PDA

View Full Version : My Tree Guy Says its Black Oak

Pete Jordan
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
They were fun to make and I hope the recipients like them.

11x 6 and 12x 4

Finished with walnut oil.

Paul Douglass
06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
black oak or whatever it sure is pretty!

Bruce Pennell
06-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Pete very nice, love the wood....Great Job....Bruce

Glenn Hodges
06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Beautiful color and design sure makes these lovely bowls. BTW Pete, if they don't like them, they need their head examined.

Keith Burns
06-02-2008, 2:42 PM
Nice bowls Pete ! They don't look like the same wood but they both look nice. I think the recipient will love them.

Thomas Canfield
06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Pete,

Were these bowls from the same trunk section? The color seems so different on the exterior. I am glad to see the Black Oak since I picked up a section of tree trunk up in Missouri a month ago but have not done anything except cut out the pith and seal it. Only hope that my bowls have that wood grain.

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Beautiful bowls with some beautiful wood Pete. Well done.

Pete Jordan
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Pete,

Were these bowls from the same trunk section? The color seems so different on the exterior. I am glad to see the Black Oak since I picked up a section of tree trunk up in Missouri a month ago but have not done anything except cut out the pith and seal it. Only hope that my bowls have that wood grain.

They were from the same part of the same tree. My photography might have something to do with it. Paper towel under florescent lights.

Dusty Sawyer
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
No need to get all "pithy" about the coloration. I've had the same effect from fallen wood that I have harvested myself. Something of the variation that comes from the jnatural outdoor aging and wetness of the wood where it lays causes the color changes. Whatever it is, that's nice work you have there.

Allen Neighbors
06-03-2008, 9:54 AM
The wood in pic 3 looks like Black Locust. That could be attributed to the florescent lighting. But the rest of the pics don't show the 'rays' that are normally present in Oak wood. Is there such a thing as "Black Poplar"?? :D But whatever it is, they are absolutely beautiful! You did well, sir. Thanks for showing us these pretty bowls! :)

Reed Gray
06-03-2008, 1:01 PM
I agree with Allen that it doesn't look like oak. No rays that are common with oak. Oak also has a very distinct kind of vinegar smell. Good looking bowls though.
robo hippy

William Bachtel
06-03-2008, 5:36 PM
I also agree, it is not Oak. Bowls are cool, real cool. Thanks for showing us.

Pete Jordan
06-03-2008, 6:06 PM
So what is it? I have to give these out tomorrow and was hoping to write the type of wood on the bottom. Here are a couple of pictures.

William Bachtel
06-03-2008, 6:20 PM
If it were Oak, you could tell by smell, what does it smell like.Wet oak sometimes smells like dog do. Also if you split that stump piece in half you will see the rays clearly. Do you have any leaves. The bark looks like some Oaks but hard for me to tell. Lots of trees have that type of bark look. Hope this helps.

Burt Alcantara
06-04-2008, 9:42 AM
Looks like locust to me. Beautiful work!

Burt

Greg Heppeard
06-04-2008, 9:46 AM
If it can sing, it's black oak :eek: