PDA

View Full Version : PBS Woodsmith Show

Richard Venturelli
06-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Been watching this new series on my PBS station, up till yesterday it was very basic and what I would consider woodworking 101. But yesterday the show started to get more detailed. It was mostly about Planes and sharping them.

If you get a chance check this one out

J. Z. Guest
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for posting that Richard. I stopped watching it after the first two episodes because it was way too simple. It's almost like they watched New Yankee Workshop and thought: "Instead of blasting through stuff to finish a project in a half hour, why don't we go into detail on every little thing and never actually make anything?"

I prefer NYWS. I haven't seen the other ones, as I don't get the channels.

I may start watching it again based on your tip. I'd like it to be a show in which they actually make the projects featured in their magazine. As much as I like NYWS, I get a little tired of Shaker and other old designs.

Ben Cadotte
06-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Hahaha, I caught an episode on tv and didn't realize it was Woodsmith. Forget which channel had it. Not home enough to watch weekly anyway. I have NYWS and Woodworks on auto record on the DVR.

Jason White
06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I've watched every episode. I think it needs to be a bit more project-based. I'm all for spending time on the fundamentals, but at the end of the day I want to learn how to build something.

Jason

Been watching this new series on my PBS station, up till yesterday it was very basic and what I would consider woodworking 101. But yesterday the show started to get more detailed. It was mostly about Planes and sharping them.

If you get a chance check this one out