PDA

View Full Version : Our Competition

Joe Pelonio
06-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I have been contacted by a potential customer to do some work which he's
now having done by a place in San Francisco. I thought it was interesting enough to share. These people are basically a manufacturing service, you send the files, they quote it, then make it and ship to you. You can also sell or share the design and opt to let them sell the items on their website. Their materials are the usual, acrylic, a couple of other plastics, and thin woods. It appears that the extent of their manufacturing is laser engraving, cutting, and then assembly.

I won't give them free advertising by posting a link or name, but you can have a look by googling "mingle & share" and then select the link for a company that starts with Po

Doug Griffith
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Very interesting... and a pretty good idea.

I see it competing with service oriented jobs that would be ordered online, not local customers. For those of us who manufacture and sell our own wares, that website won't be able to beat our pricing because they need margin themselves.

If anything, it is a great resource for ideas.

Darren Null
06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
A few months ago there was a New Zealand outfit posted on here using the same business model....send the files and receive the bits in the post. With an option to sell the generated products on their site. Clever.