PDA

View Full Version : Pen mechanics question

Billy Dodd
06-01-2008, 4:05 AM
I quit turning pens a few years ago because the finish on the parts wouldn't stay. Just curious if the companies making these have gotten any better about the finish staying gold colored or not and if so who sells the ones that stay nice.

robert hainstock
06-01-2008, 7:44 AM
I make pens from several vendors and hav not expierienced any finish problems. Most of the pens I've made are from PSI. I have carried one of these in my pocket for over two years. Other than what I consider normal surface scratches, I detect no loss of plating. Other vendors I have used include CSUSA and Arizona pens. I have a lot more trouble with Wooden blanks splitting; Ebony, Walnut burl, and olive wood. There are lots of vendors, and I'm sure you'll come to a decision with all the advice you will recieve to your post. Welcome back. :eek::):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Ditto what Bob said. I have a Titanium Gold that I have carried now for over 2 yrs and only normal scratchs from being used. No flaking or wear on the unit. I buy mine from Berea Hardwoods and Beartooth Woods.

Jerry Sambrook
06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, the platings have gotten much better IF...
you stay away from the beginner/cheap series, and usually the 24k gold
The 10k/Upgraded golds stay real well usually as well as most of the other platings

I got away for a while as well partially due to the bad plating from the early/mid 90's, the bad pencil mechanisms from them, and from having an order of 200 sets (400 pcs total) which caused a burnout.

So the answer is generally yes

Jerry

Greg Ketell
06-01-2008, 1:55 PM
Craftsupplies has a good discussion on plating wear resistance on page 101 of their current catalog. If you don't have the catalog you can view it online on their website.

From hardest to softest
Rhodium/Platinum / Titanium: black/gold - 5 star
chrome - 4 star
10k gold - 3 star
satin platings - 2.5 star
black chrome / tactile / copper - 2 star
24K gold - 1.5 star

Hope this helps
GK

John Buzzurro
06-01-2008, 4:37 PM
FWIW, I found this on Berea Hardwoods's site:
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/price/plating.html

Billy Dodd
06-01-2008, 5:20 PM
I'll have to try again. The last pens I turned was somewhere in the late '90s. As for the wood splitting. The way I stopped that was after drilling the holes I would always let the blanks sit a few days to a week on some of the more exotics before putting in the barrels. If I had to re drill a hole I knew that was one I saved from splitting.

The reason I was wondering about the pens is I just bought a cherry burl that I cut up into 3/4 inch planks. I'm going to make some mirrors and jewelry boxes with some of it and thought about pens out of some of the offcuts.

Harry Goodwin
06-01-2008, 8:51 PM
I have never had a problem with PSI kits. Either I and my friends have no negative enzimes toward their plating or I am easily satisfied. I have heard of others problems and bough some upscale kits from the good places and see no difference. Harry