PDA

View Full Version : walnut logs - how to keep them

Terry Achey
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm having a tree service take down two black walnut trees in a week or so. One has about 18" to 20" diameter and the other about 12". Fairly straight trunks and very tall. The larger tree has about two sections about 8ft. each of straight trunk and would probably be good saw lumber. The shorter has about the same. But, I haven't had time to think about where to get them sawed, or how I would get them there. I certainly am at least going to keep some upper sections for bowl turning.

My question is how to keep the long trunk sections "healthy" until I can figure out if I want to have them sawed, sell them or just keep cutting sections off for bowls. Is anchorseal on the log ends going to keep them decent very long? How long do you think they'll last in decent shape raised slightly off the ground with anchorseal on log ends?

Tree guy said he may be able to sell the two long sections for maybe a total of $350 to $600. But, he wasn't sure. He didn't sound too keen on doing that for me anyway.

Frankly, although I'd like some flat boards for projects, I'm more interested in bowl stock. Don't know If I want to stack and dry a large amount of walnut outside and don't want to take the space inside.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Terry Quiram
06-01-2008, 7:40 AM
Terry

Your thoughts are correct. Anchorseal the ends and raise them off the ground. If you can keep them out of direct sunlight it would help but isn't necessary. If you are interested in keeping the sap wood fresh and white then use them as soon as possible.

robert hainstock
06-01-2008, 7:53 AM
The ideal storage would be under cover, but Terry is right about storage under weather First, and most definately off the ground. I obtained a Walnut log years ago, and very fortunate to fins a Bandsaw mill to cut it up. A bandsaw will have a much thinner kerf and waste less wood. Luck.:):):)
Bob

Jim Becker
06-01-2008, 9:26 AM
What Terry said....

Curt Fuller
06-01-2008, 11:59 AM
If you have to keep them stored outside in the weather it helps to also put a plastic bag over the ends after the anchorseal has dried. But also make sure you keep the the crotches. They'll be were the really nice figured wood is hiding.

robert hainstock
06-01-2008, 2:32 PM
Some of the most spectacular figure you will ever see, lurks in the stump. It'll be a bear to salvage, but very much worth it if you can. Again, good luck! :):):)
Bob

Allen Neighbors
06-01-2008, 6:27 PM
A gentleman that I met several years ago, in East Texas, had a lot of Walnut trees on his place. He had them cut down, then he got them cut into about 3x6 to 6x6 boards, and leaned them up against a limb laid between the crotches of two trees. He left them there for a couple of years, in the weather, in the woods, just turning them end for end every couple of weeks or so. I don't know if he had them off the ground or not, but they were verticle. Didn't know what he was going to use them for.
He built his own 8-sided house (round) out of Oak 2x12s that he had cured this same way. The 8 sides were 8x8 each, made from the 2x12s... very unique, and efficient. Also... just to add another glitch in the pudding... he was a blind man.

George Morris
06-01-2008, 6:37 PM
Terry where are you in PA ,I will be glad to take them to my house to dry!!

But seriously if you are in north central PA I have the name of a portable bandsaw mill. George....

William Bachtel
06-01-2008, 8:02 PM
Call woodmizer, they can give you the number of a bandsaw operator in your area. l-800-525-8100

Tom Keen
06-01-2008, 11:33 PM
We harvested a few walnuts last year. 18 inches is about the minimum that a buyer will want for flat stock, unless they are absolutely perfect, in which case they may be veneer grade and worth significant money.

If your trees are considered backyard or urban trees ie: planted and living around people they may not be marketable at all. The fear of metal in the wood will keep alot of log buyers from even considering them. In which case you have a lot of bowl stock.

I suggest you find someone that can slab your logs.. thicker is better. Store is a dry place. Seal the end grain and let it dry for a few years.. you will have some beautiful material. If you dont slab it. Leave the logs in as long of pieces as you can handle with the ends sealed.

And, he is right about the stump. In fact the most valuable wood you have may be underground. Walnut has a very long large tap root. Dig it out and you have the stuff high end gun stocks are made from.. very beautiful, very dense and very desireable

Terry Achey
06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Appreciate the helpful comments, guys. Let's see... crotches, stumps and Woodmizer. Got it. I will definately call Woodmizer to see what can be had. I don't want to waste any of the only two walnut trees on my property.

Too bad George. I'm in SouthCentral PA.

Bob, when you refer to the stump wood do you mean that which is at grade and just below?

Chris Struttman
06-03-2008, 9:40 AM
I got some walnut about eight months ago. One of the things that surprised me about it was that the heart wood bleeds into the sap wood. Terry is absolutely correct. If you want the nice contrast between heart and sap wood, you have to rough turn it very soon after harvest.

John Cooper2
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Have a friend that is taking down a Poplar tree that is 36" at the trunk.

would like to get some turning stock, some flat boards for a bench and allot of firewood.

Does the same apply to Poplar as walnut?

Nathan Hawkes
06-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Definitely, but I'd suggest you weight down the stack after its milled; poplar will move a little as its drying; warping & twisting all over the place. Some people will even resort to placing ratcheting nylon webbing straps like the kind used to cinch down loads in the back of a pickup truck.

Terry Achey
06-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Call woodmizer, they can give you the number of a bandsaw operator in your area. l-800-525-8100

Thanks for the tip, William. Friendly folks at Woodmizer gave me the name of four people in my area that offer the service! I'll begin making calls tomorrow.

Thanks again for helping ;)