PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2004, 9:18 AM
Well.....another weekend has come and gone.

<font size=+2><b>I sure had a great week off from work!!</b></font>

This was the first time in YEARS that I have taken off work just to take off and do whatever.....I really liked it. I spent as many hours every day in the SHOP and got a lot done.

1. Finished "LOML's" pair of adirondack chairs.
2. Finished the little table that goes with the set of adirondack chairs.
3. Turned a mahogany bowl (still learning how to turn a bowl).
4. Worked on my Jet 1236 lathe about 1 dozen times...troubles with the speed control...so what's new.
5. Turned some pens.

Well yesterday was Easter and it was spent at church, and then a very fine Easter Dinner with Family and friends.

So what all did YOU do this weekend.?

Best of weeks......

Aaron Koehl
04-12-2004, 9:53 AM
Hmm... I spent much of weekend here, in front of a terminal. :D

John Miliunas
04-12-2004, 9:56 AM
Got the carcass built for the bathroom vanity and got the doors made for it. Turned a couple pens, did a very temporary patch job on part of the roof, played host to step-daughter & new boyfriend. Big meal on Sunday. Pretty good weekend, albeit WAY too short, as usual! Have a great week, all! :cool:

Kurt Aebi
04-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Put the last coats of Poly on my niece's jewelry box and cut some dividers for 3 of the 4 boxes that make up the jewel box. All that's left is putting the felt on the bottoms of each box. I am using a black felt with glitter embedded in it - LOML thought our niece would find it "Cool" looking.

Put the final coat of Poly on F-I-L's bookcase and will be putting the top and shelf supports on tonight.

Glued tubes into 5 sets of pen blanks in preperation of my new pen mandrel's arrival. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Finished some shelves for a co-worker's nursery - he wanted some narrow shelves to put his new baby girl's stuffed toys on. Nothing fancy, just some pine shelves with scroll-cut angle bracket supports.

I'll post pictures of the jewelry box and bookcase when complete.

All in all, a very productive weekend.

Tyler Howell
04-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Great Weekend! Entertained family and outlaws with first dinner party in 3.75 years. Finally took down the CSMS and workbench in the dining room. New kit worked well. Had to RTFI for the new stove. Not use to all these fang dangled digital contraptions. Whether shop or kitchen, I sure like playing with the toyls.

Cooked up a roast leg of lamb with marmalade glaze, dirty rice, veggies, with Greek and Mediterranean salads. Carrot cake to finish. Only downer, don’t drink the stuff, don’t even own a pot, no coffee, my sister was assigned that task!

I’m going to post some pix, promise! Still searching for before pix so you can appreciate the full impact! 103-year-old house with only one kitchen upgrade back in the early 60s was long over due.

Some trim work and floor sanding to go. Can’t find one of those floor sanders with the 4 ROS pads in town. Called about ½ dozen places.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Last week was stressful professionally and yet enjoyable personally. Worked 70 hours between 0700 Monday and 0300 Friday. 2 pieces of down equipment and an installation going on simultaneously. Finally got 2 more bids for a ww shop. Tossed one bid due to talking with company twice...gave specs twice......finally got a bid from them....still not to my specs! Friday talked with the other contractor....meeting with him today or tomorrow as our schedules will allow. Saturday....slept in.....made drawings for replacing 36" door for existing shop with a 48" door so I can get my new t/s out on the carport to use it. Went to Borg got materials to frame in new door. Too late to start.....napped......had supper with LOML for the first time last week at HOME! Sunday, staked out location of new ww shop in backyard. Had family dinner. Went to Borg, bought and installed replacement garbage disposal. Now I'm thinking I'll change the alignment of the new shop. Fun decisions. With a little bit of luck I could sign a contract for a new ww shop this week and construction could begin shortly! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oops.....this is a maybe GLOAT?

Ken

Scott Coffelt
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Tore apart and rebuilt (new legs) the walnut base on the guest room nightstand. Saturday afternoon I had a day out with my son and took him to see Scooby Doo 2, someday when he is a little older we'll be able to make it to the baseball game, but at 4 this was just as much fun.

Rented "Something's Got To Give" and "Cheaper By The Dozen", but very funny, we had family video night.

Watched the Master's, what a finish.

Looked at more land, may be getting closer to finding something that fits my criteria.

Had a nice Easter.

Dave Anderson NH
04-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Dog and Ben from Shepherd Tools were a little late getting to my house-- they arrived early Saturday morning due to delays in leaving and a 2 hour wait crossing the border into the US. We took off for the Homestead School where a small crowd watched their slide presentation and a bunch of us built infill planes. Afterward we returned to my house and had a few beers and talked with friends for a while. Sue prepared a great dinner of baked and breaded haddock along with all the trimmings. Then we repaired to the shop to go through the tools in the chest I received Friday from my uncle in Idaho. The guys were a great help in identifying age and type on a bunch of the tools. Some thing which would have taken me weeks or months. Then lo and behold the love of my life came down to the shop bearing a tray with carrot cake and ice cream. Talk about being spoiled. After wine and some more talk the guys hit the sack early. Sunday morning was breakfast and more talk and looking at tools.

After the guys left at noon I repaired to the shop to to turn some snakewood marking knife handles and put on the first coat of finish. All in all agreat weekend. Yes, I'll post some pix tonite.

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I was not overburdend with woodworking this weekend :rolleyes: but did get into the shop on Sunday for a few minutes finishing off a utility bowl from a nice piece of ash I got from Alan Turner as well as some needed cleanup and rearrangement. I'm trying to find the best location/orientation for the table saw so that I have some assembly space for larger projects that are on my list. It appears I'm going back to the angled arrangement I had two revisions ago...some things just come around more than once!

Saturday morning, LOML and I drove out to the Longwood Gardens picnic area to meet with a bunch of her online friends from TableTalk. It was a nice time and the weather was glorious for an outdoor meal. Upon returning home mid-afternoon, I finished grading the area of the property down by the road and got it seeded in anticipation of the rain called for on Sunday. That pretty much blew the rest of the day and early evening, so after a quick meal, LOML and I watched Dirty Pretty Things for the "DVD of the week" and then I returned to my office to finish getting this new computer fully configured and working with various peripherals. I'll finally get around to getting the previous Dell ready for my father's use in the next week or so...the machine I bought him a few years ago is pretty much limping heavily and needs to be "euthanized" really soon!

Sunday, in addition to the shop work, I got the taxes done and transmitted as well as finished up the edits on an article for WOOD Online that was due a week ago.

Hopefully, the coming week will start to bring more shop time as I try and twist my own arm to take advantage of the time that really is there, but sometimes gets ignored. Have a safe week, folks!

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Is there a thread yet, Jim, discussing your new avatar?? It warrants one me thinks! :p

Well, I had another weekend of sprinklers. I swear, I am going postal with this stuff. Why didn't I just hire someone to deal with this mess? The LOML and I have already discussed HIRING someone to resod the back yard so once the sprinklers are in...I am paying for a new lawn!

All I can say is that I finally see light at the end of the tunnel and the rest of the work shouldn't be too bad. Still a fair amount of digging. Boy, what hell it is trying to figure out someone else's design...especially when buried 18" deep! :(

So, weekend #4 of zero ww'ing has come and gone...sigh....

Tyler Howell
04-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Chris Padilla]Is there a thread yet, Jim, discussing your new avatar?? It warrants one me thinks! :p

Try this oneChris . We've made some inquiries and comments, Now it's your turn to carry the ball.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8527

Tom Peterson
04-12-2004, 1:02 PM
spent the day on Saturday taking apart my new saw so that the LOML and I could carry it in the basement. After the church and family stuff on Sunday commenced re-assembly operations. also started demoliton as we are expanding our garage and adding on a three seasons porch.

Fred Voorhees
04-12-2004, 4:31 PM
This weekend was centered almost completely around getting all of the floor joists down in my old attached garage which is getting renovated into a nice rec room with bar and pool table,etc. Two attached pics display the results.

As it turns out, there was a 5 inch difference in height from the back of the garage to the front. It necessitated 2X8’s – 2X6’s and 2X4’s to meet the height requirements of the different area’s. Yet to be added to the joists is the bridging that I hope will further reduce any warping or twisting that the PT SYP may do as it dries over time.

First of all, thanks to Jim Becker for the idea of running the joists across the slope of the garage instead of along the slope as I had originally intended. Jim’s idea made for much less work. Jim’s method required only that I use a single bevel rip on each joist. The slope of the floor extrapolated out to a 1 ½ - 2 degree bevel needed for the bottom of each joist so that they sat plumb.

Started out by “shooting” around the complete room with a transit and then transferred a measurement down to where I wanted the top of the joists to be located. I then strung masons line in three locations from side to side and from front to back at this height and these told me two necessary things. First, the side to side strings told me that the floor was consistent in its level from side to side, meaning the single bevel rip would be good completely across the floor. Once that was established, they were taken out and the strings from front to back told me the height of each individual joist at the higher end of the beveled bottom. From there it was plenty of cutting to length, ripping and nailing in place. There are a few places that the structure has to be tweaked, but all in all, it came out pretty darned level.

I had planned to raise the door in the back of the garage to meet the new height of the floor. As you can see in the one photo, I still need to add two more joists in the door area because presently, they interfere with the door swinging open. Raising the door would mean that I had to completely tear off the relatively new vinyl siding on the exterior of the back of the room and raising the door and then putting it back up. Today however, I was looking at that area and you know, there would only be a small step up into the room from this back door if I didn’t raise the door and go through with all of that extra work or the vinyl siding. I stood there for a number of minutes and tried to visualize the final results of having this small lowered area of the floor at the door entrance and I do believe that I can live with that- as opposed to all of the extra work that “could” be involved in going the other way. I will be putting a laminated (probably Pergo) wood floor down in the room and from what I understand, it can be put down directly over concrete with its foam underlayment in place between the two. I will have to check on that for this small area. If not, there are plenty of other options like tile, carpet or a myriad of other products.

Either way, I am a little happier knowing that I may not have to deal with a lot more work that was originally planned on. Next is the insulation between all of the joists. Foam hardboard and loose unfaced batts fill the joist voids.

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 4:48 PM
Fred,

Nice work! Be sure to GLUE & SCREW the subfloor to the joists...avoid future squeaks.

I was looking at your thoughts for the door. Couldn't you just cut the door (or even make yourself a new one)? I've no idea what it is made of so forgive my ignorance here. I would think very hard about NOT having a smooth transition from the door to the rest of the floor. I think you are asking for future niggling issues having a step there...namely tripping over it or not being able to fully swing the door open could be a few. Heck there might even be a code somewhere about the step height...I dunno. Looks like a great start, however!

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 5:09 PM
Looks GREAT, Fred! Very, very nice job.

I will say that I'm kinda with Chris on the door thing. This is a once in a lifetime time to "do it right". Given the "social nature" of this space, any small level change like that could make for hurt ankles, and the like. The issue isn't with "you", it's with any guests...

Tyler Howell
04-12-2004, 6:08 PM
Nice Fred. That looks like it would make a great shop! Bigger than mine.:D

Byron Trantham
04-12-2004, 6:30 PM
Still working on the sewing room conversion. Spread 400 lbs of lime in anticipation of the rain - it's here! :) Did a little cleanup of the shop. I will be buying a load of melamine to start the first of the cabinets for the sewing room.

Steve Clardy
04-12-2004, 7:08 PM
Visited with three of my grandkids :D that came for the weekend. Heres pic of one of them.
Also got a good start on next cold season's wood supply. It usually takes around 8-10 cords for the shop, 4 for the house.
Theres 4 1/2 cord stacked here behind the shop now. :D Have a ways to go yet.:rolleyes:
Steve

Fred Voorhees
04-12-2004, 7:49 PM
I know I know. Well, the issue still isn't completely resolved. I have to check local codes as to using a ventless fireplace. If not allowed, I will have to vent and that would mean going out the back wall and well, that would mean taking down the siding anyway. Told the LOML that tonight. So, I go to the building inspector tomorrow, and get some details and thoughts. Damn, I HATE going to the building inspector. Reminds me of all of the crap I had to wade through the last time when I built the detached garage. Months of cowtowing to old bluenoses.

Fred Voorhees
04-12-2004, 7:52 PM
Nice Fred. That looks like it would make a great shop! Bigger than mine.:D

Tyler, I am completely satisfied with my current shop. And besides, that space would be WAY to close to the living quarters with the noise issues. No, this space has long been planned for a nice big shop built oak and walnut bar. Big old brand new pool table where I can finally teach my wife the art of angles - a dart board, nice cozy fireplace for warmth and a kegolater for chilled Coors Lights and a big old television for myself and my racing buddies to watch the weekly NASCAR races. I've waited long enough.

Jim Becker
04-12-2004, 8:01 PM
...I can finally teach my wife the art of angles...
I've spend enough time around your wife to know she already knows all the angles...:p...just like mine.

Chris Padilla
04-12-2004, 8:01 PM
Lemme know when you're done, Fred...I'm coming over! Sounds like a great plan...wish I had a space for that! Wait, I do! The crawl space under my house could become a basement! :D But, boy, will that cost a pretty penny.... :(