PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using the Felder C3 31 Combination Machine?

Brian Groetsch
06-01-2008, 7:09 PM
I have decided to move up to a sliding table shaper to replace my router table, and replace my 6" jointer with at least an 8" model. The cost of both of these together will run at least $5000.00. The problem I have is the size of my shop. Currently, most of my machines are on mobile bases, or I just lug them to the middle of the floor of my narrow but long workshop (10X28). I'm afraid the addition of the shaper and the additional length of the jointer are going to take my space beyond it's limits.

I am considering consolidating most of my machines into a combination machine. I'm looking at the Felder Hammer C3 31. The 12" jointer and 4HP shaper with sliding table would more than fill the bill for my needs.

My big concern is the size of the unit and getting it into my shop. The only access door to my shop is 36" wide and a step down to the floor. The Felder wesite doesn't list the overall dimensions of the unit, but at near 1400 lbs. it sounds like a bear of a load.

Can anyone enlighten me to the size of this machine and their thoughts of it's performance.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
06-01-2008, 7:15 PM
I have an A3-31 jointer/planer -- that is, two fifths of the C31. I've had it since 1999, and have been quite happy with it.

I haven't needed to do this myself, but my understanding is that the C31 breaks into subassemblies -- like the jointer/planer chunk -- for transport.

There's a Felder/Hammer forum at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking/

Brian Weick
06-01-2008, 7:28 PM
there is one for sale in the classified section right now a C26 with all the bells and whistles ~ looks like an awesome machine , wish I had the room for it~ :(
Brian

Scot Ferraro
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM
You should be able to break it down to fit in a smaller space -- check out the Felder Group as the guys there can give you a more definitive answer. The one thing with the Hammer C3 31 is the shaper does not tilt (if that is important to you) whereas the saw-shaper alone tilts, though.

Scot

Jim Flynn
06-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Brian,
Moving a machine like the felder into your space is very doable.

I recently moved my MiniMax CU300 into my basement via a Bilco door entrance with a 36" doorway. The CU300 is just under 36" tall from base to the top of the table. With the MM CU300 it will not break down into pieces so you build a sled and turn it on it's side and then carefully slide it down the steps, into the shop then turn it right side up.

When I looked at the Felder's before I bought my CU300 used I recall the 700 series being capable of disassembly. If my recollection is correct the Hammer's didn't offer that benefit. I'd check with the guys at Felder to be sure the model you are looking at can be disassembled. If it can't I'd ask them about placing it on it's side to on a sled to get it into the shop. I doubt it is taller than 36 inches. With a few helpers, a few ratchet straps, hand winches and some levers it really isn't that hard.

I am a big fan of the combo machines for my shop. They give a ton of high quality power in a very small footprint. For a single person shop I really like the utility.

Good luck with your decision.

Jim

Brad Shipton
06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I have the Hammer A3-31 J/P and a B3 S/S. Well built machines and if you do not have space for separates, they make it possible to work in a small space. You do have to be a little more methodical when it comes to planning your work, so they are not for everyone. There was a FOG member that just recently was discussing trying to fit a combo machine similar to what you are considering into an even smaller space and many other members such as myself stuffed into small spaces.

Good luck
Brad

Brian Groetsch
06-07-2008, 2:59 PM
Jim,

It's good to hear the the MM CU300 was able to fit through your 36" opening. While I've been waiting for more information from Felder, I came across a lightly used CU300 Sharp for half the cost of a new Hammer. I'll be taking a little road trip to check it out next week.

What did you do to protect the hand wheels and paint finish for the slide down the steps?

Brian

Rod Wolfy
06-07-2008, 3:37 PM
Brian,

I have an older Felder 631. Great machine. Got it used and had it shipped home from California on a palet.

You can buy a 700 series (the new 500 series maybe too?) and separate them into two 31" halves, if the wiring is done that way at the factory (in the past, I think this was an "option" that you had to pay extra for.)

If I were looking to purchase a newer Felder combo, I'd get them as separates - jointer/planer and a separate saw/shaper. It would cut down on changeover times and such. Plus you can put the jointer/planer against the wall. Look into the new Jet jointer/planer 12" combo and then a Felder or Minimax saw/shaper combo....

Rod

Dewey Torres
06-07-2008, 8:09 PM
I recently visited a shop that put a huge Felder Combo into a basement. Fellow Creeker Art Frank, swears by "rigging companies". He said the rigging company did all the work and it was well worth the price.

May be worth looking into.
Dewey

Steven Wilson
06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Jim,

It's good to hear the the MM CU300 was able to fit through your 36" opening. While I've been waiting for more information from Felder, I came across a lightly used CU300 Sharp for half the cost of a new Hammer. I'll be taking a little road trip to check it out next week.

What did you do to protect the hand wheels and paint finish for the slide down the steps?

Brian

I just looked at my CU350 and if I were to put it on it's side I would place the jointer/planer side down. I would remove the handles for the jointer tables (very easy), mortiser (duh), handle for the mobility kit, and take off the start/stop switch (a couple of screws and an electrical disconnect - easy). I would also make a skid for the machine while on its side.

Remember, even if it can fit in the door opening it's a lot of weight. You may need to reenforce your staircase. Also the slider may get in the way. I would give serious consideration to having a rigger do the move. They have the equipment and experience to do this properly. It may be easier to remove the stair case, temporarily install a beam and winch it down.