowes.:confused: As for the chain saw--go to your nearest Stihl dealer and don't mess with any of the big box stores.:)

Peter Quinn
06-02-2008, 7:00 PM
Yeah, weird, I just heard a report on Bloomberg News about how Lowes is doing better through the economic slow down (is it a recession? who knows) than the orange borg due to their "Customer Service" and chain wide ability to attract DIY customers. They stated in this report further that Lowes specifically designs their stores and markets many products to women who make as it turns out a majority of the purchasing decisions in any given house hold. The report also credited Lowes helpful friendly customer service generally as a reason they have gained market share from the orange borg.

Maybe you could call them back and remind them about their core business model? Or maybe you dodged a bullet. If customer service is that bad before they have your money, imagine what it must be like if something breaks!

Steven DeMars
06-02-2008, 7:36 PM
Buy Ingersoll-Rand . . . . You will chase parts down the road for a store brand compressor 5 years from now when it's needs repair . . . . . . . .

Laurie Brown
06-02-2008, 7:57 PM
I have a compressor my dad put together over 30 years ago, using the compressor from an old freezer and an electric motor using a belt to drive the compressor. I bought a tank for $35 and some fittings and coupler and a gauge to hook it all up, so now I don't need to buy a $300 compressor. Sweet! ;)

This compressor has been in our family for as long as I can remember. My dad had it out in his shed he built himself, with an old tank strapped to the ceiling, and we used it to pump up play balls, inner tubes, bike tires, cars tires, etc. When my parents sold their house and moved after he retired, I inherited the compressor. It's been sitting in my garage for over three years now, because I didn't know how to hook it up. This incident gave me the incentive to figure it out.

Dave Lehnert
06-02-2008, 8:17 PM
I would go to the store and ask for a transfer. It has been 5 or 6 years but once had a Dewalt Scrollsaw sent from a lowes in north Richmond va to here in Cincinnati. Had it in less than a week.

The 1-800 number was unable to help. Something about a store is not able to ship an item outside it's zip code but put me in touch with the store and they set everything up no problem at all.

Lee Koepke
06-02-2008, 8:37 PM
Yeah, weird, I just heard a report on Bloomberg News about how Lowes is doing better through the economic slow down (is it a recession? who knows) than the orange borg due to their "Customer Service" and chain wide ability to attract DIY customers. They stated in this report further that Lowes specifically designs their stores and markets many products to women who make as it turns out a majority of the purchasing decisions in any given house hold. The report also credited Lowes helpful friendly customer service generally as a reason they have gained market share from the orange borg.

Maybe you could call them back and remind them about their core business model? Or maybe you dodged a bullet. If customer service is that bad before they have your money, imagine what it must be like if something breaks!
yeah, they seem to have forgotten which customer base that kept the franchise alive during their downtimes. I went to our local store to pick up some 1x4 syp ... low and behold, there are now down to ONE aisle of lumber, and ONE 8' section of SYP. Thats it .... approximately 30 1x4x8' boards. In approximately 170,000 square feet .... It sickens me. Lowes used to be my "go to" place for all kinds of building supply stuff ....

Billy Chambless
06-02-2008, 9:19 PM
So, I guess I just saved $300 and Lowes just lost a sale. Maybe two, as I'm also looking for a chainsaw....

I always advise people not to buy chainsaws from big box stores anyway. Service tends to be nonexistent.

Steve Flavin001
06-02-2008, 9:39 PM
Lowe's and go elsewhere but apparently you felt t was a pretty good deal to have gone to as much work as you have.

Given that, and assuming you still want it, you can consider sharing the same story with the Lowe's District or Region office management and probably get a little better attention - they evaluate the store manager(s) and set their performance goals and salaries based in part on this sort of thing. :(

Dennis Meek
06-02-2008, 9:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with our local area Lowes. For the most part they have some very knowledgeable staff and great customer service. I stopped in to buy a corded drill and was interested in buying a Milwaukee but they no longer carry them. I asked why and they said that the customers won't buy the expensive tools. The Milwaukee line collected dust and that got too expensive to stock.

Every time I go buy both of our Lowes (they are about 10 miles apart), the parking lots are full and they appear busy.

If you see items not being stocked its due to no demand for that item. Blame the customer not the store.

Bruce Wrenn
06-02-2008, 10:53 PM
A couple weeks ago, I bought a "floor model" mower from Lowes. It was actually a return, as someone had cut their grass with it. The drag bar was missing. (This is a CPSC required item.) Owners manual said not to go back to store but call manufacturer for missing parts. Called and was told to "Take a hike", or get out my check book. Went back to Lowes to see if they could get part for me, at a reasonable price. Dept. manager said the easiest thing for them was to rob a new mower, than to deal with manufacturer for missing part. They did. Thanks Lowes.

Rob Will
06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Stihl chainsaw. Owned them all but I would use nothing less.

Make sure your home made compressor has a working pop off valve and a water drain.

I would pass on the Kobalt compressor anyway so no loss there.

Rob

David Freed
06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Get a Stihl from a dealer. It will cost a little more, but you get a lot for your money.

James Hart
06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
A couple weeks ago, I bought a "floor model" mower from Lowes. It was actually a return, as someone had cut their grass with it. The drag bar was missing. (This is a CPSC required item.) Owners manual said not to go back to store but call manufacturer for missing parts. Called and was told to "Take a hike", or get out my check book. Went back to Lowes to see if they could get part for me, at a reasonable price. Dept. manager said the easiest thing for them was to rob a new mower, than to deal with manufacturer for missing part. They did. Thanks Lowes.

Bruce,

You should have asked who the person from the CPSC should ask for when they call the company about this. Hard to believe a company would want their machine out there without the blade guard.

Some companies would send you the part if you bought that mower at a garage sale.

Jim

Tom VanPay
06-03-2008, 12:05 AM
The only place you are going to be able to buy Milwaukee tools is Home Depot. They are now exclusive to the HD. This was announced in the past couple of months.

Wayne Cannon
06-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Now that you've located it, the local Lowe's store might be more motivated to do the legwork for the transfer, since they are the one that get's the sale. Assuming, of course, that you still want the Lowe's compressor now that you have your Dad's rig working!

Billy Chambless
06-03-2008, 7:50 AM
Get a Stihl from a dealer. It will cost a little more, but you get a lot for your money.

Yep. There may be some other saws that are as good, but nobody can touch Stihl's dealer support. My dealer, when selling a new saw (or other piece of equipment) always fuels it up, starts it, and makes sure everything works properly. They've been a great source of advice and information.

And as far as price, within the same class of saws, their prices are close to what Lowe's has anyway.

SOme folks go so far as to say find a good dealer, then buy whatever brand saw they have. ;)

Chuck Saunders
06-03-2008, 8:09 AM
Stihl may be good, but it isn't perfect. I don't care much for the exclusive dealer only - no parts - no service manuals - we do it or it doesn't get done attitude. I had a string trimmer that came with a carb that basically can't be adjusted and yet can go bad. $100 and (2) week long delays, I am back to a working trimmer. I realize that the dealer has an enormous influence in these situations and Stihl is not junk. When it came time to buy a new chainsaw I went with a Husqvarna from Lowes. <RANT OFF>

jeremy levine
06-03-2008, 9:22 AM
Is seems to me thier web sitte inplies exactally that you want
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=sos/SOS.html

Press them on this , or call the store that has it and ask it they can get it to your local store..

Jim Becker
06-03-2008, 9:26 AM
Chuck, other places sell parts for Stihl if you need them. Bailey's for example. My local dealers will also sell parts without requiring that they install them.

Chuck Saunders
06-03-2008, 1:48 PM
I am sure so Jim, and I don't doubt the Stihl quality. Now PA is a little far to go for service:). I have just found that of the dealers I have encountered, my impression was not favorable.

Pete Bradley
06-03-2008, 3:18 PM
Sounds to me like it's discontinued and their web site just hasn't caught up. No big surprise since the big boxes tend to sell whatever is the cheapest import that month.

Pete

Roger Morris
06-03-2008, 4:01 PM
I bought the very compressor w/tools you mention a couple of years ago. Took it home and set it up exactly as the directions said. Fired it up and the vibration was so bad it walked across the garage floor. Took it back, went to Sears and bought a Craftsman. My family has had very good luck with the Craftsman compressors for many years. Figure the Kobalts were junk and they were tired of replacing them. As for chainsaws, Stihl gets my vote too.
Roger

Brian Elfert
06-03-2008, 4:16 PM
I stopped at a few Lowe's stores to look at compressors and the stock was pathetic at all of them. I talked to one local compressor manufacturer and they are having problems getting tanks due to the worldwide surge in demand for steel.

I ended up buying a used Ingersoll-Rand 60 gallon compressor from CL for $200.

Ben Cadotte
06-03-2008, 4:49 PM
It may be for the best on the compressor. It will be a loud one. For the price its probably a decent deal for someone that doesn't have any of the items. But I would not fret over not being able to get it. I made the mistake of saving $100 on a Craftsman oilless compressor, when I could have gotten an oiled unit with higher CFM and larger tank for $100 more. I chose to go cheap and bought a noise maker. I now have a large oilless compressor in the shop. Still have the sears (in the house garage), but when I use it, its outside where the noise is covered somewhat by the walls.

I have a 15 year old or so Stihl chain saw that see's intermittent use. Used, stored alot, used, stored alot. And honnestly not really taken care of that well. It always starts by the 3rd pull (useually by the 2nd). Very very happy I bought it vs some other cheapy one. Thats one thing I am glad I didn't go cheap on when I bought it. I have some HF tools, but Stihl will always be my choice for chain saw.

Billy Chambless
06-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Chuck, other places sell parts for Stihl if you need them. Bailey's for example. My local dealers will also sell parts without requiring that they install them.

Mine does, too. Parts and manuals. The parts lady did mention that Stihl officially "discourages" selling service manuals to customers, but then she laughed and ordered it anyway.

But the topic is drifting. The point here isn't that Stihl rocks; it's that Lowe's pretty much sucks, at least for anything that's going to need support.

edited to add: of course, this goes for pretty much any big box, high volume, price-point oriented store.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-04-2008, 7:34 AM
The only place you are going to be able to buy Milwaukee tools is Home Depot. They are now exclusive to the HD. This was announced in the past couple of months.

I bet that marks the end of Milwaukee as we knew them.
-Jeff :)