PDA

View Full Version : Has it been seven years already?

Stephen Beckham
06-01-2008, 9:12 AM
Wow - this is almost scary how thick these little guys are this year.

This is only one tree of about seven that look like this. You should hear the Cicadas roar! Seven years ago, I was in Merryland when they came out and it wasn't near as bad as here in Kentucky.

The ADT guy came out from the city yesterday and when he got out of the car he looked around and asked if I had a factory or something close by with all that noise - then it clicked. I show him the tree and he couldn't believe it.

Walking up to the trees is a crunchy experience. My 15 y/o daughter wants to cut the grass to see what it's effect will be. Then I told her that the noise would likely cause them to jump and fly like in the bible stories... She's gone on tempoary strike from driving the lawnmower... :eek::D:eek:

Jim Becker
06-01-2008, 9:19 AM
Yea, time for the next brood...but it's typically a 17 year cycle, Steve. But because there are different broods, it might appear that it's a shorter time frame.

Mitchell Andrus
06-01-2008, 9:40 AM
Last time they invaded NJ there were news reports of people needing sedation because the noise was driving them crazy. 'course, this IS New Jersey, so it's a short trip for some of us.

Really though, for anyone who has never experienced a heavy infestation (we do everything to the max in NJ).... you have NO idea what it looks and sounds like! A homeowner in a nearby town bagged up all of the spent skins just on his front lawn and filled TWO large black trash bags. It was shown on the local (New York City) news.

This video is about 7 minutes long... Turn it up as loud as you can and listen to it for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqys8lKsu4s&feature=related

Bonnie Campbell
06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Since moving down south I've been trying to recall the title of an old movie. It's about a woman being driven nuts by the sounds of the cicada.... I hit it just right the first year of being here, the major hatch happened. Geesh! Talk about a constant noise! Now I know why the ac's running constantly don't get to southerners, they're used to the constant hummmmmmmm lol

Richard Venturelli
06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
[quote=Mitchell Andrus;864030]
(we do everything to the max in NJ)....

Arent you guys about Maxed Out when it comes to TAXES? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Clara Koss
06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
i'm glad we have alligators and hurricanes.... hey do you fry those up and eat 'em???? ugh!!!!!

Richard M. Wolfe
06-01-2008, 1:41 PM
I think we have about three or four different species here and you can hear them all the time in the summer months. But there are not nearly as many as you have at any one time.

I agree what a guy who worked across the hall from the said, "Love the sound of cicadas. It means no freezing weather tomorrow." :D

Christopher Pine
06-01-2008, 3:29 PM
I was in Korea in 2006 and they had them there then! Was interesting to hear them again, as i had not for many years. I remember in Oklahoma seeing and hearing them. Neat memory you brought up for me!

Mitchell Andrus
06-01-2008, 4:24 PM
[quote=Mitchell Andrus;864030]
(we do everything to the max in NJ)....

Arent you guys about Maxed Out when it comes to TAXES? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

Yup. That's why I'm looking for a place in NC. or TN.

curtis rosche
06-01-2008, 8:13 PM
give your daughter a weed wacker and tell her to go after them, that might be kinda funny to watch

Richard M. Wolfe
06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I forgot to add in my other post that it's a good thing the sounds of cicadas (locusts) don't bother me. I have tinnitus and can hear them whenever I'm awake 365 days a year. I was taking a prescribed steroid treatment about 12 years ago when I first noticed it....that's probably what triggered it. The noise is more noticeable (louder?) at times but it's not a real problem as it is for some people as my brain 'dials it out', which is kinda strange as it's a compensatory brain situation to start. My hearing is as good or better than most people my age. But if I 'pay attention' to it (like right now) it's there all the time.

jeremy levine
06-02-2008, 9:01 AM
Flame Thrower

Richard Venturelli
06-02-2008, 9:04 AM
[quote=Richard Venturelli;864077]

Yup. That's why I'm looking for a place in NC. or TN.

Don't blame you. That State Gov. is driving many out of NJ. My mother lives there and retired. She still has to practice her trade, interior designer just to pay her property taxes.

Good luck getting out.