PDA

View Full Version : Hand checkering tools question

Dan Beilin
06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi.
I just ordered a checkering tools set for some work I plan to do. As I never used these tools before, I wonder how should I control the depth of cut?
Being simple tools (micro files or saws), there is no dept adjustment system on the head.
I laid out my patterns in Autocad and for what I want to get I should go .4mm deep (0.016", 16 thou). I bet my grooves won't be even in depth and I would appreciat any input I can get from the more seasoned woodworkers around here.
Thank you,
Dan

Jacob Reverb
06-02-2008, 6:16 AM
AFAIK, normal checkering tools like you would use on a gunstock are "self-limiting" as far as depth of cut -- they will only cut so deep, then stop.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26276&title=CAMP%20PERRY%20CHECKERING%20SET

Ray Gardiner
06-02-2008, 7:09 AM
Hi Dan,

I have a friend who does a lot of checkering etc...

The tools I have seen being used are the multiple head type and as you
work along on line the other cutter is riding in it's parallel groove. This
way the spacing is even. But the tools are for specific number of lines per inch.

Also to do clean up and detail, he uses a variety of tiny scrapers made from
grinding old hacksaw blades.

Good lighting and a magnifier headset are essential. Try and position the
lighting so that it's at a shallow angle to the surface.

When you get the toolkit, you should also get some templates showing
different pitch etc.

Dan Beilin
06-02-2008, 6:22 PM
Yes, these are the tools I'm talking about.
If they are self limiting then I think I'm ok; I wonder whether the single cutters are self limiting too. Need to see now how deep they cut. In the Autocad template (I made a Solidworks 3D model as well) they look good for a certain depth only.

AFAIK, normal checkering tools like you would use on a gunstock are "self-limiting" as far as depth of cut -- they will only cut so deep, then stop.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26276&title=CAMP%20PERRY%20CHECKERING%20SET