PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Triton routers

Phil Thien
06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I have been thinking of building a 2nd router table. Right now my current router table uses a Jesem lift (the lower-end Rockler one) and a Dewalt 618 motor. I use a down-draft box connected to a shop vac for DC.

The Triton would seem to simplify things for me. I wouldn't need a down-draft box for DC. I wouldn't need a lift. Sounds like a good solution.

A couple things concern me, though:

(1) The Rack and Pinion fast adjustment via the handle. I see you pull it in and turn it to make coarse adjustments or raise the unit for bit changes. But how sensitive is the adjustment. Can I use this coarse adjustment, for example, to set my bit to 1/4"? Or will it shift when I release it, requiring that I also use the fine adjuster, too?

(2) The power button concerns me. I'd prefer to use a table-mounted power switch. That requires leaving the router's power switch "on." But it looks like these routers feature a power switch that turns off when you raise the unit to change the bit. So I'd have to reach under the table each time to turn the unit back on? Or am I wrong on this?

(3) Some concerns about durability. Reading some of the posts at Amazon, for example, people mention the fine adjuster is nylon and can strip out easily. I've read a post somewhere that the 3HP unit's columns don't keep the unit stable enough, that the unit can deflect. Have these issues been addresses with newer stock, or do I still have to watch out for them?

jerry nazard
06-01-2008, 6:15 PM
Phil,

I bought the 2 1/4 Triton about 6 weeks ago to replace a large old Elu that died. My router table top is hinged so I have easy access to adjustments, etc. The R & P rough adjust will get you pretty close to your final depth of cut: the fine adjustment dead on. Dealing with the power switch is no big deal - I switch it on before I set the top down and turn the router on and off with a table mounted switch.

This is my first Triton tool and I am quite happy with it.

Best!

-Jerry

Larry James
06-01-2008, 8:04 PM
...The Triton would seem to simplify things for me. I wouldn't need a down-draft box for DC. I wouldn't need a lift. Sounds like a good solution.

A couple things concern me, though: ...

I have an open table below the top, collection works great. I collect both from the fence and router.

1) I use the coarse adjustment for "ballpark" and then the fine adjustment. Very easy to use fine adjustment from below the table.

2) Like Jerry, I use a table mounted switch. Only need to reset the switch after changing the bit. I always unplug the router when making adjustments.

3) I have a 2 1/4HP Triton, no durability problems.

If you haven't read "Online Tool Reviews" (http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/toolreviewindex.htm) by Bill Esposito check his web site. Note: I don't know if this review has been updated, so some of the info may be out of date.

I would recommend the Triton router - very user friendly.

Larry

Wayne Cannon
06-02-2008, 4:44 AM
The Triton's fast adjustment can easily be used set the router to less than 1/4", or even 1/8".

I haven't seen any deflection nor reason to suspect any future durability issues in the six months I've had the router. The columns are very solid and appear to be well-machined. There is a binding that can make it difficult to make a one-handed depth adjustment with the coarse adjustment knob. Triton's technical support says that the binding caused by a slight mismatch between the bottom surface of the table top and the base of the router if the thin plastic base plate is removed from the router (most commonly encountered with the aluminum Sommerfeld Tools router table top), but that the problem goes away if the plastic plate is retained between the router base and the table top. I haven't re-installed the plastic base plate to confirm this diagnosis since I talked with technical support.

Ben Fleis
06-02-2008, 7:53 AM
(3) Some concerns about durability. Reading some of the posts at Amazon, for example, people mention the fine adjuster is nylon and can strip out easily. I've read a post somewhere that the 3HP unit's columns don't keep the unit stable enough, that the unit can deflect. Have these issues been addresses with newer stock, or do I still have to watch out for them?

Phil,

I have the Triton 2-1/4 router, and I suffered the durability problem. They were quick to replace the whole thing, but the important point is easy to remember: when using the normal adjuster, it tops and bottoms out on a solid stop. If you use the "above the table" adjuster extension, this doesn't have a solid stop, and if you over-torque it, you will strip the gear. I learned this from talking to the fellow at Triton. (By the way, Triton's service was excellent.)

-b

Greg Heppeard
06-02-2008, 8:54 AM
I just bought my 3rd Triton 3 1/4hp....I can't say enough good about them. As long as you blow them out occassionally, it should last a long while. When you mount it upside down, take the spring out, it makes it easier to raise and lower. Moving between the coarse and fine adjustments has never been a problem for me. Don't try to force the router to raise using the fine adjust and you should be fine, just adjust until it hits the stop point. I have never used the above the table adjuster so I can't comment on that.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2008, 9:56 AM
http://tinyurl.com/698k6j