PDA

View Full Version : USA / Canadian Made Tools

Rob Will
05-31-2008, 6:32 PM
What are your favorite USA / Canadian made tools (or shop supplies) and in what city / location are they manufactured? If they are no longer in production, where were they manufactured?

I don't want to start a debate - just looking for a list of USA or Canadian made stuff that I can put in my shop and feel good about it.

This can include anything from a pencil to the largest old iron.

Thanks,
Rob

Steve Flavin001
05-31-2008, 6:51 PM
determine where the stuff is made anymore, except for the realtivey rare (small) company that advertises and at that becaue of the difficult position they are in. Who can identify tools that are less than 100% made in USA? Are the "made in..." tools machined or stamped here but with foreign blanks?, How about the blanks made here, but from foreign steel?, and determine tools made and/or assembled in any other country and/or of any imported material, packed here; etc. etc.

It is safe to assume that "foreign content" is misused similar to the way autos "manufactured" here are called such if a small percentage of the parts are made here - or there.

Take a look and Google "USA made tools."

Dave Lehnert
05-31-2008, 7:10 PM
Everything Shopsmith. I just purchased the belt sander and it works 100% better than any other I have used. Very well made tools.

Oh! They are in
Dayton, Ohio

Bart Leetch
05-31-2008, 7:28 PM
I'll say that my Delta Unisaw manufactured in 1940 & Delta lathe manufactured in the 1930's are my favorite tools not sure where in the US they were made.

Miller Falls & Stanley hand tools.

Michael Faurot
05-31-2008, 7:32 PM
Veritas (Lee Valley) - Canada
Lie-Nielsen - Maine

Joel Goodman
Anything by Lie Neilsen. All made in Maine and a company that stands behind their products. Also a lot of Lee Valley - Veritas stuff. All their Canadian products are shown in the catalogue with a maple leaf icon. The USA made are also indicated -- the stuff not marked is presumably mostly of far east origin. Also good folks to deal with!

Mark Carlson
A shop full of tools but few US/Canadian tools.

General 650 cabinet saw: Quebec, Canada
Shark Guard: Alabama, US
Clearvue mini cyclone: South Carolina, US
Lie Nielsen Planes/Chisels: Maine, US

Thats all I can think of:

~mark

Dan Owen
05-31-2008, 7:45 PM
All made by General out of Drummondville Canada

350 table saw
15 inch drill press
14"planer
8"jointer

All quality tools where old school design still rules

Ron Dunn
05-31-2008, 7:52 PM
I think it is less about the geographic location of the tool maker, and more about minimising the separation between the guys who design, make and sell the tools. The best situation to me is when the guy who designs and makes the tool is the one who answers your eMail or telephone call.

Tom Godley
05-31-2008, 7:59 PM
When I was growing up my dad loved Miller's Falls tools -- from MF Mass. My brother has a lot of them now.

I began to purchase quite a few off of e-bay. Many are very high quality and it is surprising how cheap you can get them. I am talking hand and measuring tools for the most part ........but

The first saber saw I used was a MF -- always liked it. It was the kind that you held the motor - no handle. I bought a Bosh, Milwaukee, and a cordless dewalt -- did not like any of them. I just found a MF on e-bay $6.00 + $5.00 to ship -- I am in heaven! The thing looks new!

Jim Becker
05-31-2008, 8:56 PM
Oneida Cyclone is made in Syracuse

I don't have one, but the Robust Lathe is USA made

Quite a few hand tools by Lee Valley are north American made.

Lie Nielson hand tools

Brent Smith
05-31-2008, 9:01 PM
Older Delta
General
Veritas
Lie-Nielsen
Blue Spruce
Konrad Saurer
Shark Guard
Belfab dust collectors
Lion Trimmer
Wentzloff (sp) Saws
Medallion Saws
Barr Tools
Leigh jigs
Jessem router lift and table
Oneway lathe (on the wish list)

There are probably a lot that have escaped me at the moment. The point is that you can find NA made tools and machines fairly easily if you look, and in some cases are willing to spend the money.

Gary Herrmann
05-31-2008, 9:36 PM
I'm sure some of my tools are US made, but the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are my vintage chisels, drills, braces and saws.

Don't have any Lie-Nielsens yet. Do have a lot of Veritas tho.

Oh wait, I'm sure some of my drill and router bits are US made. My zc insert for the TS. Forrest blades , miter gauge, Jessem sliding table...

General TS, jointer and planer.

Lusted after a Robust lathe, but just can't justify the cost at this point. Would like to have a Sawstop, but the 650 is a fine saw, so don't think I need it. Now if I cut off a finger, I may change my mind.

Theres a fair number of chinese and taiwanese tools too. And a couple european.

Scott Loven
05-31-2008, 9:58 PM
Most of The Kreg tools are made here in Iowa.

Scott

Bond Turner
05-31-2008, 9:58 PM
I have a few of my favorites:

Oldham router bits-all made in USA in OK somewhere, very good quality bits and you can find them cheap on ebay

Milwaukee power tools-though they are now foreign owned, there are still a large portion of the tools made in the USA and they still have a 7 year warranty on their tools.

Bostitch air nailers...made in USA and 7 year warranty. I have eight finish/brad nailers and though have had some minor problems with some of them from one time or another, they always fix them right.

Also, suprisingly I have a Bosch miter saw that was amde in Connecticut. Its a 12" dual bevel. I use it every day and have never had a problem with it.

I try and buy American as much as I can...but it is getting much harder anymore.

david scheidt
05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
This can include anything from a pencil to the largest old iron.

I've got a favorite pencil -- The Mirado Black Warrior. It takes an excellent point, either conical or shaped, and resists breaking. it's also got a superlatively good eraser. (not that I ever make mistakes!) They're round, though, which has obvious disadvantages for shop use, so I mostly end up using Mirado Classics, which have a slightly less excellent lead, the same eraser, and a hexagonal barrel. They're both made in the US (In Tennessee, I think.) (I detest "carpenter's pencils. Never used one that wasn't made with awful grainy lead.)

Rob Will
05-31-2008, 10:38 PM
I've got a favorite pencil -- The Mirado Black Warrior. It takes an excellent point, either conical or shaped, and resists breaking. it's also got a superlatively good eraser. (not that I ever make mistakes!) They're round, though, which has obvious disadvantages for shop use, so I mostly end up using Mirado Classics, which have a slightly less excellent lead, the same eraser, and a hexagonal barrel. They're both made in the US (In Tennessee, I think.) (I detest "carpenter's pencils. Never used one that wasn't made with awful grainy lead.)

Busted! Nothing but USA made Mirado Black Warrior pencils in my shop.

This is turning out to be a really nice list - thanks guys!

BTW: I'm reasonably sure that my Moak 36 bandsaw and American 24" jointer are 100% USA content.

Rob

chip hamblin
05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
A few off the top of my head - no intention of slighting any not mentioned:

Thompson Lathe Tools - N. Olmsted, Ohio - 5/8" Bowl Gouge

Pat Warner - Escondido, California - Router sub-bases

Beall Tool Company - Newark, Ohio - Buffing wheels

Carpe Lignum - Torne Lignum (Ruth Niles) - Newville, Pennsylvania - Stainless steel bottle stoppers

General Mfg - Drummondville, Quebec - Model 350 Rt tilt table saw

Veritas Tools - Ottawa, Ontario - medium shoulder plane and many sharpening aids

Oneway Manufacturing - Stratford, Ontario - Talon chuck and other lathe accessories

Rob Will
05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Most of The Kreg tools are made here in Iowa.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I think KREG tools are great! Now I know where the K3 Jig comes from.

Rob

J. Z. Guest
05-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Pony & Jorgensen clamps, still made in Chicago. I choose them over Bessey every time.

Starrett combo square; not sure where Starrett is made.

fRED mCnEILL
05-31-2008, 11:36 PM
I find it interesting that both the Aikeda and Leigh dovetail jigs are Canadian products from British Columbia. Also the Dowelmax is a B.C. Canada product.

Fred Mc.

Cary Swoveland
05-31-2008, 11:38 PM
There really are quite a few, once you start thinking about it. Ones that come mind that I don't think have been mentioned are:

Dowelmax (North Vancouver, BC),
Akeda The Jig Co. (Brakendale, BC)
Bench Dog (Maple Grove, MN)
Jointech (aka iTools Co., San Antonio, formerly San Jose)
Incra Precision Tools (Dallas)

Cary

Rob Will
06-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Pony & Jorgensen clamps, still made in Chicago. I choose them over Bessey every time.

Starrett combo square; not sure where Starrett is made.

Yep, those Jorgensen pipe clamps are the best (IMHO). I looked at all brands and just purchased 48 of the 3/4" pony clamp. (some were for a friend's wedding present:cool:).

I also have 40 of the Jorgensen 7200 series bar clamps:D.

Chicago is a great town to visit. The museums are fabulous!

Rob

John Binando
06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I really enjoy my Canadian made Accusquare table saw fence and router table made by Mule Cabinet maker. I also think the Osborne Miter guage is North American made.

Simon Dupay
06-01-2008, 1:11 AM
Northfield-Northfield, MN
US made Powermatic,Deltas,Porter-Cables,Milwaukees, and Craftsmans
I don't mind assembled in the USA I believe that American workers put more effort and pride in their work then the Chinese do. the chinese do what their told to do no more,no less

Bruce Benjamin
06-01-2008, 2:25 AM
EZ Smart Tools by EurekaZone. Not only are all the tools invented and made in Edison, NJ., but Dino the owner is a great American. He's also one of the most generous contributers to SMC charity give-aways. If any American company deserves our business it's this one. Unmatched customer service too!:cool:

Bruce

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2008, 3:57 AM
Hello,
This is by far may all time favorite. I was reminded again yesterday, when a stubborn carriage bolt wanted to turn free because it had stripped out the wood, how good Vice Grips are.

Rob Will
06-01-2008, 9:04 AM
Hello,
This is by far may all time favorite. I was reminded again yesterday, when a stubborn carriage bolt wanted to turn free because it had stripped out the wood, how good Vice Grips are.

Where is Vise Grip made?

Rob

Steven Wilson
06-01-2008, 9:10 AM
Lie Nielsen planes, Oneida cyclone, and Oneway lathe are my N. American tools of note. I presume the old Foley retother is made here too as are a bunch of old saws I need to restore someday.

Jim Becker
06-01-2008, 9:43 AM
I Would like to have a Sawstop,

FYI, in case you didn't know, the SS is not made in north America.

Eddie Darby
06-01-2008, 9:45 AM
All made by General out of Drummondville Canada

350 table saw
15 inch drill press
14"planer
8"jointer

All quality tools where old school design still rules

Yes real nice. Good quality.

General International is made outside of Canada though, confusing a bit.

I hear that General is ganging up with Gorilla for CNCing. Good be good.

Rich Engelhardt
06-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Hello Rob,

Where is Vise Grip made?
U.S.A. - is all Irwin says on the web site.

Jim Knishka
06-01-2008, 3:07 PM
I scanned and a few names I didn't see here were Whiteside router bits, Keller dovetail jig, Vega fences & accessories. I had thought Starrett was but low and behold their website lists some overseas plants.

Oh, and Ridge Carbide Tools

Greg Hines, MD
06-01-2008, 3:17 PM
Porter Cable is manufactured in Jackson Tn, and Craftsman, at least their hand tools, are all made in the USA.

Doc

Larry James
06-01-2008, 8:27 PM
Woodpecker.com (http://www.woodpeck.com/) - "Like all Woodpecker woodworking tools, made in the U.S.A. in our own machine shop."

US or Canada, as far as buying, same to me.

Larry

Rob Will
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I like Baldor electric motors.

Here's a link from the CEO about their made in USA success.
http://www.baldor.com/about/message.asp

Rob

Craig Summers
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Woodmaster Drum Sanders and Planers all made in USA -- Kansas City Missouri

Dan Lautner
06-02-2008, 1:17 AM
"North American made" doesn't mean much to me."

I think that term is used to describe US/Canada made (no offense to mexico). The US and Canada have a very healthy and equal trade. Although we have are political differences with Canada, they are a huge part of our economy and we theirs. China, Japan and Germany on the other hand do not have fair trade with the US. I prefer not to buy from any of these three countries when possible.

Two companies make superior tools and unfortunately they are both German.

Festool - Guided saws, Domino, Sanders and Vac, Kapex (don't own it yet)

Hilti - There whole line is better engineered and better built then the competition. Hilti tools are built for the long hall and priced accordingly.

Dan

Rob Russell
06-02-2008, 1:42 PM
WARNING!!!

This thread had some great content until someone decided to make it political. Another of the Moderators yanked this after it went decidedly in a political direction.

The political post (and the resultant replies) have been deleted from the thread so the original topic can be preserved.

Rob

Shawn Honeychurch
06-02-2008, 2:00 PM
1955 DeWalt MBF Radial Arm Saw. :D

Rob Russell
06-02-2008, 3:45 PM
I know that the RBI/Hawk scroll saws are made in Missouri. Don't know about the other machines they sell.

Garth Hulley
06-02-2008, 5:29 PM
Williams and Husssey, located in New Hampshire, manufactures a molding machine that is considered to be the best in its class. 100 % manufactured in USA, it has a Baldor motor on it.

I bought one several years ago. It was an excellent purchase.

On a trip through New Hampshire to New York, I stopped by to order some blades. I received a warm welcome along with a tour of the plant. It is reassuring to know that if I ever have a question I can speak to the people who actually make the machine. Try that with the clone that is made in Asia.

Living about 90 miles from Drummondville, where General manufactures its machines, I am in an area where every school woodshop and many shops have all their tools painted green. With so many school programs shutting down and small shops closing, I have been able to acquire a good number of older General machines second hand.

Denny Rice
06-02-2008, 5:35 PM
I love my D4R dovetail jig, a very high quaility jig made in Canada. I did a lot of research before purchasing this jig. I know there are people out there that do not like it because there is a "learning curve" to using this tool correctly and some do not like it because it will not cut pins and tails at the same time but I would not own another dovetail jig.:)

Ron Jones near Indy
06-02-2008, 6:58 PM
I use a pocket knife daily it seems. I carried my Old Timer knife for several years. It was made in the USA. I lost it several weeks ago. I decided to replace it with another Old Timer. I found they are now made in China. So much for Old Timer. I finally found a Buck that is made in the USA. It's a little larger than I wanted, but it maintains a sharp edge and does what I need done.

Scot Ferraro
06-02-2008, 9:43 PM
General Machinery out of Canada; Veritas; Lie-Nielsen and of course Starrett!

Thanks,

Scot

Rob Will
06-02-2008, 11:51 PM
....... It is reassuring to know that if I ever have a question I can speak to the people who actually make the machine. Try that with the clone that is made in Asia......

Oh yeah, I can see that happening.....
LOL

I recently purchased a Laguna horizontal slot mortiser (Robland knock-off made in Chiawan) that is a XXX. I called but at every opportunity the salesman (in broken English) gave me information that was not true (can we assume some cultural differences here?). Basically, I am rebuilding the machine with a USA made 3-phase motor. I never bothered to plug in the left only rotation XXX Chinese motor that the "salesman" assured me would be right rotation.

Every time I purchase something from Asia - I end up regretting it. Their cast iron is rough and full of bondo, the paint falls off, it smells like Harbor Freight, and it comes packed in a particle board container made from a mixture of sawdust and jello.

Rob

Chuck Harris
06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
My (one of the last) Delta Unisaw
Veritas Jointer, #6, #4-1/2, low angle smooth, Large and medium shoulder planes
Lie-Nielsen Lg scraper, cabinet scraper, chisel planes and dovetail saw
My (inherited from my dad) Stanley Bailey #4 and #3 220 and #9-1/2 block planes

and last but not least

The two wooden shoulder planes I inherited from my grandfather one still has the stamp of the Sandusky Tool co. Ohio #116

Craig Summers
06-03-2008, 3:57 PM
Two companies make superior tools and unfortunately they are both German.
Festool - Guided saws, Domino, Sanders and Vac, Kapex (don't own it yet)
Hilti - There whole line is better engineered and better built then the competition. Hilti tools are built for the long hall and priced accordingly. Dan

Flag of Liechtenstein
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/flags/ls-flag.gif
Point of clarification
Hilti (http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/editorial/edit_singlepage.jsp?contentOID=20053) is in the Principality of Liechtenstein (http://www.liechtenstein.li/en/), not Germany. I had a factory tour in 1994, I arranged that through a Hilti rep stateside. This is kinda splitting hairs, as you can practically stand anywhere in postage stamp sized country (62 sq miles, or 0.9 the size of Wash DC (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ls.html)) and shoot into Switzerland or Austria. It is so small that they use the public buses to deliver the mail between towns. They use the Swiss Franc (not the Euro), and still have the 'old' Swiss banking laws :cool:. With only 35,000 residents, most US cities and towns are bigger. Hilti is a common last name in the country, like Smith or Jones is here.

This is thier main manufacturing facility:
http://www.hilti.com/data/editorials/careers2/care2_building.gif

I do agree that Hilti quality is great, when you can give the tool to ironworkers and still have it functioning years later.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/maps/ls-map.gif

Louis Rucci
06-03-2008, 9:52 PM
I LIKE Woodpecker products.

Woodcraft does also as they have them under the "Pinnacle" brand.

Dan Lautner
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
"Hilti is in the Principality of Liechtenstein, not Germany."

Thanks for the geography lesson. I have seen Liechtenstein as well as Switzerland and Germany on the country of origin for Hilti tools. Unfortunately I have noticed a few made in China Hilti products on some of the newer stuff. Not a good sign.

Dan

michael flay
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Porter Cable is manufactured in Jackson Tn, and Craftsman, at least their hand tools, are all made in the USA.

Doc

Unfortunately alot of porter cables stuff is now coming out of mexico!

Joe Von Kaenel
06-04-2008, 3:13 PM
Folks,

I try to find tools made in the USA or Canada, but they getting more difficult to find. If I can't find tools from Made in the USA , I buy foreign tools from reputable companies like Grizzly or Shop Fox.

Most items carried by Eagleamerica.com are made in the USA, all of their router bits are made here.

Joe

Adam Grills
06-04-2008, 6:52 PM
I would say there is a line of when something is made in North Amearica and when it is assembled in North America. My GM truck says Canada but almost every part in it was made in another country. The quality of a machine is only as good as its weakest link where ever it was made. I have a number of machines, tools that say made in USA or Canada but I will bet that some of the components are not made here.

FYI, not all Baldor motors are US made.

My favorite tool in the shop 100% made in Canada is 12" Poitras jointer.

Adam